Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wegen Picks

Default Wegen Picks

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't remember: Which Wegen pick would be the large triangular size of the Pro Plec large triangle? I think the thickest is a 1.4, but I'm not sure about that either. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.
    Daniel Kaufman

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Wegen Picks

Wegen TF140
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Well worth trying. I quite enjoy the tone and speed bevel. TF140 is a great pick for the price.

I've been searching around, looking for the lowest price. At our school teacher budget, we have to do this. Any leads on who's selling them for less?
    Daniel Kaufman

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

They're usually $15 for a pair.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    I've been searching around, looking for the lowest price. At our school teacher budget, we have to do this. Any leads on who's selling them for less?
    You can keep an eye on the classifieds. I just sold two for $10.

The Wegens are worth the money. That said, if you can't swing $15, Dunlop Primetones are like 3 for $6 and worth checking out also.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I sure like the TF140's. I have Wegens and Primetone's and go back and forth between both of them. Sometimes within minutes...I think thats pretty much natural...moving back and forth between those we like. I did take a Dremel and gouged some lines across the Wegens. Between the deep scratches and the holes they stay pretty much in place on my fingers.

Another way to justify the price of a Wegen is that it may just cure your MAS.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Strings and beyond has a 15% coupon sale for picks not alot but atleast some , i ordered a set of wegen bluegrass picks today, lost most of mine . I use wegen bluegrass and bluechip picks mosly
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

My go to Wegen pick is the Dipper. Fairly large, it has three different pick corner profiles, rounded, pointed and pointier. 1.4mm is the one I use.

I have been thinking of having them make a pick with different corners, I am glad they are doing so now. Unfortunately they are not making the M100 with holes, at least I have not found them anymore.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hey Pops, you can get those M100 with holes at themandoshop.com! (NFI)

14. The following members say thank you to Three-Dz for this post:

pops1 

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have been thinking of having them make a pick with different corners, I am glad they are doing so now. Unfortunately they are not making the M100 with holes, at least I have not found them anymore.
    Contact Michel and see what he'll do. I asked for a TF140 with one rounded off corner like the M150, and he made it for a very, very slight upcharge.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Thanks Chris, I have already emailed him, just waiting for a reply.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I recently bought some M100s with holes direct from Michael himself.

Well, I went on and bought a 1.5 TF 150, which I didn't know Wegen made. I did pay full price, so it will be off to teach summer school. They came 2 to a set so I'll see if I like them as much as my Pro Plec, which is my 2nd go-to pick after my not to be mentioned material pick which is my favorite. Thanks, everyone for your help and feedback.
    Daniel Kaufman

I just received my TF 1.5 and I think it's now my #1 pick. The sound and volume is excellent and I am very happy with how it feels in my hand. Well worth the money!
    Daniel Kaufman

20. The following members say thank you to FrDNicholas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Dz View Post
    Hey Pops, you can get those M100 with holes at themandoshop.com! (NFI)
    Got some on the way, still waiting for a reply from Michael.

I just received my first pair of TF140s in the mail the day before yesterday. When I picked up the mandolin a few years ago, I started with my "old standard" Dunlop 1mm nylon. Since then I have tried a lot of picks. Listed in order of my preference:

1) Any number of heavy, usually nylon, picks
    2) Golden Gate (the former "Dawg," I do believe)
    3) Dunlop Primetone
    4) TF 140

The TF 140 is definitely superior. While I find it a modest improvement over the Primetone for mandolin (it brings out the treble better) it really shines on guitar, as well, whereas the Primetone and Dunlops were just passable. I was wondering if the modest improvement was worth the extra cost for mandolin, until I used it on guitar.

Absolutely worth it.

Note: though I have spent several thousands on mandos and guitars, I have never been one to jump on the bandwagon with "boutique" picks. In fact, I spent about a month deciding if Primetones were worth giving a try, at like $3 each. LOL. Yeah well. Just call me "cheap." Who knows, maybe someday I will even buy a BlueChip or whatever those things are

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    Note: though I have spent several thousands on mandos and guitars, I have never been one to jump on the bandwagon with "boutique" picks. In fact, I spent about a month deciding if Primetones were worth giving a try, at like $3 each. LOL. Yeah well. Just call me "cheap." Who knows, maybe someday I will even buy a BlueChip or whatever those things are
    Just in case you're not aware of this - there is a "Traveling Pick Sampler" going around the cafe users - you could sign up on the list to receive it, and you'd be able to try out the two Blue Chips that are contained in it. IMO there was never a better 'try before you buy' deal than the cafe pick sampler. Over 40 picks of various types in there.

Caveat: Once you get signed up there may be quite a wait before it gets to you, depending on how many are in line to receive it ahead of you.

If you're interested in signing up, search for the thread "Traveling Pick Sampler".
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

24. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Its very easy to drill a few holes in most picks. I drill 3 holes, 1/8" diameter each, in all my picks, including the blue chips. Helps with grip and anti-rotation for me. On one of my thinner casein picks ( Papa's) it later broke as a result. I like the Wegen M200, 250 and 300. All of mine have holes I drilled in them.

Got some on the way, still waiting for a reply from Michael.
    Did you get your reply from Michel yet. When I tried to contact him, it took 5 weeks and 3 emails before he finally responded. When I called him out on why he didn't answer my first two emails he got very nasty with me. I hope your experience is better.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I just bought some more from the Kyle at the Mando shop and when/if Michael gets back to me I may order a custom pick. I had two made for me from BC before they started making them to put in stock. If I find something I like I want to have the same thing in all the mandolin cases, tuner in each case, etc. I don't want to have to think did I bring something because I grabbed a different mandolin.

I looked into buying some prim tone rounded picks on the Internet and one dealer wanted to charge more for shipping than the three picks cost, I did further research and found that a company called Jax Music has the picks and has free shipping... NFI on my part just a good company to seal with...

I find that the rounded point edge takes away a lot of the shrill sound that some mandolins have when played up the neck a ways...As usual, one pick does not suit everyone`s taste so you have to try different ones as well as different strings and hopefully you will hit the right combination for you mandolin (s)

I also drill small holes in all of my picks so they won`t turn in my fingers...

Willie