Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade path

Default Upgrade path

So I have too much time to think during my convalescence, but am curious to get feedback from the forum. I bought an Eastman MD 505, a very solid first mando so far. Is there a parts upgrade path that would make sense? I'm thinking bridge. Tuners seem ok.

Or, move up to a higher end Eastman or Kentucky, say, in the +- $1000 range.

Or will I really not hear an appreciable improvement, and should just buy a used Collings MT and be done with it?

Default Re: Upgrade path

I would recommend you save your money and buy at least a couple of steps up for your next purchase. You'll get more bang for the buck that way.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

A Cumberland Acoustics bridge wold be the first thing to change, but make sure is is fitted to the top properly. A good luthier could do this or you can try it on your own. I suggest you PM robster (Rob Meldrum) for his free setup book. Or you can bite the bullet and upgrade to the Collings. Here is a link to Cumberland Acoustics; http://cumberlandacoustic.com/product/mandolin-bridge/

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Collings MT. That's the jump to make.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Or will I really not hear an appreciable improvement, and should just buy a used Collings MT and be done with it?
    I don't know what you mean by "done with it," as I bought my Collings MT six mandolins ago but if you can swing one, I think that you would certainly recognize and appreciate the upgrade!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Unless the parts you are thinking on replacing have been somehow damaged you will be, as A.B. writes, better off saving your money for your next mandolin. The materials construction and hardware of your mandolin are sufficient for getting most of the best this instrument has to offer, IMO. The Eastman MD 505 is a solid choice for a student instrument. As is it can last you through becoming a solid player. Then you can spend five to ten times the amount you spent on the Eastman get your next upgrade. Or bite that bullet and spend some money now on a superior instrument . And turn the Eastman over to another student or keep it as a "camping" instrument....... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

It seems that used MTs are in no way rare, and when the time comes, may be the way to go.

I'm long on acoustic guitars right now, so may sell to buy.

And yes, I'm in total denial when it comes to my ability to "be done with it".

Mandos take up so much less space, seems a shame just to have one.

8. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

A Collings would be a way to go if you like the sound of a Collings that is. I have found some I like, but there are a wealth of mandolins out there with different sounds and since you are not mandolinless and have something to play I would play as many as you can in the price range you want to upgrade to. One brand may speak to you more than another. Have fun, this part is almost as much fun as playing the one you choose. Almost.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Used Girouard A models show up now and then in the classifieds, if you see one jump on it. Max and Lauri make an outstanding mandolin.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I agree that if it is affordable, a used Collings MT would be a great choice, however, don't be fooled...you'll not be done with it until you've remortgaged the house, sold the car, and borrowed up to your teeth from the Shylock up the street for a Lloyd Loar Gibson F5, and even then, there will always be one in nicer shape. It's a sickness, Br1ck.

Blog Entries

Mandos take up so much less space, seems a shame just to have one.
    You are not only MAS infected, you are a carrier.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny A View Post
    I agree that if it is affordable, a used Collings MT would be a great choice, however, don't be fooled...you'll not be done with it until you've remortgaged the house, sold the car, and borrowed up to your teeth from the Shylock up the street for a Lloyd Loar Gibson F5, and even then, there will always be one in nicer shape.
    And an oval.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

My brother's wisdom

Don't buy a small boat hoping one day to get a big boat. Get the big boat if you can. Someday may never get here.
    Get the very best you can afford, there is no path. There is no deserving. There is just this very temporary life and momentary good health and fragile optimistic circumstances and this musical obsession that makes us happy and makes us vectors of beauty and makes our lives larger.

By the way, it is a certainty that the Collings will not be the end of the journey.

The entire staff
    funny....

There are only two good days in a boat owners life. The day he buys it and the day he sells it....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    There are only two good days in a boat owners life. The day he buys it and the day he sells it....
    That particular truism does not seem to apply to mandolins however.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    I would recommend you save your money and buy at least a couple of steps up for your next purchase. You'll get more bang for the buck that way.
    I agree ! Skip the higher end Eastmans and Kentuckys and save for a Collings, Pava or Ellis

Another vote for putting your money away for an eventual upgrade. MAS will strike...you can count on it. The 505 is a very decent starter mandolin as it is. Sooner or later you will want to move up to one of the many good mandolins mentioned in the posts above. Enjoy the journey.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Just my 2 cents: I went through a period of MAS and ended up with an Eastman MD815V and am very pleased with it.

If 7-8 grand was an easy nut to swallow, sure, I'd love to pick up a Colling MF5. But I think my Eastman is giving me everything I want.

Blog Entries

Or will I really not hear an appreciable improvement,

and should just buy a used Collings MT and be done with it?
    Most likely (and imo) you won't get the bump you wanted so...

yes - move up to the Collings MT class if you can.

I would also consider used A5 mandolins in that class such as Pava, Girouard, Silverangel, Kelley, Flatiron, Gibson and Weber. I'm sure there's many more but my coffee has not kicked in this morning
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; Jul-25-2016 at 8:27am.

22. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

gtani7 

This just showed up in the classifieds........

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/100710#100710

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

If you can, try to play your current mandolin side by side with other high end mandolins. If possible have a really good player play your mandolin and other candidates so you can hear them from up front. You might not find that you really NEED an upgrade. Want, maybe, need, maybe not. Think of other areas of your life where the money could be spent-- home upgrades? Travel? Saving for kids'/grandkids' college education.I know this is a radical around here but every time I'm tempted I think twice and back away.
    It's your money and by all means do what you want with it. I'm just suggesting.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

25. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

My suggestions:

Buy a tone-guard and a BlueChip.

Use it on the Eastman until you can buy a Collings, then swap it out.

Wait for the right Collings that speaks to you, then buy it, don't think hard, if you love it buy it.

While it's true I've bought mandolins since my Collings, I'll never sell the Collings and I still play it all the time. The newer acquisitions aren't better, they just serve a different purpose or have a different tone.

I'd strongly vote NO on getting the $1000 mandolin you suggest. It wouldn't be a drastic enough improvement over the Eastman which is really nice for the money. Just wait for a Collings.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

27. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

I have to agree with Paul here. There is nothing at all wrong with buying really nice things. Yet, sometimes good is good enough, and better doesn't improve the quality of life (hobby, passion, whatever). Now if I could just follow my own advise!

I had been feeling the itch to get a new summer toy. I bicycle upgrade! I have two nice bikes and don't need another. I have all kinds of ways to justify buying it... good for health, cheap transportation, all said and done, the cost of ownership is very low (much like a mandolin). Instead I bought a hammock (more within budget anyway) and I have a great time hanging on the side of the mountain in the evening. On the todo list is taking an instrument with me.

So I proprose:

Tone-Gard
    Selection of picks
    Hammock!

Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

29. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Yet, sometimes good is good enough, and better doesn't improve the quality of life (hobby, passion, whatever). Now if I could just follow my own advise!
    Its really true. There is a saturation point, where a small increment better in volume/tone/playability (not to mention intangible quality of life benefits) can only be achieved by a much much higher increment in cost, where even slightly better costs a lot more. At these points there is no point in spending just a little more money - its either shoot the moon or stay put. And shooting the moon brings its own consequences.

The entire staff
    funny....

Every mandolin will require some degree of maintenance etc, new strings, fret dressing, twerking the slots on nut or bridge, etc. and MAS will probably be permanently present. However, you may find the need to upgrade will slow down. Personally, I advise that you simply concentrate of becoming a better player. That will do as much or more for you than a new instrument, for there are always adjustments to be made with another mandolin. Ever since I found my current favorite, a 1920 Gibson A2 (oval of course), I don't look at other instruments as much, though I do very much enjoy from time to time checking out the stock at Fiddlers Green Music Shop here in Austin. It is always inspiring to me whenever I hear a master player pick up an inexpensive mandolin and make it sing.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

32. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post: