Thread: strings

Default strings

for a Weber A Black Ice (new)

I am wondering what kind of strings you would recommend and in what way they influence the tone.

Thank you.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: strings

IMO each instrument and player has the best for them set of strings floating around out there. Some players even mix set gauges to achieve this. Finding that set can be a search of several sets of strings. D'Addario XJ74 strings are the favorite of many and a valid point to start your search. DR, GHS, Curt Mangan, Thomastic, are a few other brands you may wish to investigate. You may also want to try out the slightly heavier gauge sets available from these makers. One way to do this is to buy several sets of strings from an online provider. JustStrings.com is a vendor , among others, to investigate. While they are an excellent source for many types of instrument and brands of strings buying one set is not feasible due to a shipping charge . Which I will note is reasonable when costed out over several sets of strings but not for a single set. Note: Weber may ship their instruments with D'Addario strings on them from the factory. My memory is fuzzy on that.
    Insofar as tonal influence you have thickness or gauge of string, the more mass to the string the beefier the tone and volume, but not on every mandolin. Older flat top mandolins aren't built to take the stress. The other major difference is material, monel, bronze, phosphor-bronze, stainless steel or silk and steel. These materials respond differently to different instruments but a generality would be bronze is mellower in tone and steel and steel alloys tend to be brighter. Enjoy the search. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Blog Entries

I agree.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Any difference in playability between say, stainless steel strings and phosphor bronze if they are the same gauge? Is it all just tonal preference?

I don' want to start anything, but EFW74 (stainless flat wound) are not as bright to me as the bronze strings. Maybe it's the flat wound design or just my age diminished hearing. Ymmv

Flat wound strings are a lot easier on the hand, especially if you use a lot of slides.