Thread: Sierra Hull's Weighted Mind

Default Sierra Hull's Weighted Mind

Yes, it's a departure from what she was known for. However, I think this album is brilliant. Pairing her with Bela Fleck as producer was brilliant. The combination makes me love both of them even more.

Anybody else digging it?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Sierra Hull's Weighted Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    ... Anybody else digging it?
    Pretty music. The lyrics aren't what I'm into nowadays, but when I was her age (a billion years ago) I probably would have been a big fan.

For convenience, for those who don't know (such as me until I looked it up today), here's the Amazon page with 30-second audio samples of each of the 12 songs, scroll down that page a ways to get to the audio samples.
    (Of course the usual NFI, YMMV, FWIW, etc)

Even though I'm not in the market to buy any of those songs, I think it's great that they're available as single purchase items for a little over a buck per song. I like that business model (for albums in general, regardless of the artists) as I'm much more willing to actually *buy* some tunes/songs (instead of only listening to free parking-lot jams on Youtube eh) when I can pick-and-choose *which* song to buy instead of being stuck with a whole album when I only wanted one song (seems like that's usually the case with lots of albums).

Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up. She is a joy to listen whether on mandolin, guitar or vocals. What a gifted individual!

I saw her last spring at the start of her tour and got the cd. The venue was about an hour and a half away. I was impressed enough that when she returned a month or so ago to a closer venue I went to see her again. She and Ethan the bassist and Justin Moses who plays everything are all great musicians and play together beautifully.

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

It's become my current favorite album. Sounds like nobody else. Wonderfully demonstrates that you don't need a guitar to accompany singing.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Robins View Post
    Sounds like nobody else.
    Alison Krauss comes to mind.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

7. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I'm definitely digging it also. Its not so much the songs but I'm finding her playing phenomenal.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IMO it's the best she's done, and getting close to Thile's mastery of the mandolin. Her fingers can follow wherever her mind wants to go.

I've seen her multiple times in different situations and she is thrilling to see now, and the record is brilliant.

Here's a few pics from the Podunk Bluegrass festival. Sierra was kind enough to chat and sign a vinyl record for me, and I had the very cool artwork framed afterwards for my music room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sierra - 1 (1).jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	570.1 KB 
ID:	149757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sierra - 2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	342.7 KB 
ID:	149758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sierra - 3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	299.2 KB 
ID:	149759

Larry

Larry, you fanboy, you!

Love the album, still haven't managed to catch her in concert.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Does anybody by chance have tabs to this song?
    I second the above comments, she's a master...and will probably be where Thile is when she is as old as he.
    Andy McAllister

'08 Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante'
    '09 Epiphone EJ 200-CE

Love the album as well! Given my fandom of Nickel Creek and CT's projects in general, and as I have 19 and 16 year olds, I can identify with the angst/self exploration/growth themes. That said, that phase of my life left me behind many years ago as well

Sarah Jarosz is in a similar phase of life at the moment. It will be fun to watch these young ladies and their music mature, given their already prodigious talent!
    Chuck