Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

Blog Entries

Default Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

My friend and 1st cousin, Don Young has passed. Don had organ failure after an ulcer forced him to the emergency room. He had cardiac arrest at some point, compromising his brain function. He was allowed to go peacefully June 15, 2016, at 5:35 p.m.

As his close friend and relative, I can attest to his amazing kindness and humanity.

Don and his friend, MacGregor Gains, started National Reso-phonic Guitars in the late 1980's (or there abouts) and they brought back the popularity of manufacturing and hand crafting Steel and Wood body resonator guitars.

Don learned this craft working for Dobro guitars in Huntington Beach as a young man in his 20's. He was the floor supervisor when it ended.

Don moved to San Luis Obispo in approximately 1989 and went back to the old designs of Nationals that had been made in the 20's and 30's. He brought back the name National and added National Reso-Phonic as a brand. In the last ten years, they created Smith and Young dobro-type instruments that gained popularity.

Don and MacGregor's company made some beautiful resonator mandolins, as many of you know. Don was a very good musician. When we were young, we would jam as he added fiddle, mandolin, acoustic guitar and his specialty, Hawaiian slide guitar, which he was incredible at. He was a good singer and loved old time music, early gospel and anything from the 20's, 30's and 40's, including blues.

I wanted you all in the Cafe to know that we lost a great soul and friend to all mandolin players. He will be greatly missed. Rest In Peace Don!

2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

Don was a friend...this is horrible news...
    My condolances....

4. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Don was a friend...this is horrible news...
    My condolances....
    It is tragic and far to soon, Spruce. His witty personality along with his brilliant mind will be a great loss to the world of music. He is no longer suffering. Thank you.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Don and I singing in Los Osos, 2013.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1851.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	372.1 KB 
ID:	147355
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I am very sorry to read about Don's passing. I play an RM-1 and Don was kind enough some years ago to support my music by giving me a hotplate pickup for the mandolin at dealer cost. Though we never met, due to living in separate parts of the world, he was always friendly in our corrrespondence and really encouraged us musicians whith his fine instruments. My condolences to his family and friends.
    2010 Giacomel J5 #86
    2019 David Šefl custom 2 point
    2008 National RM-1
    1941 National Style 0
    1968 Gibson EM-200

8. The following members say thank you to Bert Deivert for this post:

Very sorry to hear this.

I met Don when he was still with DOBRO. During that visit I bought a NAMM show all padauk squareneck from Don which he and the whole crew signed the label for me.

RIP

10. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Met Don and Mac years ago at the factory, both wonderful guys. Very sad news indeed.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Awww...sad news, he was a sweet guy. Good memories of the day he gave Nowell n I a tour of his factory, talking guitars and letting me sample a bunch of his mandolins.

14. The following members say thank you to Annette Siegel for this post:

How nicely written iflingpicker! You clearly appreciated the friendship you found with him. I've had a warm spot for nationals from way back when! This is sad news indeed.
    My best wishes to his family and you as well.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

16. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the tributes and comments. You are all terrific and we appreciate your well wishes and condolences. We are very sad, but know that his goodness goes on! One of the best to walk this way. Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

This is terrible news. I came down and visited Don last November, stayed at his house with him and his wife Hillary, and spoke with him on the phone about a month ago.

Starting in 2003 I worked with Don and Mac helping to develop what eventually became the National RM-1 mandolin. It was my pre-war wood-bodied National mandolin that served as the initial inspiration for the project, and once Don knew I had it he called me up here in Alaska and told me how rare it is, and how excited he was to learn that I had one. (He said he thought they'd only made about a dozen of the originals.) His enthusiasm was infectious.

What a big-hearted guy. What a terrible loss. I'm going to need some time to process this....

Dan, how is Hillary holding up?

Wade Hampton Miller

19. The following members say thank you to Wade Hampton for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Rest in peace Don.

21. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

garded

What a shock! And here I live in Los Osos!

A couple of months ago I finally had time to drop into Don's store and meet him. Very nice guy and very knowledgable. I can't say I knew him well but I'm sad I didn't get a chance to know him better.

RIP Don.

23. The following members say thank you to TonyP for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
    This is terrible news. I came down and visited Don last November, stayed at his house with him and his wife Hillary, and spoke with him on the phone about a month ago.

Starting in 2003 I worked with Don and Mac helping to develop what eventually became the National RM-1 mandolin. It was my pre-war wood-bodied National mandolin that served as the initial inspiration for the project, and once Don knew I had it he called me up here in Alaska and told me how rare it is, and how excited he was to learn that I had one. (He said he thought they'd only made about a dozen of the originals.) His enthusiasm was infectious.

What a big-hearted guy. What a terrible loss. I'm going to need some time to process this....

Dan, how is Hillary holding up?

Wade Hampton Miller
    Hi Wade, I will say very well, considering all she has gone through. She witnessed his suffering as he was on life support for over a week. She had to make some very difficult decisions. I am with you Wade, as one who visited and stayed with and dined with them. She is divine and so full of goodness. Don was a humble man and a gifted artist. I am so thankful to you for hearing your story. This is the kind of information I want to be able to share with Don's family. Best to you! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Before Mac's wife died, I was working with National to make an amp. They liked the sound of an amp I had built and heard it when someone played at the factory. I went down to discuss the amp and marketing, etc. I said I was worried about funding as they had hundreds of dealers in the U.S. and Europe. I was told

" we started in a garage, make 10 amps and we will put them into 3 places in the midwest of your choice and go from there."

This was not to be as after Mac's wife died he called and wanted to get this going, but then abruptly left the company, understandably so. I figured Don had more than enough on his plate so let the amp drop, but the encouragement and friendliness I got from the two of them I still remember. They would send me stuff from the factory if I was doing a repair like I was a dealer and I wasn't. National was a welcoming place to visit and they always made time for a tour. Sadly missed. We are losing so many of this generation lately, the ending of an era and it is hard to deal with.

26. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Pops1: Thank you for your kind words about Don! He and Mac were such a great team and made it all happen. It was tough when Marie passed away and Mac had to retire, as Don explained it. I related to your explanation of the generous spirit and open doors of their shop/factory.

I remember hearing about the potential development of your amplifier project. Don called me every few weeks and gave me an update about his vision for new products and he spoke of a fellow professional that was looking to partner on a vintage Valco-type amp that represented the early tube amps. Was that the concept about which you are speaking? How cool would that have been with your mutual logos? Thanks and please stay in touch. Dan - National M-2 player
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Dan, Yes that was me, I had built an amp for myself for harmonica, I had this idea of a double amp and it was really cool. My friend Joe Price, who was a National endorser, heard it and wanted one. When he and his wife Vicki played at the factory, which they did each year, Don and Mac were amazed they could hear the cone sound coming from the amp. I was very nervous about such a large undertaking, but they made me feel like it was no big deal and we could just grow it a little at a time. Too bad it didn't happen, but I cherish the time and support they gave me.

29. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Pops1, I am glad to know that was you who Don was referring to when he shared this idea with me in passing. Thank you for letting me know that you were treated so well and shown respect for your idea. I know Don sounded excited about it. I am glad to meet you, sir. Stay in touch if you can! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I had a number of telephone conversations and email discussions with Don a few years back and was flattered beyond reason when he invited me to be a National Reso-Phonic artist. He was a true gentleman and we shared a love for the great early 20th century music of America. His goodness will be missed, but his work will live on in so many ways.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

32. The following members say thank you to Michael Eck for this post:

I just found out yesterday. terrible news.

Don was a great friend ,he and Hilary opened their door and hearts to me at a time when i was a long way from home.
    He would call up at 2am(australian time) and leave long rambling messages on the machine about guitars,trains,sharks and whatever else popped into his head,then conclude with enthusiastic "woof woof!" noises.
    He had a zest for life like few people i have met,a surreal sense of humor,a passion for obscure oldtime music
    and a huge knowledge of the resonator guitar.
    Incredibly generous with his time and expertise, he carried on John Dopyeras vision in a way no-one else could have.
    Don influenced me with his kindness,work ethic,and sense of fun.
    He would sometimes hop aboard the slow freight trains that ran through San Luis Obispo (one time taking a bruising tumble) and catch a ride through town like one of the oldtime hobos he admired.
    I picture him swing up onto a boxcar,and waving his trademark engineers cap as the train disappears into the twilight and Jimmie Rodgers plays in the background.
    One of the best men I have ever met,and i'm proud to have known him.

