Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another great visit to Carter Vintage - opinions on some mandolin

Default Another great visit to Carter Vintage - opinions on some mandolin

First I want to thank walter and all the staff for providing an amazing place to play a bunch of mandolins and to graciously offer to let us play them. It's like the mandolincafe of stores. It was truly amazing, well-worth the 9 hour round trip, and educational to say the least. I went to gruhn's first but only spent about an hour there, then about 4-5 in Carter's with a break for coffee next door.

I want to preface that I was on a mission to identify a few potential purchases around $4-$5k so i focused on everything in the 0-$6,500 range. Also, all of this is my opinion and my subjective interpretation of tone and playability. I played pretty much everything (well over 100 mandolins) except the loars in the case at Carters. So I wasn't taking notes (mental or otherwise) on the Gils, etc. because I knew I wasn't going to buy one. I also didn't buy anything, mostly b/c it's cheaper to ship than pay TN sales tax and to buy myself some processing time. You can look on the websites for more info and prices.

At Gruhn: Brentrups had the highest playability factor and were very bright. Duff F4 was very tinny and weak (surprisingly), the Capeks were excellent bluegrassers with a decent feel, the Summit and Cole were similar with very fat necks and gibsony voices. The Cross F5s (one at carter also) were very good for the price point, had great set up, but were very heavy. The Tope F5 was bright and woody. Silver angel, as always, had crazy deep tone but felt funny in my hands. My favorites were the Randy Wood and R.L. Givens by a long shot. Only two that really held my interest. Nothing made me want to stay or go back.

At Carter. Mandos in two rooms basically separated by the $5k mark. Of the <$5ks I liked the Poe, BRWs, Horner, Voight, Kimble (one had just sold), silver angel, and the old CE Ward A beat up Gibson copy. All of these were varying degrees of good to really good. most suffered from lack of 'feel', either having big necks or just missing something. I didn't realize this until I went to the other room, however. I would have probably been ok with any one of them but I suspect I would eventually be dissatisfied with whatever I felt was 'missing' or 'off'. I can't quantify or identify it, but once I went upstairs it was obvious.

Biggest difference, in my opinion, between the sub and over $5ks was the range of apparent quality of tone. In the sub $5k range there was a HUGE variety of sound and playability. Some were just bad, some just felt bad, some almost had it, and some were very good. Huge range. Upstairs everything was a 10 or near so. the differences in the over $5k mandolins was mostly the 'type' of great tone and the fact that they all felt incredible - in interestingly similar ways. Great neck feel, fretting, intonation, weight, etc. A few (mostly the gibsons, to me) were 10s partly because of appearance, woods, etc. and lacked a bit in the tone category. Stand-outs in my price range were the new Duff A5 (almost identical to the new Duff F5 for those who think A's and F's are different) and the Newson F5. Not quite as good as the Gils, Altman, etc. but instruments I could be happy with for a while and afford. The Heiden was very green and actually didn't blow me away. The Red Diamond A5 was a monster but out of my price range.

To me, the difference in the $2500-$4000 and >$5k was pretty huge. The differences beyond that were much smaller. The differences below the $3500 mark were very broad, with some of them (the older, beat up, or unknown builders) being very solid buys to someone. Just not me, I could hear limitations in those that I feel would bug me later. I don't know if it was a coincidence that the instruments were separated by price like they were, or if it affected me (I don't think it did). There were a few (kimble, Voight, BRW, Poe) that were almost ready for the big room but not quite.

While I was there a guy brought in another Loar to consign which brought the total to 7, I think, with one mandola.

I'm still on the hunt but I compiled a ton of helpful information to guide my choice. Not sure if it is the DPT vaccine I got Monday or the mental strain of trying to assess all those mandolins, but I am #######' exhausted.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chris.burcher For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Another great visit to Carter Vintage - opinions on some mand

Thanks. Love these Carters reviews. Hope to get out there sometime soon. Did you play the Gibson Doyle Lawson?

I did not. I'm not much of Gibson or signature guy. Apologies - I could only handle so many and I couldn't remember what I played or didn't. But, no, I did not play that one. Only Gibson I played I think was a MM and one at Gruhn's. Unless you count the C.E. Ward which says "The Gibson"

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yes I have played that Red Diamond and was very impressed at it's tone , feel and playability.... fit and finish were very fine a 10 without a doubt. I also loved the Gil A but alas buying it is not in the cards without matching six numbers. Did you take a moment with the Monteleone Grand Artist ...... that is also an amazing mandolin. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I did play the monte. impressive but a strange looking instrument for my eye. So cool that beyond the $5k mark they all sound great but different.

Oh, and the only Ellis was an F5 deluxe on hold so I did not play it and still haven't played an Ellis. Only bummer from the trip.

Plays Well With Others Nate Lee's Avatar

My student just bought the first ever Pava F model mandolin from Carter Vintage this past Sunday. Incredible mandolin. We stayed there for hours and played so many great mandolins. The staff at Carter is helpful, but doesn't stand over your shoulder the whole time either. They really like for people to come hang and play stuff, even if they know you're not going to buy something that day. I am very lucky to live near such a great store.
    Nate Lee
    Music Teacher
    Mandolin Player & Twin Fiddler for the Becky Buller Band.
    Proud owner of Pava mandolins #83 & #194
    www.TheNateLee.com
    www.PlayNately.com

9. The following members say thank you to Nate Lee for this post:

A Gibson Doyle Lawson at Carter was one of the strongest, most powerful mandolins I've ever played. I believe it sold though so this one may be different. I can't wait to make another trip down there to check things out, especially the Pava.

I was never a big Gibson fan until I tried the new Harvey builds there and they blew me away, changed my mind completely... so much so I sold an awesome Northfield for one.

The biggest standouts of my last trip were a Heiden A and one specific Altman, and a Henderson...
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

+1 for the mental exhaustion of trying to process so many parameters across so many instruments! I've done the same for guitars and you reach sensory saturation/overload pretty quickly. One thing that can really help is to go with a friend who plays, you can kind of lead each other through the process and reality check. A second pair of eyes, ears, hands makes short work of a lot of it, and really helps focus down on the ones that matter. Keeping a small notebook also helps--sometimes you simply cannot remember everything you heard in one of those jam-packed afternoons. Great review!

Tone and sound have a lot to do with the player. Your attack, and your technique have to work with the instrument. So, one player's gotta have it could be another one's "meh". You have to go with what sounds and feels good when you play it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

so are the ones you are really considering the Wood, Givens, Newsome and Duff?

Here are some thoughts.
    If you like the Red Diamond, make an offer in your price range. It won't hurt anything to ask and you could get lucky.

No, just the Duff really. I was wondering what the markups are and how low one can go with an offer for these things. I would love to get the duff for $4k and if i thought I get get the RD for 5 I would consider it. I'm much more comfortable spending $4k even with the difference.

Hey Chris. The CE Ward has quite exceptional volume and will open up and stay open when played again. The A and E strings have a nice relaxed sound, not tight. The neck is narrow (about 1 1/16") with deep semi-v shape. I sent it in awhile ago, so the J74's are likely about dead. It's definitely played in! Only selling to downsize to one mandolin and would like to see it go to someone who appreciates what it is.
    Last edited by dan in va; Jun-08-2016 at 3:31pm.

That CE Ward is one of the best sounding mandolins I've ever played.

I just checked Carter's website. How 'about that "beater" Loar for only $75K????

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I just checked Carter's website. How 'about that "beater" Loar for only $75K????
    That one's been there forever....seems like there's no takers...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by chris.burcher View Post
    No, just the Duff really. I was wondering what the markups are and how low one can go with an offer for these things. I would love to get the duff for $4k and if i thought I get get the RD for 5 I would consider it. I'm much more comfortable spending $4k even with the difference.
    The prices on new instruments tend to be pretty set. If you have a trade that provides an opportunity to negotiate a little, if they're interested in your instrument. $4k is what you would pay for a used Duff A5.

That's what I figured shaun. I did really like that Ward but overlooked it due to the appearance. And I kinda love the James tailpieces but suppose I could add that. hmmmmm save $2k . . . . . MAS is likely to continue either way. . . .

A lot of used instruments are consigned. Matt Flinner owns the Smart octave that is there. That said, the consignor sets the price range, and rarely will they take a trade.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

There's a used Duff A5 in the classifieds, NFI, just enabling.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

The one not mentioned that I would be curious about is the Smart 2-point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MN635.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	147095 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MN635-5.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	147096
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Chris
    excellent write up(always enjoy hearing about your travels and trials-you have a neat way of describing and don't hold anything back, much like your playing).

interesting to see what you end up with.

ahem.............one of these Apitius might be right up your alley(trying to get you to buy one so I can come by and try it out)
    http://www.vintagemandolin.com/01api...lassic_82.html
    http://www.elderly.com/apitius-grand-classic-f-2005.htm

Jim, that Smart 2-point really makes me drool. I want one bad. Probably my fave 2 point, love the color, the shape and the head stock design.

I love making the annual trip to Carter because every year something different blows my mind, and often, the brands that blew me away one year are lack luster another. I suppose string age plays into this largely, as well as individual mandolins being standouts, etc.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra