Thread: Final Chop Rhythm

Default Final Chop Rhythm

I've notice that a lot of professional bluegrass players conclude songs with unique sounding rhythm chop patterns. Can anyone explain what exactly the pattern/rhythm is they are doing. I can't seem to find any examples on YouTube at the moment.

Default Re: Final Chop Rhythm

Is this it?
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    Is this it?
    Thanks for taking the time to record this! I'll have to try it at my next jam.

It's typically some variation of "shave-and-a-haircut...six-bits"
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    It's typically some variation of "shave-and-a-haircut...six-bits"
    I've always heard it as "shave and a haircut... two bits". It comes from Barbershop quartet music from around 1900, when two bits was quite a lot. Now days it would be "shave and a haircut... ten bucks".

What I think happens is a player fingers the final chord of the song and then, one long strum and then, very quickly, strokes two strokes down , one stroke up and one final stroke down. Took forever to get this right but it will come; work on it.

Bill Monroe frequently ended his songs in this way...maybe check out the Monroe Videos thread?
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

The banjo will play a version of shave and a haircut, but the mandolin is usually what I demonstrated in my video. Listen to Ricky Skaggs' version of "Bluegrass special". It's what I did. Bill played the final phrase three times on that tune.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Thank you for the input everyone - it's very much appreciated. I'm going to work on this!