Thread: reflections - Thile at the Kennedy Center

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default reflections - Thile at the Kennedy Center

Living in Richmond, Virginia I rarely venture up to my hometown of Washington, D.C. That said, my duet buddy had extra tickets for Friday's Thile show, which included performances by Punch Brothers, I'm with Her, and Fleck/Meyer. Drive in was easy, parking was easy, dinner (at the Kennedy Center) was easy. Worse seats in the house, but they were still great.

On stage was a large condenser mic. Nobody for the Punch Brothers was plugged in, but the bass. Crazy how those Brothers walked in and out of the mic. Crazy just how each note had full confidence and delivery. Nothing rushed or apprehensive. Perfect delivery.

Sarah Jarosz played guitar, GBOM and mandolin. Those girls sung great! Fleck and Meyer came out playing Bach's Invention No. VI - Fleck on the right hand and Meyer on the left hand. It's just so funny 'cause the following evening, my buddy and I performed the same piece of music in Richmond - me on right hand and my partner playing left hand on guitar.

There was a jam too - of some sort that is. . . Dueling mandolins (Thile v. Jarosz) along with dueling bass, guitar, fiddle and banjo.

I don't get out enough. This time it was worth it - other than the fact I lost my red m/c ball cap.

Just one man's report of a great evening of acoustic music!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Default Re: reflections - Thile at the Kennedy Center

I was there too and completely concur. Some of the Punch Brothers' material was unbelievable, and I'm With Her was, as Thile noted, angelic harmonies. Their rendition of John Hiatt's 'Crossing Muddy Waters' made the hair on my neck stand up. And the dueling encore was wonderful. Best evening of music in a long, long time--at least since the night before with Julian Lage, Merrill Garbus, and Gabriel Kahane.

4. The following members say thank you to Richard Mott for this post:

I agree completely. I saw them in Nashville. They were outstanding.
    You really should get out to see shows more.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Blog Entries

Thanks for the report, F-D. Sounds inspiring and I can hear the awe in your description.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I was at the Friday Kennedy Center show as well. The level of musicianship was thrilling. Fatt-dad, you mention the dueling mandolin jam of Thile/Jarosz... Can you identify the fiddle tune they played? (I lean towards the lyrics side of things and am a quart low on fiddle tunes, but would like to take a stab at that one. Catchy.) And how about that improvised "Hard Times" by Bela and Gabe in memory of Ralph Stanley? I thought that was a wonderful--and kind of astounding--moment. I know CT casually mentioned in one of the workshops that maybe the curated series could happen again (yearly?) That would be just fine!

8. The following members say thank you to MsRutaRutabaga for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I can't recall the fiddle tune that Thile and Jarosz played. Sorry. Heck, I may have known it too. . .

The whole show - just great! And, yes, the tribute to Dr. Stanley was perfect!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Also check this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiVIX482rjo

The James A. Johnson Young Artists Series: How to sing with others June 25, 2016
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt. E For This Useful Post:

And "How to play with others"

What a lot to absorb. The last piece with Punch Bros was fascinating.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Living in Richmond, Virginia I rarely venture up to my hometown of Washington, D.C. That said, my duet buddy had extra tickets for Friday's Thile show, which included performances by Punch Brothers, I'm with Her, and Fleck/Meyer. Drive in was easy, parking was easy, dinner (at the Kennedy Center) was easy. Worse seats in the house, but they were still great.

On stage was a large condenser mic. Nobody for the Punch Brothers was plugged in, but the bass. Crazy how those Brothers walked in and out of the mic. Crazy just how each note had full confidence and delivery. Nothing rushed or apprehensive. Perfect delivery.

Sarah Jarosz played guitar, GBOM and mandolin. Those girls sung great! Fleck and Meyer came out playing Bach's Invention No. VI - Fleck on the right hand and Meyer on the left hand. It's just so funny 'cause the following evening, my buddy and I performed the same piece of music in Richmond - me on right hand and my partner playing left hand on guitar.

There was a jam too - of some sort that is. . . Dueling mandolins (Thile v. Jarosz) along with dueling bass, guitar, fiddle and banjo.

I don't get out enough. This time it was worth it - other than the fact I lost my red m/c ball cap.

Just one man's report of a great evening of acoustic music!

f-d
    I'm glad to hear it was such a good show. Unfortunately for us, something came up and we ended up selling our tickets at Stub Hub.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"