Thread: Pick launching

Default Pick launching

I doubt I could repeat it, but yesterday I was playing on my back steps and when I finished, put my pick under the strings as always. When I let go, pick launched a good ten feet across my patio. First thought I had was good thing it wasn't a Blue Chip into ivy.

Anyone else have a pick launching story?

Default Re: Pick launching

I just dropped one of the bridge pins into my guitar. Never launched a pick, though.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

A few years back my wife and I were playing/singing a Jazz gig with a small-big-band for a small gathering. We were in a theater on a stage made of about 16 large and heavy 4'x8'x4' blocks that were fitted tightly together on a cement slab. During warm-up, as the sax player was standing and putting a new reed on his mouthpiece, the reed went flying, did a few summersaults, and slipped end-first into the 1/8" slit between one of the center 4'x8'x4' blocks, falling deep, never to be seen again. We all laughed until the sax player announced that was his only usable reed. Fortunately there was another woodwind player -- maybe clarinet -- that had a reed that could be trimmed to fit in the sax mouthpiece, and so the gig went on.

Life happens. Best to have an extra pick.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Lost a BC that way; waiting to enter a restaurant that had boardwalk style wooden flooring outside. After playing my mando, went to place my BC back under the strings, slipped out of my hand and made a bee-line for the approx 1/4 inch sliver between planks...didn't bat an eye to order a replacement 2 days later; oh yeah a TAD 3R 80, $50 in mizzou...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

Took a time out at a jam holding my BC safely away from germs - secured lightly in corner of mouth. One short unexpected cough later and out it flew, made a half circle around the edge of the bowl and rimmed out onto the floor. Has not been in my mouth since.

I drop picks. It's what I do.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Took a time out at a jam holding my BC safely away from germs - secured lightly in corner of mouth. One short unexpected cough later and out it flew, made a half circle around the edge of the bowl and rimmed out onto the floor. Has not been in my mouth since.
    Coulda been worse. It could have gone the other way.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

8. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

My picks have a tendency to dive between the cushions on the couch. On guitar they like to leap into the soundhole.

Skip ahead to about 2:30 for the pick incident. Or watch the entire thing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevo75 For This Useful Post:

Beautiful
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

That's never happened to me but this summer while playing an outdoor festival in front of just about 1000 people I threw my pic to a cute lady in the front that was dancing. You should have seen the horror on my face when I realized it was my blue chip. It cost me about a hundred dollar dinner to get it back��

Quote Originally Posted by John Adrihan View Post
    That's never happened to me but this summer while playing an outdoor festival in front of just about 1000 people I threw my pic to a cute lady in the front that was dancing. You should have seen the horror on my face when I realized it was my blue chip. It cost me about a hundred dollar dinner to get it back��
    LOL, I can imagine the pain of that realization. Every time I drop my BC I feel like it dives into a hiding spot, it never seems to land in plain sight.

Let's see, three new Bluechip picks or one used Bluechip pick and dinner with a cute lady......glad you have your priorities straight.

Blog Entries

Hmmm, you need to keep a pocket full of Fender Heavies for pic'ing the cute ladies like that. Then you can just eat at McDonald's.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I have had a poorly attached tuner launch off an F 5 headstock onto a wood floor and break .............
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Those V picks, without a doubt are the easiest to lose. Doesn't matter where. Well lit room with a painted concrete floor.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

That video is great!