Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TKL Mandolins

Default TKL Mandolins

Does anyone have experience with these mandolins? They seem to be pretty new and while the first batch has been pretty well sold through (by what I have been told) I can't seem to find a review on here. Has anyone dealt with the shop for other mandolins? It seems to me that much of the value is based on his knowledge of mandolins and the pro setup. I am interested in them and would like to see if anyone has played or owns one OR has dealt positively with the store. It looks like he used to sell J.Bovier but opted to source out his own line instead which he (of course) says is superior to the Eastmans and Boviers. Thanks!

http://themandoshop.com/tkd-mandolin...mandolins.html
    Last edited by Johnny-Alien; May-11-2016 at 6:48pm.

2. The following members say thank you to Johnny-Alien for this post:

Default Re: TKL Mandolins (TheMandoShop)

Johnny-Alien,
    I just sent you a PM.
    Last edited by Franc Homier Lieu; May-11-2016 at 6:49pm.

I realize this looks like it was my first post...I actually was a member previously but the old account was tied to an old email address and I forgot the password. The password reset would go to my old email so I was stuck creating a new account. This is a great community that I hope to be a part of once again!!

Another post about the Mando Shop by a members' first post. Hmmmm??
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I was just warned about this. I tried to explain that I am not actually "new". I was facing a few choices of what to get and there were just no searchable reviews so I thought I would ask. If it makes things better I am 100% OK with people posting negative opinions.

The fact that there were potential shills from the company makes me have way less faith in the shop though.

7. The following members say thank you to Johnny-Alien for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-Alien View Post
    I realize this looks like it was my first post...I actually was a member previously but the old account was tied to an old email address and I forgot the password. The password reset would go to my old email so I was stuck creating a new account. This is a great community that I hope to be a part of once again!!
    Is this your old member name?
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ibson-mandolin

Yes. That was me.

I didn't know The Mando Shop has their own house brand mandolins; I guess everyone is doing it now. I have not heard anything about it before. At first glance they remind me more of those Morgan Monroe Rocky Top models than Eastman or JBovier. Just my own impression and what struck me first.

A well kept secret indeed! A quick something search yields a couple of interesting results, including this

http://www.mandohangout.com/topic/42596

And this

http://www.theplathfamilyband.com/micah-plath.html

I merged your old account with your new account. By the way, this is a legitimate request for information if anyone has any. Hopefully you'll get a legitimate answer and not a first time poster.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-11-2016 at 9:14pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

some correction to the title of the thread may help future searches. TKD is the brand of mandolin. TKL is a brand of cases.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Dunn at The Mando Shop
    I am tap tuning each mandolin after the build is complete by using hand tools through the sound holes. Adjusting wood thickness to tune the top to the A440 Hz pitch standard improves volume and sustain, increases overtones and makes the mandolin more responsive. This is one of the reasons why the TKD mandolins’ sound can compete with some mandolins costing thousands more.
    is this effective?

Default Re: TKD Mandolins (TheMandoShop)

I have a friend in Thailand who bought one last year. He is very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    is this effective?
    I was going to post a question about this in the builders section. The tiny bit I know of tap tuning (including how controversial it is in the first place) is that it is done during construction. I mean, common sense would dictate that with a completed instrument there would be advantages to, you know, plucking those wire things to see what kind of sound the instrument makes.
    Last edited by Franc Homier Lieu; May-12-2016 at 8:52am.

Does anyone have experience with these mandolins? They seem to be pretty new and while the first batch has been pretty well sold through (by what I have been told) I can't seem to find a review on here. Has anyone dealt with the shop for other mandolins? It seems to me that much of the value is based on his knowledge of mandolins and the pro setup. I am interested in them and would like to see if anyone has played or owns one OR has dealt positively with the store. It looks like he used to sell J.Bovier but opted to source out his own line instead which he (of course) says is superior to the Eastmans and Boviers. Thanks!

Better check old threads regarding the Mandoshop. I have dealt with the owner with horrible results ! There are others with positive results but I would never buy there again or have Kyle set up a mandolin. Enough said !

- - - Updated - - -

Better check old threads regarding the Mandoshop. I have dealt with the owner with horrible results ! There are others with positive results but I would never buy there again or have Kyle set up a mandolin. Enough said !

Blog Entries

I purchased a J Bovier mandolin from Kyle and he was great! He was professional, kind and supportive in allowing me to make choices as the buyer. His set-ups are really nice, he makes the instrument comfortable and the voicing is enhanced by his methods, I believe. I recommend Kyle highly and I hope to someday have the opportunity to play one of his house brand mandolins.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

A Cafe member has purchased one of these and he is very happy with it. I have played it and heard it up close and in jams....nice tonal qualities; reminds me of my old JBovier...right in the same class as a Kentucky, Eastman, The Loar, etc.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    I was going to post a question about this in the builders section. The tiny bit I know of tap tuning (including how controversial it is in the first place) is that it is done during construction. I mean, common sense would dictate that with a completed instrument there would be advantages to, you know, plucking those wire things to see what kind of sound the instrument makes.
    I don't know if it would be effective. The changes, physically speaking, are going to be very subtle (if not negligible). The wood selection, air volume, break angle, port aperture size, and plate graduations are more significant by an order or two of magnitude than the amount of wood on the tone bars.

But our brains are weird. A $200 bottle of wine is essentially impossible to distinguish from a $20 bottle, even by experienced tasters. Presentation, price (higher price = better), good service, and a hands-on approach lend an expectation of quality. When we have an expectation of quality, our experience is better. So whether it has any physical benefit or not is difficult to prove and largely irrelevant. The fact that he cares enough to do it means that people will enjoy the instruments more. Carry on.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

I may be entirely wrong about this, but I thought tap tuning was something done to the top plate during carving and before assembly. Why would you tap tune a mandolin that is already built?
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I may be entirely wrong about this, but I thought tap tuning was something done to the top plate during carving and before assembly. Why would you tap tune a mandolin that is already built?
    A short-cut way of doing it because the factory workers are not trained to do it.

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

26. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

How is this different from what Stelhen Perry does. Does't Kyle clean up the edges of sound hole make sure there are no rough finishes on the inside of the plates and smooth any rough spots and glue off the tone bars?

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    A short-cut way of doing it because the factory workers are not trained to do it.
    I bought a Givens Legacy (actually one F and one A) that needed to have the frets seated before it was playable, so there's some work that needs to be done on even domestic made mandolins to make them closer to 100%
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

29. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I bought a Givens Legacy (actually one F and one A) that needed to have the frets seated before it was playable, so there's some work that needs to be done on even domestic made mandolins to make them closer to 100%
    Mary,

I think final set-up work is not the same skill set as tone-bar graduations; if I'm wrong and the skill-level/difficulty is the same, I stand corrected, but I don't think so...

Blog Entries

I think tap tuning (or a variety of it) was done during Steven Perry of Gianna Violin's Mandovoodoo process / set up. He taps the top and uses a small scraper inside the chamber of a finished instrument to remove a little wood to change the plate's responsiveness. Maybe that's what they mean... maybe not. The language of building isn't always uniform.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quite a few instruments get "voiced" (which is what we call it around here), by having tops thinned, brace or tone bar sizes reduced, braces "scalloped" so that 1950-75 Martins are braced more like older guitars, etc. I have a 1957 Martin D-18 that's been "voiced," and it sounds really great. Idea is to reduce top mass, so that the top's more responsive to string vibrations.

But that's not exactly "tap tuning." I don't see how it would be possible to tap-tune a mandolin top when attached to the back and sides. Doesn't the top have to be a separate piece of wood, which is then made to vibrate, and its vibrating frequency modified by carving or sanding wood from its thickness -- either from the overall top, or from the tone bars?

I assume the vibrating frequency of the top of an assembled mandolin would be influenced not only by the top's thickness, but by the mass of attached sides, neck and back. Hope that some of the real builders on the Cafe will correct me if I'm off base.

Thinning the top of an instrument -- in general -- may well produce more volume. But is that "tap tuning?"
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM