Thread: Old or new?

Default Old or new?

I'm new to this world, but already looking ahead to my next purchase. I'm drawn to old wood by nature, my guitars being in the older but not scary expensive vintage. 1965 Epiphone Texan, 1980 Martin M36, and Guild 1970 D 35.

So if I were going to drop $2000 on an instrument, is there anything older I should look at that would compete with a used Collings MT, Silverangel, Weber, or other?

I have no problem sticking with the A style, but it would need to be a significant upgrade over my Eastman MD 505.

I'm too new to have a mandolin style, so lets say old time bordering on bluegrass capable.

Default Re: Old or new?

I had great luck with a teens Gibson A 2. It was easy to play and had a sweet sound.

I love my teens Gibson A too, but wouldn't call it exactly 'bluegrass capable.'
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

For $2000, and willing to go to an A-style, I'd be buying a Pava. That will definitely get you a used one (if you can find one). Best bang for the buck, IMHO.

For bluegrass, in your price range, an older instrument is probably 80's or 90's, in which case a Gibson A5L might do the trick for you..

Early 20s Gibson, depending on condition/model/whatnot.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

If looking at used or vintage, look for a used Flatiron A5. They are excellent mandolins and the A5 can be found in that range.

9. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Blog Entries

I like the look and sound of the one Flatiron A5 I've played. Some nice looking ones online for 1500 -2000.

Wondering if they are consistent enough in tone/playibility to chance without a trial period? For instance I would feel pretty safe buying a used Collings or Pava online w/o playing first

In your price range there are many candidates listed in the classifieds here on the Cafe. It might be worth a look to get an idea of what is available, at what price range. There is a Gibson A-5L that looks very nice for just slightly over your budget.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/98937#98937

Good hunting!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    I love my teens Gibson A too, but wouldn't call it exactly 'bluegrass capable.'
    But, what about Red Rector? He's bluegrass capable! It's all about set up.

"How far to Key West.....Anybody here tell me how far to Key West?"
    Jaycat and I have a Bogart addiction but, if I'm ever down that way I will be sharing some beverages with Journeybear!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Thanks for the info. I'll just play a bunch and educate myself as I go along. Just restrung my Eastman for the first time. What a nice ax for the dough. My wife said no more guitars, but didn't say nothing about mandolins.

I'm having a ball. Lots of guitar technique ports over, and quick hammer on, pull off licks seem to play cleaner. Is this due to string tension being greater?

So far, my fave guitar pick, a Wegen Dipper 1.4 is working out fine.

Timbofood, yes Red Rector played an A-4 but he was Red Rector! Set up does not trump sheer talent.

I have been to Key West and shared beverages with Journey Bear and it is worth the effort.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Have a good look here :- https://themandolinstore.com/product...mandolin-case/
    The Kentucky KM900's have an great reputation for being terrific sounding mandolins. The design is firmly based on the ''Griffith'' Loar,the only know Gibson "A" style signed by Lloyd Loar :- http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/74003 At $999.0 US,it's half of what you're willing to pay & paying 'double' doesn't always get you 'double' the tone & playability - in reality,it rarely does.
    Other than that,look for a good ''used'' Kentucky or other make,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky-KM900.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	146934
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Another vote for a Pava. I just purchased a used one for $2000 about a month ago. I also own a Givens and an Old Wave, but I can't put the Pava down. I can't believe how nice it is for the money.

If you want really old wood.... A pre-Loar (1910's) A-2 would be in that range, but you might find a late 20's A that is below 3K (with Loar inspired improvements).

For new A's, consider Pava... it will be around 2,800 for her player model.

If you wanted an F, there are a host of makers who use well seasoned wood in new instruments. Northfield as an example, has several lightly used F5S's and F5O's in the classifieds section around 2K. You should also consider Collings MT's and MT2's from around 1990-2000 which will have really opened up by now.

Best,
    David