34. The following members say thank you to skip sail for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    I had a number of telephone conversations and email discussions with Don a few years back and was flattered beyond reason when he invited me to be a National Reso-Phonic artist. He was a true gentleman and we shared a love for the great early 20th century music of America. His goodness will be missed, but his work will live on in so many ways.
    Michael, You said it so well. His love you and he shared for early 20th century music was something that made Don a unique and special musician. When I would visit with him over the years since he was in his early 20's, he always played such music. I am sure your talent merited his invitation. He surrounded himself with outstanding musicians! Thank you.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skip sail View Post
    I just found out yesterday. terrible news.

Don was a great friend ,he and Hilary opened their door and hearts to me at a time when i was a long way from home.
    He would call up at 2am(australian time) and leave long rambling messages on the machine about guitars,trains,sharks and whatever else popped into his head,then conclude with enthusiastic "woof woof!" noises.
    He had a zest for life like few people i have met,a surreal sense of humor,a passion for obscure oldtime music
    and a huge knowledge of the resonator guitar.
    Incredibly generous with his time and expertise, he carried on John Dopyeras vision in a way no-one else could have.
    Don influenced me with his kindness,work ethic,and sense of fun.
    He would sometimes hop aboard the slow freight trains that ran through San Luis Obispo (one time taking a bruising tumble) and catch a ride through town like one of the oldtime hobos he admired.
    I picture him swing up onto a boxcar,and waving his trademark engineers cap as the train disappears into the twilight and Jimmie Rodgers plays in the background.
    One of the best men I have ever met,and i'm proud to have known him.
    Skip, Great words and accurate! I remember the last time he was injured a bit (not enough to keep him home from the shop) when jumping the train that rolled behind the National factory doors in San Luis Obispo. I have a picture of Don at the age of 7 or 8 wearing train overalls and a train engineer's hat with the blue and white pinstripes. The calls you speak of make sense and fit with my experience as his cousin. He was always checking on me and filling me in on the latest project/design or to tell me about the shark he caught in the bay. Thanks for the wonderful tribute. I feel inclined to share it with the family, as well as the rest of the very nice comments in this thread. You and all of the cafe members who have shared about Don are a blessing at a time of loss. He and I weren't just friends as adults, but we were cousins who enjoyed our adventures on holidays and family reunions. He was always kind, brilliant and fun loving. Generous is another theme that I and all of you seem to share alike!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

I did some guitar swapping with Don over the past couple of months ending up with a terrific TriCone. He invited me down to his house and I was calling him about making arrangements the day he died.

What a great guy.

38. The following members say thank you to bjewell for this post:

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
    I did some guitar swapping with Don over the past couple of months ending up with a terrific TriCone. He invited me down to his house and I was calling him about making arrangements the day he died.

What a great guy.
    Bjewell, I am sorry that you, too, lost a friend and that your plans couldn't be completed. He loved those tricones! He had an old 1920's square neck steel bodied one he played Hawaiian lap slide on. This might have been his greatest talent in addition to all the others. He and Hillary were very hospitable, inviting and putting up friends and colleagues as often as they got the chance. He treated his cousin no differently, I am grateful to report. Blessings, Dan

Click and see Don in his glory at the Namm show with his beautiful wares displayed along with the late great Bob Brozman:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG953271.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	147652
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Jun-28-2016 at 1:34pm. Reason: add photo
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Aside from his musical and engineering talent, Don was very generous with his time and wisdom...

We first met through email, he helped authenticate an old '68 Rudy Dopyera aluminum Dobro for me, of a type that Don had seen as a kid in Rudy's workshop at Mosrite.

Then I got to talk with him in person a few times at NAMM.

What a friendly, kind, humorous guy.

He will be missed.

-- Don

41. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post: