Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: finger board extention usefull or worthless.

Default Re: finger board extention usefull or worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Perhaps many pre-F5 instruments were classical by nature, yet the didn't have those extended Florida frets, which are nearly impractical to play for the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowNSlow View Post
    This is not entirely accurate. There are pre-Loar mandolins with a Florida fret extension, such as the 1908 F2 owned by Loar himself.
    It's about the repertoire you are playing.

A large amount (if not the majority) of classical music can be played on a mandolin with standard fretting. It's when you are playing certain literature that those frets are required.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Someone keeps saying "there is no money above the fifth fret". Who is that person anyway.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Someone keeps saying "there is no money above the fifth fret". Who is that person anyway.
    I don't know, but I guarrentee it wasn't Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, or Eddie Van Halen...

5. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Blog Entries

No, but I don't think whoever said it was hurting for money or success either.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Wow, finding the originator of that adage is way more of a difficult puzzle than finding a 34 fret guitar.

But of relevance to this discussion, here's a quote from Tony Williamson (emphasis mine)

After his fame was secured, Apollon always had new Gibsons F-5s on hand beginning with a 1924 Loar and continuing well into the 1960s. Many of these mandolins are accounted for today. He never seemed to hang onto to any one for very long, always playing the shiny new ones. There was one killer late 20s fern that is associated with a lot of his work in the early 30s and I do not know where that one wound up. There was also the 1934 block inlay fern that must have also been a favorite and looks so great in the photos! He also had a whole nest of Lyon and Healys As and I have owned several that had the Apollon fingerboards. But I didn't get too excited, there were several great players in the 20s and 30s (especially in NYC) that demanded facility in the fingerboard extension. I guess that hadn't yet heard the sage words of Stringbean, "there's no money past the 5th fret!"

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

That's awesome,,,,it was Stringbean!..

10. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Thile has the scooped extension so he's not playing up there. If he doesn't need it, I certainly don't.

I have seen videos where Dave Apollon played up on the extension (and yes, removed a fret to make that possible), and other videos where classical mandolinists play up there, but in everything I have seen it was just to hit one high note. It's not like they were playing scales up there, just the one note.

12. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Blog Entries

Whatever it lacks in functionality, I love the way it looks! It is a great aesthetic feature of the prettiest instrument in the world!

14. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Well thanks much for the thoughts....I can see the tradgrass crowd cringing when they read this thread...you know who you are.
    something about bluegrass that just barely tolerates a mandolin that isn't a gibson or a guitar that isn't a martin...not sure why
    but tradition seems deeply steeped in this genre. That being said here is a clip of that little girl...oh whats her name??
    Playing a loar...listen for the pick click..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqCTEbA6QbI

She is so much better than me ...yet that would annoy me to no end..granted they are not gonna saw anything off that mandolin.

here is thile...hard to hear any clicks...he is a master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h_CdTa-2-U

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    It is a great aesthetic feature of the prettiest instrument in the world!
    You know, I'm willing to discount an awful lot of "homer's pride" by musicians of one sort or another, but in the case of the florentine mandolin, I have to admit you have a point. It really is an excessively beautiful instrument.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
    That being said here is a clip of that little girl...oh whats her name??
    Playing a loar...listen for the pick click..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqCTEbA6QbI

She is so much better than me ...yet that would annoy me to no end..granted they are not gonna saw anything off that mandolin.
    To be fair, Sierra's regular mandolin, her Gibson Harvey signed F5 Master Model which I've played btw, is scooped; so she's not in the habit of adjusting her picking style to accommodate for the Florida...and she's arguably the best non-classical mandolinist this side of Thile...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    To be fair, Sierra's regular mandolin, her Gibson Harvey signed F5 Master Model which I've played btw, is scooped; so she's not in the habit of adjusting her picking style to accommodate for the Florida...and she's arguably the best non-classical mandolinist this side of Thile...YMMV
    I agree not taking away from her...just that even someone of her caliber has an issue with it. I am not sure i want one on my new to me mandolin..

I agree not taking away from her...just that even someone of her caliber has an issue with it. I am not sure i want one on my new to me mandolin..
    Yup, you do have to adjust your technique...

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

20. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Having both read & contributed to this thread yesterday,while i was having a practice yesterday afternoon i did stray above the 12th fret as far as the top 'A',but much above that,although you do get a 'note',they're hardly worth playing, & i can't think that they would add very much to even a 'classical' mandolin piece. They're not so much of a note as a 'plink with tone' - gone almost before you hear it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Am I the only one who likes the pick click? Crazy I know. But I actually feel like the extension helps me hit the strings more reliably/accurately. May just be a beginner's crutch, though.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

The click is akin to the string squeek you hear alot in 70's acoustic guitar albums. It adds a certain amount of human authenticity to the music.

I ascribe to an old horseman's theory: It's safer to have spurs on and not need them than to need them and not have them on. Twenty-four frets on a mandolin gives you three complete octaves to work with in the E scale with a fourth E note at the top. That requires some kind of extension over the body. Twenty-seven frets gives you four full octaves in the G scale, which in a sense makes the mandolin complete from lowest to highest note. Most of us will never play in those upper octaves, and those frets are in the way of our pick. It's far easier to pull off frets and scoop the extension if you don't need those notes than it is to find a lumber stretcher and add those notes on the occasion that you do need them. If you play in an orchestra, that occasion is likely to arrive.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by s1m0n View Post
    You know, I'm willing to discount an awful lot of "homer's pride" by musicians of one sort or another, but in the case of the florentine mandolin, I have to admit you have a point. It really is an excessively beautiful instrument.
    The F mandolin has actually 2 points...

Well thanks much for the thoughts....I can see the tradgrass crowd cringing when they read this thread...you know who you are.
    something about bluegrass that just barely tolerates a mandolin that isn't a gibson
    Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Having both read & contributed to this thread yesterday,while i was having a practice yesterday afternoon i did stray above the 12th fret as far as the top 'A',but much above that,although you do get a 'note',they're hardly worth playing, & i can't think that they would add very much to even a 'classical' mandolin piece. They're not so much of a note as a 'plink with tone' - gone almost before you hear it,
    Ivan
    Well that's your opinion, but I like the sound of a nice really high plink on those very high pitches. Add a tremolo and it's really a cool sound.

You mustn't like the sound of a Greek baglama then either - it's all "plink".

Quote Originally Posted by Tommando View Post
    I ascribe to an old horseman's theory: It's safer to have spurs on and not need them than to need them and not have them on. Twenty-four frets on a mandolin gives you three complete octaves to work with in the E scale with a fourth E note at the top. That requires some kind of extension over the body. Twenty-seven frets gives you four full octaves in the G scale, which in a sense makes the mandolin complete from lowest to highest note..
    This is logical and one of the reasons for the long fingerboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    ...... so she's (Sierra is) not in the habit of adjusting her picking style to accommodate for the Florida...
    I wish I could say the same about myself but I tend to reposition my hand to avoid the click noise. So I've been considering having my fretboard scooped or just cut back. Mine isn't a Florida or an abbreviated Fla. It has 24 full frets for all strings. I like the tone and hand position when I am picking somewhere above the 22nd-23rd frets but the click distracts me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Thile has the scooped extension so he's not playing up there. If he doesn't need it, I certainly don't.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    something about bluegrass that just barely tolerates a mandolin that isn't a gibson
    Amen to that

Who are you guys hanging around?

In 6 years of being in the bluegrass scene and 5 years of playing mando I've never heard that sentiment at either festivals, club events, or mando tastings.

In fact, of the 15 professional bluegrass bands in San Diego, and the 4 or 5 in LA, to my knowledge I'm the only guy that plays a Gibson as his primary instrument.

Now if you're talking about the F5 style versus an A model, yes that's true, but the brand Gibson as far as any snobbery from other grassers if you play something different? I've never seen it. Where do you guys get this stuff?

It makes for snarky comic relief, but from my perspective it's pure fiction!

Carry On back to the thread...

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

In the example of the guitar -- sure looks cool -- also seems to be in the way of the right hand -- I guess those are technically "notes" up there, but really seem to be used only for special effect, IMHO. (that is, not playing a flowing melody line within a song) Great, if you need it. Most don't. Same with mandolin, I don't need it, but I think it looks cool, so I've got one, Florida, that is.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Sep-21-2016 at 3:25pm.

Back when I worked for a shop doing fretted instrument work we did a fair amount of 'scooping' of the extension, it was kind of fun to do to be honest. As a player I would never own a mandolin that had the extension, it just gets in the way. Even Gibson makes great sounding mandolins without them.

Buy what makes you happy.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

33. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

During my first 25 years of playing I never thought of the florida being a problem. For the last 15 years, while it became fashionable to get rid of that extension, I kept wondering why I have never had any problems with it; here's what I found: I've always kept my action fairly high at about 2 mms (clear above the 12th fret, all strings). Secondly I play with a teardrop shaped pick (BC 45) using a round "corner", much like AFAIK Doyle Lawson and Frank Wakefield. At one point I tried a big triangular - all of a sudden annoying pick noise.

Also, to me the extension looks good.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post: