Thread: Paul Glasse

Thumbs up

Urged by Don Stiernberg, i just bought Paul Glasse's One More Night (which is a compilation of his earlier 2 albums (Paul Glasse and The Road To Home).

WOW!

This dude really can play acoustic mandolin, mandola and 5-string electric. The band is first rate (especially Howard Levy on harmonica and Jew's harp, and Jerry Douglas on dobro). It's even more amazing when you realize that he also wrote most of the material. Sonofagun! Highly recommended.

Note: i didn't realize until later that Paul was the one who got involved in that terrible accident. I hope his recovery is going OK and that he will be able to continue playing.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scott T and I enjoy friendly banter on what is the "all time best jazz mandolin recording." His fave is recent the re-issue Jethro Burns/Tiny Moore "Back to Back" recording, because of its ground breaking innovation in the use of mandolins in a traditional jazz ensemble environment. (Let alone, some terrific playing!)

Mine is the aforementioned Paul Glasse compilation, much for the same reasons. (Hands down, BEST ever jazz mandolin recording!) Paul can not only play, he can compose. He takes the best out of the best in studio musicians, and has created incredibly tasteful music. His material, though all original, is delivered convincingly like a traditional jazz standard, and the novice would never know the difference.

I hope to have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Glasse (and hearing him play!) in person someday. Needless to say, I will be extremely verklempt when that happens... He's as much a legend to me as any great mandolinist.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I am currently playing "The Road To Home"...I can not get it out of my computer...so inspiring...and it was funny when that dobro made it's entrance I was thinking to myself "that sounds like Jerry Douglas." Only to find out that my ears were indeed correct.
    I love the way he incorporates many genres into the recording...absolutely recommended. Two thumbs up from the bald guy!!!
    PeacE
    Brian

Paul is indeed one of the greatest. I really enjoy his solo recordings and also his work with Tom Morrell's Time Warp Tophands, one of the best Western Swing bands ever!

I heard from Paul last week, and he is slowly recovering from his ordeal. I hope to be able to host him, as well as Don Steirnberg, up here in Boston sometime, in conjunction with the Berklee string department's visitng artist series...and also a chance for me to jam with two all-time greats!

John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

My brother-in-law went to college in Austin and he and Paul dated the same girl. At that time, he told me "yeah, this guy also plays the mandolin, maybe you know him." I most certainly did, through his music only, but was nonetheless impressed.

Hope Paul recoops quickly and fully.

I heard the Paul Glasse Trio last month at the Austin Festival of Mandolins. Knocked my socks off! Great music!
    Hondo

Everyone with an interest in mando jazz go buy Pauls CD. He is ther best bebop player I've heard.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I would have to echo everyone else's sentiments here...Paul Glasse is just an amazing musician and composer. His two solo recordings are absolute favorites of mine.

I have never listened to Tom Morrell's Time Warp Tophands, but am certainly going to seek some of their music out.

Are there any other recordings out there that Paul can be heard on? My only complaint about his solo recordings is that there are only two of them! (that I'm aware of, anyway)

-Chris Rorrer

Greetings folks,

Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

My family and I are doing much better (re: the car wreck) than we were even a few months ago. I will say that is has been incredibly meaningful to us to have the support of the mandolin/music community through all of this. Music brings some pretty amazing opportunities to those of us who pick.

Thank you again for your very generous words about my music.

All the best,

Paul Glasse
    Paul Glasse
    Driftwood, Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

After reading this thread I ordered the Road to Home. I knew it wouldn't be my typical style, but I'm very pleased. Stevey likey. A very nice change of pace from the bluegrass speed demons I'm used to listening to--some very cool songs. It's definitely a CD I'll be spending some time with.