Thread: Intermediate Mandolin Advice?

Default Intermediate Mandolin Advice?

I looking at getting back into learning to play the mandolin and have seen the Loar LM-500 as an intermediate instrument to consider. Are there any others that you guys or gals could recommend I look into? Thanks for any help. I am presently trying to sell a short scale Gretsch bass (NIB) Junior Jet that I bought when I was in the collecting mood and that I am hoping will give me some good funds. Can anyone tell me if I can advertise it on this site?

Frank Scott

Default Re: Intermediate Mandolin Advice?

We have a classified section here at the cafe. You can advertise your bass under "other string instruments".

You should consider Eastman 300 or 500 series instruments as well as Kentucky 500 series or above. A Howard Morris made in USA instrument would be with that general price range too. You could also investigate the used market as well. Just peruse the mandolins in our classifieds and find something you like in your price range. There is also a section for trades. Maybe someone would be up for a direct trade, your bass for their mandolin. Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

gtani7 

My favorite mandolin for less than $1000 is the Eastman MD505. $700 new. If you can't go that high, you might find one used for less, or a cosmetic blemished one.
    I also like the Kentucky KM505.

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar. There is no wrong choice among them.

Are you set on an F-style?
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

7. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Blog Entries

All of the above and you can't go wrong. Two more huge suggestions: Get one of Sonny Howard Morris's A5 or A oval handmade in the USA-- Mine sounds like a much, much more expensive mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/96686#96686
    J Bovier makes an amazing mandolin for that 3/4 of that price: http://www.jimmyheffernan.com/store/...tage-sunburst/

9. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

gtani7 

What is your budget? Does if have to be an F5 style or will an A style mandolin work?

I recently bought an Eastman MD505 from The Mandonlin Store. I am very happy with it. One of these days I hope to be able to play it in a manner that won't embarrass the instrument .

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar. There is no wrong choice among them.

Are you set on an F-style?
    No I am not. I heard from a luthier in New Mexico the F-style is good for looks only. They do not offer any extra benefit to the sound. The A-style gives you the same amount of sound. If anyone knows by experience any different please let me know because at present I have decided to also consider a quality A- style mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    What is your budget? Does if have to be an F5 style or will an A style mandolin work?
    A- style will work just fine. I am after a good tone. My budget is only around $350 so I am trying to find a good used one. If I can sell or trade my NIB Gretsch short scale bass then I would be able to go probably $450 or $500. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Musical%20Instruments

$350 is plenty to get a nice used A style.

The top choices that should be somewhere in this price range would be Kentucky's like the new KM-150 up through KM-505. Models higher than the 150 will probably be older versions simply because there are not many of the new ones out there yet.

Eastman MD305.
    The Loar LM-400.

You will see lots of other choices and even some F models here and there. I would concentrate on the above models and ask before going with anything you are not familiar with.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    $350 is plenty to get a nice used A style.

The top choices that should be somewhere in this price range would be Kentucky's like the new KM-150 up through KM-505. Models higher than the 150 will probably be older versions simply because there are not many of the new ones out there yet.

Eastman MD305.
    The Loar LM-400.

You will see lots of other choices and even some F models here and there. I would concentrate on the above models and ask before going with anything you are not familiar with.
    Thanks for the advice Robert.

If you're looking new, I think the Kentucky KM250 is the best at that price point. $375 from Elderly. Add a musician's Gear case for $50, and you're all set!
    http://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-250-mandolin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by julyboy View Post
    No I am not. I heard from a luthier in New Mexico the F-style is good for looks only. They do not offer any extra benefit to the sound. The A-style gives you the same amount of sound. If anyone knows by experience any different please let me know because at present I have decided to also consider a quality A- style mandolin.
    That's not completely true. The F-style's acoustic chamber typically has more room on the base side, and as a result affects the tonal maturity for the low and low-mid. The A is symmetrical inside, and that provides a balanced and slightly more treble-centric tone.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    That's not completely true. The F-style's acoustic chamber typically has more room on the base side, and as a result affects the tonal maturity for the low and low-mid. The A is symmetrical inside, and that provides a balanced and slightly more treble-centric tone.
    That's not completely true either. . . There are so many point-counterpoint discussions that it's most likely that there is no real reason to claim any difference in sound. For most builders there is no acoustic chamber in the scroll.

This is the internet though. . . And, I'm very happy with my a-style mandolins.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A