Thread: Uh, OK, if you say so . . .

"The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Default Re: Uh, OK, if you say so . . .

That's what that model was called. They were sold door to door by the Oscar Schmidt Company of Jersey City, NJ. They are on eBay regularly. Many years ago a pallet of one of these oddities was found brand new in an old warehouse in NJ or so I have been told. Related to the mandolin Harp, the Ukelin and the Autoharp it's a fretless zither. There are a few more here mixed in with images of guitars, mandolins, and harps.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-19-2016 at 5:52am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Believe it or not, that is what they were called in those early days of novelty zithers. There used to be some very detailed site for people that collected these things but you can get some info on this web site. This is another site that has lots of info on fretless zithers.

And here is another one that sold in auction.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I had one of those once. It was a Panama Canal commemorative issue. When was that? 1915 or something? Anyway,never figured out what to do with the thing and eventually it I guess I got rid of it 'cause I don't have it now. Interestingly my then 3, (he'll be 5 soon) Grandson showed up with a similar thing, brand new, made in Russia that I think came out of someplace like The Nature Company.

The names of these and similar instruments never fail to entertain. I have a "Pianoette", which has as much to do with a piano as this does to a mandolin.

I had a "Hawaiian Tremoloa" once upon a time, it was from one of those old door to door companies. Name escapes me but, you all know who I'm talking about. The ukelin and so on were made by them too, I will slap my head when you refresh the grey cells!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I had a "Hawaiian Tremoloa" once upon a time, it was from one of those old door to door companies. Name escapes me but, you all know who I'm talking about. The ukelin and so on were made by them too, I will slap my head when you refresh the grey cells!
    Read Post #2 of this thread and see if it comes back to you.

You can read about and see a Tremola here!
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

For anyone looking to learn more about these abominations here is a great site. I just found out that the Harmony company actually jumped into the weird instrument market in the 30's for a short time. I never knew that. Oscar Schmidt under their various company names owned the door to door market for these fretless zithers.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-23-2016 at 2:55pm.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice link, Mike. The listing for Friedrich Menzenhauer (and his abominations) adds some historical detail to the Jersey City locations of the Oscar Schmidt facilities. I remember a conversation here a few years back zooming into those blocks on Ferry Street where the Schmidt buildings were.

Menzenhauer also partnered with Schmidt on mandolins for a while. The iconic O/S initials in the scratchplate started out as M/S.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menzenhauer-Schmidt 12 String.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	149135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menzenhauer-Schmidt Monogram Pickguard.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	149136  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Great history, but you know what they say...........that and a nickel will get ya a cup of coffee! (at least in 1930's coffee....)

I had several of the Ukelin (sp?) style autoharp/zither/bowed psaltery type of instruments. They are actually fun to play and sound nice. You'll find several videos on youtube of people making nice music with them. One I had was like new, pretty much unplayed with the original box, bow, instructions, etc. I actually got $250 for it on eBay, but I know that was just silly luck. I'd say $35 would be more in the ball park.

A while back there was a junque store around here that had an old Marxophone for sale. It was not in good shape. Someone (on the Cafe?) warned me about possibly dangerous lead dust being a problem. Anyway it was cool to learn that Ray Manzarek played one on Alabama Song.

Katherine Rhoda of Maine owns dozens of zither-family oddities, and gives workshops demonstrating them. I've attended her workshops at New England Folk Festival (NEFFA) the last two years -- both times I was scheduled to give a workshop the following hour in the same room -- and found them fascinating.

You can look her up on YouTube for quite a few vids of her playing different instruments. Here's a Marxophone example:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

That Marxophone seems to have been the origin of a whole class of instruments:

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

There was a thread some time ago about these instruments and at time I stated that the Marxophones were made by the same company that made Marx toys. This new thread gives me an opportunity to correct that. I was wrong and I hate it when I pass on information that turns out to be incorrect. Those instruments were made by a manufacturing collective that made only instruments I apologize for the earlier error.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

That Marxophone was interesting for its tremolo-style sustain.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks Mike but, it's the "Marxochime" company. They had a "community" where the members made the things. You're right Don, the toy company was another "Marx", the instruments were just different toys in a way.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

saw a "Hawaiian Tremola" in an antique store in Paxico Ks, last weekend. weird looking thing, it was missing a couple of critical pieces or I might have brought it home.