Thread: strapholder A mandolin tone influence ?

Default strapholder A mandolin tone influence ?

I bought a Weber A Black Ice and consider a strapholder fixed to the neckjoint. Do you think this might influence the tone ? What is your experience ? Would do it or why not ?

The instrument ist still with the retailer. He would fix the strap button to the side of the neck joint.

Thank You.

Default Re: strapholder A mandolin tone influence ?

I'm of the opinion that everything physically touching the instrument affects it's tone in some way, but I think you'd need some inhumanly sensitive ears to hear the difference a strap button would make.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Hi Werner,

We can't worry about everything, and this is one of those things that I wouldn't worry about. Think about how you might otherwise attach the strap. These other attachment methods could, conceivably, have a larger impact on tone.

If you want a strap button in that location, go ahead and have it put on. Some people would, some people wouldn't. It's your mandolin. Do what will make it best for you.

Congratulations on your new Weber. It's a great instrument and I am sure you will love it.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

5. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

The alternative is to attach to the headstock in some way which seems obtrusive to me, and could conceivably cause some lateral flexion of the neck. You see plenty of pickers who do it this way but the majority do not. I'd get the button.

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Hudson for this post:

tie it around the fretboard/neck joint.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

9. The following members say thank you to fentonjames for this post:

The headstock is where I have always attached a strap. Next to the tension of the strings the weight of the mandolin is a pretty significant stress and I find it balances better than a strap on the body or heel of the neck. It has not bothered my old Gibson nor any other mandolin in the last 40 yrs.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

I'll just say nope. The mass is very small. If your tone varies that much from the presence of a strap button screwed into the back of the neck, variations in tone from the different number of fingers pressing the board, or how much of the mandolin back is in contact with your body will have every bit or more of an affect on your tone. I just don't think you'll hear a difference.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

I've put many strap buttons on guitars, mandolins, bouzoukis, etc. when I did repair work. I've never had anyone come back to say the tone changed at all. I've also never heard a tone change. On my Weber Bighorn Custom I put a strap around the neck/body join because I do not want to put a hole in my pristine beauty. Like Bob said it's your mandolin, do what you like. Smile, play, enjoy.

15. The following members say thank you to AMandolin for this post:

I have used a strap under the fretboafd extension with both a flat strap and a piece of rawhide boot string leather, I have used a hide string between the tuners under the strings on the peg head. and finally a strap button on the treble side of the heel using a thin flat. Supple strap. The last one is the most comfortable to. me. I don"t notice any change in tone or volume. The strap under the fretboad might effect the sound ever so slightly.

17. The following members say thank you to texaspaul for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160518_082606.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	146454

19. The following members say thank you to AMandolin for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I doubt that a strap button would have any noticeable influence on the sound, but I always just tied around the FB like in the above photo from AMandolin. The easiest solution is usually the best solution.
    Living’ in the Mitten

21. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Thank you all.

I told the retailer to fix the button. I will also have a tone guard, my first.

"variations in tone from the different number of fingers pressing the board, or how much of the mandolin back is in contact with your body will have every bit or more of an affect on your tone."Quote Jamie

I suppose this kind of instrument will respond to these things. I hope, anyway.

Strappin is mounted... :-)
    Martin Hense Martin's Musik-Kiste from Germany

Last edited by Werner Jaekel; May-18-2016 at 5:17pm.

25. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post:

Many folk use this method,the ''around & under'' the fingerboard extension method. It doesn't damage the mandolin in anyway & hangs just like an F5 mandolin - at least,my own Ellis "A" style does,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap 1 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	146496

PS - If you ever come to sell it,some folk might think of the button as 'damage'. I won't quote Tom Ellis's remark when i told him that the first owner of my 'used' Ellis had screwed a Bass guitar strap pin into the neck. The thing was the size of a dinner plate & really was in my way,so out it came & i filled in the hole.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

27. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: