Thread: Shetland fiddle tune books

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Default Shetland fiddle tune books

Having just seen the thread with the Shetland fiddle tunes, I was reminded that I've never seen a dedicated Shetland fiddle tune book. It's not hard to find Scottish books that will have Shetland tunes in them, but does anyone know of any (in print) books dedicated to Shetland fiddle tunes?

Default Re: Shetland fiddle tune books

I just googled "Shetland Fiddle tune book" and lots of leads came up. You can have a look yourself

Search Results
    Music - The Shetland Times Bookshop
    www.shetlandtimes.co.uk › The Shetland Times Bookshop › Books
    A collection of 24 fiddle tunes complete with demonstration CD featuring all of the ... The Gideon Stove Tune Book will be for many readers, like echoes from the ...

Orkney & Shetland Fiddle - Music Scotland
    http://www.musicscotland.com/cd/Orkn...nd-fiddle.html
    Live In Shetland is a collection of traditional and contemporary tunes showcasing ... Two volumes of self-penned tunes from the Shetland fiddler, mainly created as .... World, Folk and Celtic music CDs, DVDs, instruments, jewellery, books and ...

Free Sheet Music for Fiddlers - The Scottish Fiddle Orchestra
    sfo.org.uk/free-sheet-music-for-fiddlers/
    3 Jan 2015 - This is a lovely book, which starts with tunes at beginner level (fingerings marked) and has text in Shetland dialect. It contains a significant ...

Fiddle - scotlandsmusic.com
    https://www.scotlandsmusic.com/Explo...ions/TheFiddle
    We produce fiddle music books and fiddle CDs that represent many of the composers ... The strongest influence on Shetland style fiddle music was probably the ...

Above are the first three from that search!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

3. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Thanks John. I suppose I should have been more specific and asked if there were any books readily available in the U.S.?

nigelgatherer

Among others, one of John's links was for Tom Anderson's book Haand Me Doon da Fiddle which is an excellent book for Shetland tunes.

Get it here.

If I had to recommend just one book it would probably be Ho-ro-gheallaidh Vol 1. by Ann Hughes and Christine Martin

You can order hard copy online or buy download from the above website.

It's general Scottish, not specifically Shetland, but many of the best-known Shetland tunes are included.

There are also Vols 2&3 I think , (a Vol 4 now too, I see) and a companion volume , "Cruinn Comhla".

These are beautifully done , logically arranged and clearly-presented books and the versions you'll find in the notation are pretty much how you'll hear people playing them most often. if you had all of them you'd find within enough Shetland tunes to keep you going for years, as well as many Scottish and Irish (and further afield) session tunes.

Shetland fiddlers are very eclectic, making it difficult at times to say what is a Shetland tune, and it's all very mandolin-friendly.
    Bren

7. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Yes, I concur with the above.

There are many books featuring quite a few Shetland Fiddlers e.g. Chris Stout, Jenna Reid, Tom Anderson(as stated already), Willie Hunter, Gideon Stove, even Aly Bain himself to name but a few....

I also purchased some books from the Fiddle Frenzy Collection which contain most of teh well known session tunes plus more

See www.shetlandfiddlefrenzy.com

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Gatherer View Post
    Among others, one of John's links was for Tom Anderson's book Haand Me Doon da Fiddle which is an excellent book for Shetland tunes.

Get it here.
    There's also Tom Anderson's 100 page Ringing Strings collection. Credit cards eliminate the hassles of international money orders etc.

10. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

I'll second Ringing Strings. A nice mix of traditional tunes and Tom Anderson's own compositions. He also provides interesting stories and information about the tunes. Beware of a couple of tunes in AEAE tuning, which are notated according to finger/bow/pick placement rather than actual notes.

A must-have for superb Shetland tunes

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/shop/index...roller=product

...comment cancelled

I second Kevin's recommendation of the Ronnie Cooper volume. I got it a while back and it is a great book.

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/shop/index...roller=product
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores