Thread: The South Wind

Default The South Wind

I was playing around on my Big Muddy M-3 yesterday and recorded this. Hope it works and you all like it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrmando2015 For This Useful Post:

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The South Wind

Very nice,
    I play this tune but my version is bare bones. Love the ornamentation.
    BJ

Excellent version.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Blog Entries

Nice. Good choice.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks, it's one of my favorites

Thank you.
    For me, this is an important post. I come to mandolin playing from a background as an irish flute player. I can find and play embellishments and variations for the first and second time through a tune, but I lack technique to keep it interesting every time.

Some of what I do is better than what you do, but the bulk isn't. Your recording has a bunch of moves that I've never learned. Thank you.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

Cool, that's great to hear. I came to the mandolin from the pipes and whistle and I try bring some of that feel to my music. The mandolin is a wonderful instrument for being able fill out a tune I think.

I've been listening to this recording again, and what I had to say above is still valid. There's a chunk in the middle I still haven't worked out, but It's fine playing overall. I wish I could do the same. I will, soon.

Edited:
    Actually, can you explain what your're doing in the middle bars? If you come from melody, like I do, the variations you play are hard to internalise. Are you able to explain what you're doing?
    Last edited by s1m0n; Dec-23-2016 at 9:28pm.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

Hi s1m0n,

The section in the middle is purely improvisational. I play through the piece twice, then I kind of sing the song in my head and play something to go along with it and then blend back into the original tune.

Here's another song, Captain O'Kane. If you'd like to hear more, I have a short playlist of some of my other stuff that I could share.
    Attached Files Attached Files