Thread: Best from Carter's

Default Best from Carter's

Hello Cafe family. Today I went with a musician friend to both Carter's and I will provide you with my very biased faves. First we went in the main room of Carter's. The first instrument I played was a Pava Player Oval. All the things you would expect, great fit and finish and great playability. For me the tone was a little thin, but I am not a big hybrid oval fan. I think this was more an issue of my prejudice that the instrument. The best of the main room mandolins that I played I were two A models from Kimble and Ellis. They, to me were by far the best sounding mandolins in the main hall. I gave a small edge to the Ellis, but am pretty sure that is my love of Tom's particular sound. Both were outstanding instruments. I then went to the front room where the high $ instruments are kept. OH MY... The first was the Fred Carpenter/Walter Carter 5C. Great instrument. Solid tone all through the registers. I thought I met my mandolin family dream. That was until I tried the F style Gil mandola right next to it. I instantly went to music heaven. Hands down the best mandolin family instrument I have ever played. What a delicate, yet strong experience. That was the best of the instruments in the front room (did not play the Loars). Another really powerful instrument was the Tim May OM. Just beautiful tone and playability. The other Gils, Monts, Altmans and Gibsons were very strong, but the Gil mandola, that was the show stopper for me. Out of my price range, but if I could have, I would have walked out with that baby. We were a little short for time, but those were the highlights, for me. You experience would probably vary.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Best from Carter's

I need to do an addendum. I played one Duff F5 in the front room that was really spectacular. While not in the price range of the Gils, was very strong and a great value. Had I any need for an F5, it would have gone home with me. WOW. The Brentrup three point mandola was a bit disappointing, but it needed some set up work. The C string was buzzing. The Brentrup V8 , while not my cup of tea as far as style, was a superior instrument as far as tone.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

Id love to buy that Brentrup V-8

6. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah , such a wonderful place to visit. The availability of comparison instruments allows any of us to find our idea of "best". I had not played a Red Diamond until I encountered one there. An amazing instrument across all category lines. Made me want to encounter one of his L. A. Loar copies, time and patience. Thank you again Walter and Christie....... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

That's my favorite store on earth. When I was there last March my favorite were their Duffs, Ellis, Kimbles, Altmans and there was a really nice Gibson Ricky Skaggs MM. It's the only music store I've been to where I was served a free beer while playing mandolins!

"That was until I tried the F style Gil mandola right next to it." There are several Gilchrist mandolas at Carter's right now, we're you referring to the 5C mandola?

Yes, that was the one. The depth of tone was just immense. Was right next to the 5c..
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I got to stand in the middle of the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble while they ran some tunes before their showcase when the Folk Alliance was in Albuquerque back when Butch was still alive. Hearing Walter Carter play his Gilchrist H5c from a few feet away was life-changing. That's the best mandola I've ever heard, and his waltz intro to Soldier's Joy just sang. I'll never forget that.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

12. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Another addendum. First of all, Don, great post about that Gilchrist 5c mandola. I never thought I would let it go. In an unrelated issue, I also forgot to mention that I played my first Girouard. I was a very dark A model f hole mandola. What a great instrument. It had a very dark tone. I mean this as a compliment. I just loved playing it. Was like butter. Had I not just commissioned a Nyberg mandola, I might well have brought that baby home. I just called Walter Carter and left a message asking if we could make a deal trading my Old Wave (cry) for the Girouard. I think I will pull this trigger.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

14. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

As a Girouard mandola owner, I second your assessment. Amazing value for build quality, playability, and tone. Let us know if you get it.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I need to do an addendum. I played one Duff F5 in the front room that was really spectacular. While not in the price range of the Gils, was very strong and a great value. Had I any need for an F5, it would have gone home with me. WOW. The Brentrup three point mandola was a bit disappointing, but it needed some set up work. The C string was buzzing. The Brentrup V8 , while not my cup of tea as far as style, was a superior instrument as far as tone.
    Which Duff the younger or the elder?

I'm not sure, but heading back there either later today or tomorrow and will find out.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I can almost guarantee it's the newer Duff. The older one ('84?) had the top replaced. It's ok but no where near what Paul is putting out now (of the 3 2014-2015s I've played). Anyone considering that one should give the Duff A5 a run and see if you can tell any differences. $4k savings. Someone said here that the A5 that was at Carter's was on their website now but I didn't see it - maybe it sold. Several people here have also said that Mike Compton noted that post 2010 duffs are remarkably different than per 2010 versions and that Paul changed something about his building around that time. YMMV, but my hard research (nothing compared to Demitrius's, of course) led me to a Duff A5 as a pretty great value for the cash.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

The more I hear about the new Duffs, the more I want one for my next purchase. There was a great article about Paul Duff and the evolution of his building techniques that I read maybe a year ago that got me really interested.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Back to Carter's. The great Duff was the new one. The Mowry F5 is a powerful canon. The 5c Mandela is still the best I have played. I traded my wonderful Old Wave.mandola and cash for the Girouard. While the instruments are pretty much equal as far as quality, the Old Wave is used and the Girouard is new, thus the cash. I feel that very comfortable with the deal. Walter and the gang are great to work with. I recommend them highly. I will review and take pictures of the Girouard for another thread.

Girouard makes a great instrument Ive heard...

Maybe it is just me but I have this thing for A-4 clones. I just happened on this Gilchrist 2 at Carter's. Of course, Marc MacGlashan playing one of my favorite Kenny Baker tunes makes it all the sweeter. Ah, to raid my bank account...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92gilmodel2-f_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	153988 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92gilmodel2-b_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	153989

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Jim, no, it's not just you. I've been eyeballing this gem myself. Very tempting. I have a Gibson '17 A4 that my son has sort of early inherited, so this could easily take it's place.
    I love Gilchrists. I've play a number of Gilchrist's, but don't remember playing any oval holes. Love to try a few out.
    I don't know the tune Marc is playing. It sounds great. I would have liked to hear some tremolo and full body chords on it, as well.
    Don't know if I'll grab it at this time. I've been thinking about a bowl back next. Perhaps I'll PM you about that.
    Joe B

The tune is Denver Belle.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Love a good oval-hole!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Jim,
    Thanks for posting that clip. That is a lovely sounding instrument. Great playing and tone.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I really want to play the D'Angelico Mandolins there. Two stupendously beautiful instruments.
    https://cartervintage.com/products/d...nt=34254780611
    https://cartervintage.com/collection...nt=27154087811
    Raphael Ciani Galiano circa 1920
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Vivitone Acoustic #338 circa 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop
    Shutt/ Harmony Viol Mandolin circa 1930