Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Default Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

Is it for US addresses only?

Edit: Based on replies above I understand it is for US residents only at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I signed up. I currently use EXP 74s on my Collings, FW 74s on my National and Elixir lights on my Mid Missouri (I looked for D'a light gauge but could not find any). Please let me know if D'Addario has light guard coated strings...
    WE do indeed - they're called EXP16 for Phosphor Bronze or EXP11 for 80/20. Thanks for asking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mobi View Post
    Is it for US addresses only?

Edit: Based on replies above I understand it is for US residents only at this moment.
    Yessir, that is correct. We hope to have some extra sets and at that point, we'll explore the opportunity on expanding the players. We're not sure where - the UK and Canada would be our first possibility as we have offices there.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    I signed up as well.

And I was just about to try out the DR Rare, medium gauge I just got!

I wonder how long before this test begins?

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Shouldn't be more than a few weeks - we hope to have the set in players hands by Mid-Sept at the latest

I received a medium nickel bronze set from the D'Addario rep at the Cafe gathering at Grey Fox in July (Thanks D'Addario!) and have had them on my F5 for a month now--they sound great. I am one of those looking for a replacement for the monels that don't seem to be available any more and the nickel bronze strings seem to my ears to be very comparable--they have that old school sound, emphasizing more fundamental with less ringing on than the phosphor bronze strings. Coincidentally, I just now put a set of the nickel bronze reso strings on my resonator guitar, and I am looking forward to trying them at a show tomorrow.

I've restrung at least 6 of my guitars, including a baritone with the new Nickel Bronze guitar strings. Gave away a few sets too to friends so they could try them. Looking forward to trying the mandolin strings.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson2010 View Post
    Rob - we hope to have extra sets to send to our UK office and have a Beta version, once we complete entries for the US. So, technically, yes, this is a US-only Beta test.
    [Ron awaits word that the Thailand office has been included in an upcoming round of tests; no holding of breath just yet ]

why all the hubub bubs? just start using the exp74s and say goodbye to everything else. for my mandolin (Kimble 2 point) these are the best (in every way) i've ever used. a GREAT product... DA rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    why all the hubub bubs? just start using the exp74s and say goodbye to everything else. for my mandolin (Kimble 2 point) these are the best (in every way) i've ever used. a GREAT product... DA rules!
    I'm hoping these can "replace" the now defunct Sam Bush strings.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Only you don't really know if the 74s are the best for your mandolin if you've never tried the NBs. That would be impossible.

And yes, DA rules.

My D-18 loves the NBs - best new string idea to come along in quite a while.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

It's a shame that this is a 'US only' situation,although it does make sense. I'd have liked to have tried a set on my ''larger than standard'' Lebeda F5. Currently,it takes DR MD11's to drive it to it's full extent, EJ74's don't quite get there,although they work wonderfully well on my Weber,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks, D'Addario-Don. A capital idea - beta test mandolin strings via the Mandolin Cafe! EXP-74 until now.
    Looking forward to exploring new tonal possibilities..

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Just signed up!... Any indication of how the new strings differ from the old standard EJ74's?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Any possibility of a set for Octave Mandolin?
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Me too! I keep strings on forever (benign finger chemistry, I guess), so it's a fine excuse to experiment. Thanks!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

At our annual mando gathering at Grey Fox, Steve from D'Addrio stops by and gives us some goodies.
    This year it was the first run prototypes of these. I like them a lot. I've always used J-74s so I can not compare against Sam Bush or others.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strings.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	149108

16. The following members say thank you to Tom C for this post:

I liked the Sam Bush monel strings (with the exception of the thin 'A' strings). I look forward to finding out how these Nickel/Bronze compare to the monels sound-wise. They really can't be fairly compared to the Bush sets though, as the Gibson S.B strings were 11-41.

I do hope (if I"m part of it) that the survey questions are less rigid than the questions on the application. Questions like...

Where do you buy your mandolin strings?
    Chain Music Store
    Independent Music Store

...without any other optional responses, leave me feeling frustrated and misunderstood!
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Aug-22-2016 at 9:27am.

Blog Entries

I am concerned about the two weeks to respond. Not that I would not be able to respond in two weeks, or get a lot of playing time in prior.

My concern is that experience of the sound, playability, and durability of the strings after only two weeks of use may not be (likely is not) the whole picture.

I know my experience with J74s is that the first week and a half / two weeks after putting them on they are a bit brassy and harsh to my ear. Somewhere at about two weeks, maybe due to the strings, maybe due to the beginnings of all the gunk and wear that they experience, but at about two weeks they sound great, warm, awesome, bright but not tinny, deep but not thunky, lovely. And they remain lovely for me four something like 12 weeks or more.

I am not talking about "opening up" or "waking up" or any of those other controversial phenomena. This is just plain experience, that the warn in sound of J74s is why I buy them.

But were I to report in two weeks what my experience was I would not capture the time period where their performance makes them my preference.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I am concerned about the two weeks to respond. Not that I would not be able to respond in two weeks, or get a lot of playing time in prior.

My concern is that experience of the sound, playability, and durability of the strings after only two weeks of use may not be (likely is not) the whole picture.

I know my experience with J74s is that the first week and a half / two weeks after putting them on they are a bit brassy and harsh to my ear. Somewhere at about two weeks, maybe due to the strings, maybe due to the beginnings of all the gunk and wear that they experience, but at about two weeks they sound great, warm, awesome, bright but not tinny, deep but not thunky, lovely. And they remain lovely for me four something like 12 weeks or more.

I am not talking about "opening up" or "waking up" or any of those other controversial phenomena. This is just plain experience, that the warn in sound of J74s is why I buy them.

But were I to report in two weeks what my experience was I would not capture the time period where their performance makes them my preference.
    I think for D'Addario to get the most relevant feedback they should ask for it at 2 weeks and then again either at something like 6 weeks, or you report when you decided to change them. It would be interesting to hear the differences in opinion. As you mention, on the regular 74s it would vary greatly.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Excellent! I have been using Gibson Sam Bush strings and now that they have been discontinued was looking for a substitute. Your NB strings sound like they would be a very good possibility. I have been switching all my mandolins (and guitars) over to nickel alloy and prefer the tonal qualities over PB so am looking fwd to seeing how these sound.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I agree. With just a 2 week trial period, I can save you a lot of money and tell you the results right now........
    55% Negative due to the people who put the new strings on, strum for 45 seconds and say "I dont like em "
    25% Positve due to the people who put the new strings on, strum for 45 seconds and say "I like em "
    20% Undecided due to not enough time to truly test strings limits.

23. The following members say thank you to Marvino for this post:

This offer isn't available to Canadians? I couldn't choose a province in the registration form.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sawatzky View Post
    This offer isn't available to Canadians? I couldn't choose a province in the registration form.
    From (post #5) Don at D'Addario:

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson2010 View Post
    ...technically, yes, this is a US-only Beta test.

Blog Entries

This beginner player signed up!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Greeting from the other side of the pond ... looking forward to the beta making its way to at least the UK!!

Signed up. Thanks Don!