Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bands you hate

Ok, Lets see you list of least favorite bands
    (bluegrass/Trad/whatever)...even if you just kinds dont like them.

Mine are the Mammals and pretty much every heavy metal band to ever exist.

Also post you most favorite as well if you like.

I have too many favs to list but two of them are Nickel Creek and #Old Crow Medicine Show.

I love them all except Nickel Creek & any band that refers to birds of any sort in their name.

Quote Originally Posted by (dave waite @ May 21 2005, 21:38)
    I love them all except Nickel Creek & any band that refers to birds of any sort in their name.
    Funny funny funny

I hate the f'in Eagles.

Seriously.

That is funny!
    Me, I can't stand anybody BUT the Mammals.

How about those non-singing "pop" (poop?) stars who don't dare to sing live can't find middle c on a piano, couldn't play a c chord if you spotted them the e and the g... and then have the go-nads to call themselves "musicians"?
    PeacE
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by (bjc @ May 21 2005, 21:56)
    How about those non-singing "pop" (poop?) stars who don't dare to sing live can't find middle c on a piano, couldn't play a c chord if you spotted them the e and the g... and then have the go-nads to call themselves "musicians"?
    They're nice to look at.

About the last time I remember being mildly pleased with what was coming out on the "alternative" airwaves was in the mid 90s when I was a teenager. That turned into Korn and the like and I lost interest. I got into the Grateful Dead around the same time and soon enough fond my way to bluegrass through Jerry and David and classic older country through Bobby. Cash and Haggard and the like. It's a shame because what I admired was the honesty in that old music.. such a contrast to the whole Britney and Spice Girls/Aerosmith/whatever else scene. Most of the CMT style "hat music" we get today seems to me to be just as bad as/worse than any N'Sync I've heard.

I don't like blatant patriotic songs, either. I'm a patriotic kinda guy (spent 4 years in the military, too) but I don't want that in my music. Patriotism is one thing and Jingoism is another; I can be patriotic without agreeing with Toby Keith about anything at all.

I don't generally like songs about causes, even if I agree with them. I tend to get bummed out at folk festivals because too much of it is people singing about dolphins or whales or sexism or hunger or whatever else. I'm for dolphins and whales and I'm against hunger and sexism but I came to hear pickin' and maybe songs about cowboys, or songs that were good enough that they're still being played 50-100 years later.

I tend to like gospel songs even though I'm not religious in any formal way.

I think that should cover it.. rant over.

--Andy

The White Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by (slewfoot @ May 21 2005, 21:48)
    I hate the f'in Eagles.

Seriously.

I don't the f'in Eagles is the correct nomenclature.

Quote Originally Posted by
    bands you hate
    Speidel Twist-O-Flex
    Rigel...the original Vermont Teddy Bear!

This is not 'nam, Smokey. There are rules.

Actually I'm just new and didn't wanna start dropping f-bombs. I haven't been around long enough to know if that's cool or not and I don't see anyone else doing it.

--Andy

Nancy Griffith (her singing style is SO affected)
    Kiss
    Almost any band played an almost any radio station that calls itself "The Mix."

I think Alison Krause is over rated.I like her band but her style is so sad and puts me to sleep (sorry Dan The Man)
    Toby and CMT artists are a bore, I'm not into that. I like Old Time,Bluegrass and Jazz (old and new "BIX LIVES") if a artist does not a good foundation I can hear that in thier style.Every few weeks I talk to friends like McCoy Tyner and Roland White who come from two different styles but come from bands I think are best of my generation . I guess I don't like bands that are money record company bands. I love Del and the boys.

The group I play, man we are aweful!

This aggression will not stand, man...

8 ch I feel you sometimes when I play with some random musicians it awful but once in a while it turns out awesome.Just depends on who shows up and how we play at different times
    Kenneth Froman

I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out than hear the Osborne Btothers!!! if I am sitting in or joining a band the first question that I ask is "which Osborne Brothers songs do you do?" if its more than one I usually bow out asap.

As far as modern country goes...I can be flexible and handle even the "Hat Gang" if its in moderation.With the exception of Toby Keith. He sounds like a Goat trying to sing...bbaaaaahhhhhh.The most annoying thing about him is that he actually should have been a Rapper, instead he sang/wrote about 10 songs for the Flag waving crowd and suddenly is the "American Boy".
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

Tone Monster -- I agree with you about Allison Kraus. Dan K is much better. Allison is like "bluegrass" for people who are really Amy Mann fans.

Surprising to hear negatives about Alison.I've been an active musician most of my life and I feel she has one of the best singing voices I've EVER heared,not to mention she has'nt forgoten her roots and comes off humble and sincer.Shes also pretty and plays the fiddle well. I'd call that a complete package,and deserves every bit of her success. I give credit to all the people who have figured out how to make a paycheck doing what they love! Hate may be to strong a word for this topic.But I will say Hazel Dickins curdles the milk in my bowl every time.
    Shudup and play your mandolin!

I really can't stand "The Closed-Minded Fools", one of the worst bands around.

Coitus?

I like any music... as long as it's good....

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Quote Originally Posted by (Yonkle @ May 22 2005, 12:19)
    Funny thread! To be honest, I don't like to listen to Bluegrass much at all, other than to learn it. I do like to play it, and to watch people play it, it's fun, but just to listen, like at home....nah! I like old time, waltz's and slower stuff. Classical music, classic rock, Dawg music,old stuff like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams is cool too. When I listen to bluegrass, I am usually listening to learn a song, and I do get amazed at how some folks can play so fast and clean, I appreciate BG for this, but just to listen for pleasure, I would rather listen to just about anything else, except new country music "Puke" and "Rap" and those "Girl bands" where they just sing and don't know how to play anything... horrible.
    Can anyone figure out why "Rap" music is still going on? Does anyone over the age of 12 really think this is music?
    When I see these guys on T.V. doing this ####, knowing they do not even know how to play music on any type of instrument, they just have a electronic beat going and yell horrible lyrics into a mic, and call it music and get paid good for it, makes me sick. I think about all the folks out there who have played mandolin, guitar, fiddle, banjo, bass ect. ect. for years and are very talented, but do it for the love of music and make zero bucks for it, or bands, Bluegrass or others, who are very very gifted and play wonderful music and never get noticed. Then some big fat ugly knitwit with baggy pants and a baseball hat on crooked, jumps around on stage and yells "F bombs" and get paid millions, (sick)
    Anyway, go ahead and trash me now for saying whats on my mind. I remember my father complaining about music in the sixtys, Beatles, Stones ect. Listening now to them and listening to what kids listen to now, makes me think we are evolving backwards, now my father thinks the Sixtys music is pretty tame now and likes a lot of it.
    The up side is a lot of young folks like Thile still know what is and is not music, so there is hope for the future, I just wish that "rap" stuff would go away, it is a insult to real musicians to call it music. #IMHO... #JD
    I agree %100!

I only didnt list rap as my least fav. type of music because ... well...it isn't music!

Quote (Yonkle @ May 22 2005, 12:19)
    Funny thread! To be honest, I don't like to listen to Bluegrass much at all, other than to learn it. I do like to play it, and to watch people play it, it's fun, but just to listen, like at home....nah! I like old time, waltz's and slower stuff. Classical music, classic rock, Dawg music,old stuff like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams is cool too. When I listen to bluegrass, I am usually listening to learn a song, and I do get amazed at how some folks can play so fast and clean, I appreciate BG for this, but just to listen for pleasure, I would rather listen to just about anything else, except new country music "Puke" and "Rap" and those "Girl bands" where they just sing and don't know how to play anything... horrible.
    Can anyone figure out why "Rap" music is still going on? Does anyone over the age of 12 really think this is music?
    When I see these guys on T.V. doing this ####, knowing they do not even know how to play music on any type of instrument, they just have a electronic beat going and yell horrible lyrics into a mic, and call it music and get paid good for it, makes me sick. I think about all the folks out there who have played mandolin, guitar, fiddle, banjo, bass ect. ect. for years and are very talented, but do it for the love of music and make zero bucks for it, or bands, Bluegrass or others, who are very very gifted and play wonderful music and never get noticed. Then some big fat ugly knitwit with baggy pants and a baseball hat on crooked, jumps around on stage and yells "F bombs" and get paid millions, (sick)
    Anyway, go ahead and trash me now for saying whats on my mind. I remember my father complaining about music in the sixtys, Beatles, Stones ect. Listening now to them and listening to what kids listen to now, makes me think we are evolving backwards, now my father thinks the Sixtys music is pretty tame now and likes a lot of it.
    The up side is a lot of young folks like Thile still know what is and is not music, so there is hope for the future, I just wish that "rap" stuff would go away, it is a insult to real musicians to call it music. #IMHO... #JD

I agree %100!

I only didnt list rap as my least fav. type of music because ... well...it isn't music!

Crooner and yonkle, your criticism of rap sounds a lot like the knock against Elvis, the Beatles, Rock-n-roll, etc. when those genres first emerged. #Imo, rap evolved out the spoken-word funk/jazz/r&b of people like Gil Scott-Heron. #It came out of the inner-city youth culture and people who were expressing the violent impoverished realities of the ghettos. There are many sub-genres - hip-hop, trip-hop, gangsta, dj, mc, etc. #Like any form of music, some of it's brilliant and some of it's trash. I just don't see how anyone can say this is # #all bad or all good w/out really listening to it w/ an open mind. #Even if I don't like a particular musician or group I can usually find something I respect about them. #How can you hate someone you don't really know?