Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Bill Monroe?

I know there had to be a Mrs. Monroe. It's kind of hard to have a son without one. HA! Bill was great, but that would have been a flat-out miracle! Anyhow, whats the story? Why isn't she ever mentioned in the history write ups about bill? This Enquiring mind would like to know!
    Good Pickin', Steve

Carolyn Monroe was Bill's first wife and the mother of James and Melissa. They married young and some believe at the insistence of Carolyn's father when he found out his daughter was pregnant by Bill. They were eventually divorced.

There's a biography of Bill Monroe: Can't You Hear Me Callin' by Richard D. Smith. It discusses his marriage and affairs at some length. Good reading!
    Diana

Richard Smith's biography of Bill Monroe Can't You Hear Me Callin' covers some of Bill's romances and links certain songs to them.

I was most surprised by the story of "My Little George Rose."

Bessie Lee Maudlin was his long-time companion and played bass in the band for several years.

Bessie Lee several years? How about a decade of service to the Big Mon. From 1953 to 1964 she was the backbone in more ways than one. She recorded with the man, rode in the back of the bus with the man and helped convince him to do the folk circuit when Ralph Rinzler suggested he do more concerts. They had a daughter given up for adoption at birth. Her nickname was "Georgia Rose" as the story is told in the song of the same name. While Bessie Lee died in 1983, Little Georgia Rose lives on in the Carolinas. For a photo of the Carolina Songbird see:
    http://doodah.net/bgb/BessieLeeMauldin.html
    Smith only scratched the surface of the love life of the Father of Bluegrass.

Bill re-married late in life; it was a short-lived affair.
    Bessie tried to have their relationship solidified as a commonlaw marriage, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Little Georgia Rose lives on in the Carolinas
    I understand she died in 1998. See Smith, page 109.

So the Big Mon was a "player" in more than one way!

Thanks for all of your responses! It looks like I need to purchase a copy of Bills biogrophy. The more I learn, the more interesting it gets. I really like all the stories behind the songs.
    Good Pickin', Steve

the one thing i didnt care for in "Cant Ya Hear Me Calling" was the majority was devoted to romantic relationships....and the sad thing is that it didnt even scratch the surface in that area.
    you want to hear some 'stories' - get a bunch of old BG boys together when they get on this subject. and bessie was a pretty stout girl - i've heard she could hit bill harder than most men!

Carolyn Brown was the first Mrs. Monroe.
    Tom Ewing is working away on his exhaustive biography of Bill Monroe.
    Stay tuned.

In the mid to late seventies Bill and the Boys played a New Years gig in Lake Tahoe. The played two shows a night for three nights in the main room at Ceasars. Some friends of mine were in one of the two opening bands so I had a back stage pass.

I was backstage just before Bill was to go on for their first show on the first night. The Boys weren't down from their rooms yet so Bill was just standing around noodling on the Loar. I was almost transfixed watching and listening to my hero warm up. Then this very attractive, much younger than Bill, woman walks up close to Bill takes his arm and says in a soft southern drawl, "Billy, I'm gonna go watch from out front, OK?" #She kind of nuzzels #up to "Billy" a bit and he gives her the nod of approval. She called him Billy! #Wow! I wouldn't have thought anybody could have called Big Mon, Billy. Oh the power of a pretty woman! #

Georgia Rose dead? Let's just say I talked to her last year and it wasn't from the grave.

Bill's marriage to Della probably caused old "whats-her name" to go off the deep end and trash the mandos.

Miss Della was one of the nicest folks I've ever met. I'm surprised she lasted with Mon as long as she did.

Charlie

Charlie, don't forget the old lady that Big Mon had to "Bible Belt" one day.

Most curious. Perhaps we have more than one person who has been attributed as the Georgia Rose?

Yeah Tommy..

We wanted him to do a song titled...."I'm using my Bible for a ballbat".

Charlie

Knowing how fond Big Mon was of all the ladies I wouldn't be surprised if there are several Georgia Roses out there,
    and a few Little Maggies, a few Darling Coras and probably a few little Joes running around out there today.
    He did travel all 50 States without his wife.

Exclamation

Interesting stuff here. I like the info about Bessie Lee Mauldin as a "Blue Grass Boy." We have a Bluegrass Band here in California named, "Belle Monroe and the Brewglass Boys." Maybe Bessie was the inspiration for their name?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Jimbo Monroe, Bill's grandson, and I were having an interesting and somewhat candid conversation backstage at the Opry one night. He told me " Yeah, Grandfather has a black book with
    the names and phone numbers of women in most any town they go
    to. " Then, unfortunately, our converstion got cut a little
    short when the Monroe entourage left the Opry headed for the Cracker Barrel down the street. I asked Jimbo about the eating arrangements there ; He said " Grandfather eats for free ."
    James M.(Jim) Pullen

"And the beat goes on." -

So IF this "Georgia Rose" is REALLY Bill Monroes Daughter and she knows it, Why isn't it publicized or why hasn't she laid some claim to the name of Bill Monroe? I've always heard the same kind of stories about Hank Williams. And he does have some admited children. But some of the claims I've heard just sound like BS to me.

Maybe cause Richard Smith MADE IT UP to give his book a theme and some sizzle.

No harm intended..., but, I wouldn't bet on it!!

Many years ago,I did MC chores and comedy on a Saturday night country and Bluegrass radio show. One of my fellow comedians was a pretty redhead lady who was one of Uncle Bill's special friends. She was a corker and said he was too.
    Jim

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Can you say groupies?

I knew that you could!

Man, this has been going on since the they invented entertainment and Bill (it would appear) was no different than rock bands of today. #Seems like the whole thing was more on the DL when Bill was alive.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"