Thread: Great mando for the $ ($437)

Default Great mando for the $ ($437)

I have no affiliation with this post on any level, simply passing it along.

I own one of these Gretsch oval hole mandos and I'm totally happy with it, I think that you can't beat this deal...I'd be interested if I didn't already have one. $437 for this seems like a no brainer. also, fwiw it's the single best guitar shop I've ever been in.

link http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/...-sunburst-used
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

2. The following members say thank you to jetsedgwick for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Great mando for the $ ($437)

+1 for the CME

Same mando for $420 here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRETSCH-G935...-/371574920874
    Can't say if it is a good deal or not, never played one.

why these are so cheap baffles me, NO WAY this Gretsch is 1/10th the mando of my Weber. Not to hate on my own purchase but this mando is a way better value.
    Weber Black Ice F

Jetsedgwick, you comments puzzle me greatly.

Your Gretsch may be 1/10 the price of your Weber, but how do you measure percentages of mandolins? What exactly makes a mandolin 1/10, 1/2, 3/4 of another mandolin? How do you measure it? How do you quantify it?

The Park Avenue may be a nice mandolin, don't know, never played one. But I am pretty confident that, even if it is good and a bargain, a mass produced instrument made from flat, steamed, and pressed wood cannot compare to an instrument made from skillfully hand carved, hand graduated wood. Your Weber, like mine, has a lot of very skilled hand work in it. I look at mine like it is a piece of art you can also play. I think the Black Ice is even higher art. You pay for art, and art is not quantifiable.

It's really no mystery why these are so inexpensive. Mass produced, Chinese labor rates, steamed pressed wood construction. As I say, I never played one. But it does have at least the appearance of an F4 type instrument, and it us the only F style oval hole out there priced under 1000, and substantially less than that to boot. I would be interested to play one, but it would surprise me if it sounded much different from any other oval hole flat top.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

7. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I own one , i like it alot mine sounds good and is actually pretty loud. I haven't compared it to any Gibson oval holes yet but i would like to. I bought mine used for a really good price so i couldn't resist
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

9. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Since I bought 2 Webers I clearly agree with the "art" part of your argument. But if you close your eyes and listen to both of my mandos they're not that different sounding, or playing, so I think my Weber is MUCH better looking that my Gretsch I just don't think they are that different sounding.
    Weber Black Ice F

$400+ for a heat-pressed top, even if solid wood, doesn't strike me as a huge bargain; you can buy a solid-wood carved-top Rover RM-75 for less, though without the pickup and the snowflake fingerboard inlays.

Still, nice-looking instrument, and there aren't too many oval-hole F-models currently being made.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by jetsedgwick View Post
    Since I bought 2 Webers I clearly agree with the "art" part of your argument. But if you close your eyes and listen to both of my mandos they're not that different sounding, or playing, so I think my Weber is MUCH better looking that my Gretsch I just don't think they are that different sounding.
    Post a recording of each for comparison then. As a former Weber owner (and only "former" because dire financial straits forced me to sell) I'm curious to hear the difference. For the recording to be on as level a playing field as possible both mandolins would need the same type of strings on them, played with the same pick, playing the same tune. Enquiring minds want to know!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

fine idea...I think I just might.
    Weber Black Ice F

I owned a G9300 A model for a while, bought it to learn on. It was tinny sounding, hard to play, and generally felt like a cheap product. Luckily my local store accepted it back for full value on the purchase of a Collings MT 30 days later. Add on an F scroll and points, and all you are paying for is more wood, not a better instrument. I am sure that there are variations in any such product, including a solid top Rogue, as well as more expensive Webers and Collings.

If you play it, like it, and can live with it, buy it!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    ... I am pretty confident that, even if it is good and a bargain, a mass produced instrument made from flat, steamed, and pressed wood cannot compare to an instrument made from skillfully hand carved, hand graduated wood.
    This is my first thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsedgwick View Post
    I just don't think they are that different sounding.
    This really surprises me. I am not saying you are wrong, its just a surprise. I have not played that instrument so I have no experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    For the recording to be on as level a playing field as possible both mandolins would need the same type of strings on them, played with the same pick, playing the same tune. Enquiring minds want to know!
    While I 100% agree, that is the way it should be done, I would hate to think the difference in sound is merely a matter of the choice of strings and pick. That would be a game changer.

I'm curious to hear the difference.
    Absolutely. Me too. It would be real good to an A/B comparison out there so we can get other ears in on the conclusion.

Besides. This is fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I'll restring the Weber and record them both for the Cafe. What is the best way to share and audio file here?
    Weber Black Ice F

Are you comparing tones of an F-hole and an oval hole? If not which Weber?
    I notice the Gretsch has 15 frets to cross piece (Wish it was 12) what about the Weber?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Are you comparing tones of an F-hole and an oval hole? If not which Weber?
    I notice the Gretsch has 15 frets to cross piece (Wish it was 12) what about the Weber?
    Ah good catch Tom! I was thinking that the OP was comparing a Weber oval to his Gretsch oval, but notice now that nothing in his signature mentions the Weber being an oval hole instrument. In the event it has f-holes then perhaps this is more an issue of the OP preferring the sound of an oval hole mandolin in general rather than it being the Gretsch being tonally superior to the Weber. How we perceive something is individual to each of us as well, so even if it was a shoot out between an oval hole Weber and an oval hole Gretsch no two listeners will hear it the same way.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Weber is F hole, F style....Gretsch is oval hole, F style. not apple to apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Ah good catch Tom! I was thinking that the OP was comparing a Weber oval to his Gretsch oval, but notice now that nothing in his signature mentions the Weber being an oval hole instrument. In the event it has f-holes then perhaps this is more an issue of the OP preferring the sound of an oval hole mandolin in general rather than it being the Gretsch being tonally superior to the Weber. How we perceive something is individual to each of us as well, so even if it was a shoot out between an oval hole Weber and an oval hole Gretsch no two listeners will hear it the same way.
    Weber Black Ice F

Blog Entries

Jet-- That is a pretty one! I love the snowflake and the way the extension is bound. Quite an unusually attractive instrument for that price and as someone said above, an oval F style is a find in that price range. And from what you have said, it plays nicely, too. What matters is that you enjoy it and are glad you made the purchase. Congrats!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"