Thread: 1920 Gibson A Tailpiece repair or replacement

Default 1920 Gibson A Tailpiece repair or replacement

Hi everyone,
    I posted about my 1920 Gibson A purchase back in October, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit since. One thing I noticed when I re-strung it the first time - one of the little metal tabs of the tailpiece, that the string loop attaches to, is missing. Specifically, it is the tab where the first G string attaches. In its place, someone placed a small screw and nut, so the string has something to attach to (see attached pic). Problem here is the string doesn't stay on this screw during re-stringing, it just flies off, and it's very annoying.
    My question is does anyone know how to either repair or replace this tailpiece? The tailpiece cover is in fine shape, and I'd like to keep that. Should I look for a period correct tailpiece, or does Stewmac have something that would work? I really want to get this mandolin into full playing shape, and am not so concerned with originality, etc. I just want a solid replacement that the original cover can slide onto.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3263613.jpg 
Views:	1656 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	144828

Thanks for any ideas!
    Mike

Default 1920 Gibson A Tailpiece repair or replacement

Hi,
    I just posted this over in the Vintage section, but it might be more appropriate here:

I posted about my 1920 Gibson A purchase back in October, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit since. One thing I noticed when I re-strung it the first time - one of the little metal tabs of the tailpiece, that the string loop attaches to, is missing. Specifically, it is the tab where the first G string attaches. In its place, someone placed a small screw and nut, so the string has something to attach to (see attached pic). Problem here is the string doesn't stay on this screw during re-stringing, it just flies off, and it's very annoying.
    My question is does anyone know how to either repair or replace this tailpiece? The tailpiece cover is in fine shape, and I'd like to keep that. Should I look for a period correct tailpiece, or does Stewmac have something that would work? I really want to get this mandolin into full playing shape, and am not so concerned with originality, etc. I just want a solid replacement that the original cover can slide onto.
    Thanks for any ideas!
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3263613.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	144829  

Default Re: 1920 Gibson A Tailpiece repair or replacement

Put a Wanted add in the classifieds----my advice is to stay with an original rather than a cheap replacement. I have never understood the thinking behind the weird stringing scheme that was used for these original tailpieces. I know a bit about physics but their explanations puzzle me. Folks have tried to explain it to me but I lack the deep appreciation that would make sense of it.

if it were me, i'd cut a notch in it to hold the string and not replace the original one. also, there is absolutely no need to do the bend thing with the a and e strings and use 2 tangs. 'back in the day' those strings didn't come with a factory loop and you had to do your own. the tang at the bend's function was originally to hold the string better, so it wouldn't unwind. doing the bend thing actually increases the chance for those tangs to break off. just go straight.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

Blog Entries

Were it me, I would do one of two things.

a - just put both G strings onto the one remaining G string hook.
    b - figure out some other way to use the 11 remaining hooks to secure 8 strings.

It is doubtful that your authentic Gibson tailpiece cover will fit as nicely on a replacement. I don't know that for a fact but that's what I suspect.

As far as I can tell the 12-hook tailpiece was invented for reasons that no long make much sense. So you actually have 3 more than you need.

Try one of the Prucha replacements from Greg Boyd. It might actually fit the cover.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I still bend them, been doin' it for way too long.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

nah, just do 'em straight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0493.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	144831

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

I merged these two threads together.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

There is a very effective repair technique for these tailpieces. This thread is about a different style of tailpiece, but the repair outlined by Paul Hostetter is basically the same.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ilpiece-repair

11. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

The method outlined in Paul Hostetter's post would work - if you have very steady hands & take great care. However,if the 'make-do' screw & nut work well enough,which i asume they do,then i'd either leave it as it is,or,buy a good quality (Pruscha ?) t/piece to replace it & fit the original cover if possible. About the string ''flying off the nut'' during re-stringing - the string ''hooks'' on my Lebeda t/piece are totally smooth. When i re-string it,i just place a piece of Bluetak over the hook until i've got some tension on the string. I even do the same thing with the fiddly & very small string 'hooks' on my Weber t/piece & it works fine. Come to that, & i even have to use Bluetak on the A & E string 'hooks' on the James t/piece on my Ellis. Even with brand new rubber 'O' rings on the t/piece,closing the t/piece cover doesn't keep them on the hooks,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

What I would do is leave the screw and nut where they are. Get a needle file with a sharp edge (e.g. a triangular one) and file a little groove into each side of the screw, immediately above the nut. When changing strings, use a pair of pliers to pinch the string loop narrower so that it holds in the grooves you have filed. You may even find that it holds on the thread of the screw without filing grooves at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    There is a very effective repair technique for these tailpieces. This thread is about a different style of tailpiece, but the repair outlined by Paul Hostetter is basically the same.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ilpiece-repair
    That's exactly what I would do!

All,
    I've dropped off this Gibson A to my luthier for a re-fret, and I showed him Paul Hostetter's post about fixing the tailpiece base. He's gonna test some things and see if he think it will work. He's a crafty guy so he'll probably come up with something.

Another question I have is unrelated to the tailpiece, but of which size frets to use on this Gibson A? It seems more and more players are using wider frets, .080" wide by .040" tall, as recommended on Paul H.'s site, instead of smaller traditional mandolin frets, .053" wide x .037" tall. I've played both and my playing is maybe a bit cleaner on the larger frets, but I'm not that great a player so hard to tell! At this point, I don't have a formed opinion on this yet. I'm a little worried about the larger frets looking out of place on this old Gibson, and maybe getting too close together past the 12th fret. Anyone have any advice for me on this? Any other unforeseen consequences to going to larger frets on one of these vintage gibsons?
    Thanks again,
    Mike

I had my luthier put larger frets on my '27 A-jr. It's made a world of difference as regards playability. They don't look out of place and aren't too close together at the 12th fret either. If you're not a fan of the small frets (I myself am not) I'd say go for the bigger fret wire.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thanks Jill! I went ahead with the larger frets and have been really enjoying them since I got the mandolin back a couple days ago. They play really well and don't look so out of place. Again, I don't have strong opinions on small vs larger frets, so I figure I'll play these for a while and see if I develop a preference.

The luthier was also able to fix the tailpiece by using the technique outlined in Paul Hostetter's post. See pic attached. I'm excited to finally have this Gibson A in playing shape. The last thing to deal with is a strap and maybe strap button...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	656.3 KB 
ID:	148346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	656.3 KB 
ID:	148346