Thread: Has D'Addario changed the Flat Wounds?

Default Has D'Addario changed the Flat Wounds?

Just got some EFW 74, seems they have done away with the wound A. The pack I received has a solid A. I looked on their web site and this is what is available now, oh well!

Default Re: Has D'Addario changed the Flat Wounds?

I've never had a wound A with the Daddario flatwound FW74. Maybe you're thinking of the sets from TI? They have a flatwound A down to .014. I think the thinnest FW that Daddario makes is a .020

Are you sure youre not thinking about EFT-74's? Those are called flat tops and not flat wound and I believe the A is wound on those. As far as I know the EFW-74's have never had a wound A string.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike001 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
    Are you sure youre not thinking about EFT-74's? Those are called flat tops and not flat wound and I believe the A is wound on those. As far as I know the EFW-74's have never had a wound A string.
    I forgot about the flat tops. They do have a .015 wound A. They are made differently than the flatwound. Flatwound are made with flat stainless windings. The flat tops are made with round phosphor bronze windings that are then ground flat.

6. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I developed these with D'Addario. They never had a wound A.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

You guys are right, I was thinking of the Flat Tops. Sorry, my mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Dz View Post
    You guys are right, I was thinking of the Flat Tops. Sorry, my mistake!
    How do you think the sound of the flatwound compare to flattop?

I like the FW better, deeper tone and a richer sound. The thing I don't like is, I lost some bottom end punch on my mandolin. I wish the G was at least a .38 or .39. .36 is just a little to thin for my Ratliff R5. I do like the feel of them, gonna give them a chance!

The FT sound just like reg strings to me. Just have a smoother feel, that's the only difference on my mandolin. They are not close to being as smooth as the FW.

From the OP - "The FT sound just like reg strings to me.". A few years back,i used to use the FT74's & i agree,they sounded exactly like J74's (now EJ74's). As the FT's were twice the cost of J's,i went over to J74's,although the FT74's were smoother under the fingers. If it's ease of playing that you're after,then personally,i really like GHS A270's which i use on my Ellis "A" style. The windings on the G & D strings seem finer than the windings on say,EJ74's & are really easy on the fingers - they sound terrific too,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

JimYThree-Dz 

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Dz View Post
    I like the FW better, deeper tone and a richer sound. The thing I don't like is, I lost some bottom end punch on my mandolin. I wish the G was at least a .38 or .39. .36 is just a little to thin for my Ratliff R5. I do like the feel of them, gonna give them a chance!
    I've been using the FW74's for several years now. I also wanted to try a heavier G. What I did was buy a .038 string from the Chromes electric guitar set from emando.com. Those are the strings that were used as the basis for the FW74 set. I've had the FW74 set with the .038 G installed for well over a year now and they sound great. The thing about buying from emando is it gives you the option to buy with or without the ball end. Otherwise you have to remove the ball yourself.

16. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Bronze round wound and then Ground flat was the set with the wound A .. flat top
    core wire is very thin , they tended to break on me in a couple days ..

The silver ribbon wound uses a Plain music wire A ... It's a separate Product. ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

18. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I am indeed looking for ease of play and good tone Ivan! Thanks for your input I will give them a try.

I will give that a try also, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I've been using the FW74's for several years now. I also wanted to try a heavier G. What I did was buy a .038 string from the Chromes electric guitar set from emando.com. Those are the strings that were used as the basis for the FW74 set. I've had the FW74 set with the .038 G installed for well over a year now and they sound great. The thing about buying from emando is it gives you the option to buy with or without the ball end. Otherwise you have to remove the ball yourself.
    I went with the .040 G string, since that's what I'm use to playing instead of .038. It made a big difference in the lows and give it a balanced sound. I've still lost a little punch, but I'm diggin' the tone. I will leave them on for while and see what happens, plan on trying the GHS A270 later on. Thanks again guys for all your input!