Thread: End peg comes off

Default End peg comes off

Hello all.

The wooden end peg for the sling occasionally pops out of base of my Eastman MD 505. Are there are alternatives to simply pushing/gluing it back on (such as upgrading the endcap with an integrated metal peg)? As a beginner, I don't know if this is a normal thing or not.

Default Re: End peg comes off

Hi Dave,

This is common with tapered endpins. The best fix is to put a thin layer of glue on the peg and then let it dry. That will increase the diameter enough to give it a tight fit.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Hi Dave,

This is common with tapered endpins. The best fix is to put a thin layer of glue on the peg and then let it dry. That will increase the diameter enough to give it a tight fit.
    And yeah, let the glue dry BEFORE you put it back in. The idea is not to make the endpin a permanent fixture. It should be removable with a gentle tug down the road.

In addition to Robert's spot on comments, I'd say to make sure your humidity is reasonable in theninstrument's environment. This happened with my Silverangel the first winter I had it. Shortly thereafter I had humidifiers installed, and it hasn't happened since, without glue...
    Chuck

I used a very small piece of masking tape that doesn't even wrap the whole way around the peg. Has held for 20+ years, and I can pull it out when needed.

Also it will help if when you push the endpin in give it s bit of a twist. That will help seat it.

Thanks very much everyone. It's good to know this is not uncommon. I like the masking tape idea. Humidity has been pretty high here in upstate NY, so I wasn't sure if this happened because of or in spite of it.

Pops out on me every once in a while, I just twist it back in..(I also carry a spare in my case)..

T.D.--Where can I obtain a spare?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

End pins can be purchased from Stewart Mac Donald, Stu-Mac among many other sources, materials include plastic , bone, ebony and rosewood. Ivory is still available but I wouldn't bother with it because it is pricey and won't add anything tonally to your instrument. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

AlpineDave,,,yeah,,you can order them from various places,,I would stick to wood ones,, as they are easier to sand if you need to fit it a little better..

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineDave View Post
    Hello all.

The wooden end peg for the sling occasionally pops out of base of my Eastman MD 505. Are there are alternatives to simply pushing/gluing it back on (such as upgrading the endcap with an integrated metal peg)? As a beginner, I don't know if this is a normal thing or not.
    you can also put some violin rosin on it and that will help it stick and will be less permanent
    Jacob Hagerty, Hagerty Mandolins

James Moodie #8
    Michael Fraser #5
    Jacob Hagerty #1,#2,#3
    1918 Gibson A1
    https://www.facebook.com/hagertymandolins/
    http://foggymemory.com
    http://www.youtube.com/j87571

Plumber's tape works for me.

This use to happen on my Collings MT. I simply wrapped a piece of paper around the end pin and stuck it back in. I never had a problem after that.