Thread: Tennessee Waltz

Default Tennessee Waltz

What's the traditional key this tune is played in?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tennessee Waltz

I have played it mostly in D.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

In the jams I have gone to it is usually been played in G but as a vocal song it depends on the singer.

I also play it in D, but I have heard it played in C.

I believe C is the traditional key for it, but folks around here play it in G. They play everything in G.

Blog Entries

Yes I did play it in C once at an open mike with a house band. That is the key the house band knew it in.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Sounds like I need to learn it in multiple keys - thanks everyone!

If you want to learn the ultimate version try this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1cWO_38Bw

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    If you want to learn the ultimate version try this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1cWO_38Bw
    Mr. Jordan Ramsey transcribed this piece a month or so back, and it is posted here

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

I believe Redd Stewart sang it in a on the original recording. If I were to sing it it would have to be in D. I like to play it as part of a medley: Tennessee Waltz in F, Missouri Waltz in D, and Kentucky Waltz in Eb.

I am fairly new to the mandolin but have been working hard at it so I can play some songs in my band. So far doing okay with Ho Hey and now trying to play Tennessee Waltz in the Eva Cassidy version. I am wondering if someone has some advise or links to a mandolin version of her take on the song. I have about 4- 5 dyas to pull it together.
    Thanks in advance
    Br

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I also play it in D, but I have heard it played in C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I believe C is the traditional key for it, but folks around here play it in G. They play everything in G.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Yes I did play it in C once at an open mike with a house band. That is the key the house band knew it in.
    I'm another that's played it in C, the first bands I learned it with played it in C. Sounds good in any key.

i believe the original sheet music was in G.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickid View Post
    I am fairly new to the mandolin but have been working hard at it so I can play some songs in my band. ... trying to play Tennessee Waltz in the Eva Cassidy version. I am wondering if someone has some advise or links to a mandolin version of her take on the song. I have about 4- 5 dyas to pull it together.
    Not sure about Eva Cassidy version, but there are a bunch of really nice sweet-sounding mandolin versions (and tenor guitar etc) over at the MandolinCafe Song-a-Week (Week 157), definitely worth a listen to all the videos there if you're looking for inspiration as to how to approach the song on mandolin.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

why not listen to the Monroe version?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    why not listen to the Monroe version?
    Good suggestion, but don't know if Stickid's band plays bluegrass, might be a different style/genre of band, they might be aiming for a different type of sound. ??? Lots of variables...

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Good suggestion, but don't know if Stickid's band plays bluegrass, might be a different style/genre of band, they might be aiming for a different type of sound. ??? Lots of variables...
    Oh, for sure, but it would get you started. Stickid might reject it altogether, but if you're after mandolin parts, it's a good place to start. But you're not wrong there.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Thanks for all the responses.. yes the band is a classic rock dance band and we are doing a wedding where they requested this song. We also do Ho Hey and I play mandolin on that one. I am actually the drummer and that is my original instrument. I started messing around with fiddle because I also grew up playing in bands with fiddle and we did a lot of old time, jigs etc.
    I love bluegrass but am not quite up to that yet although I try. i got the mandolin because it is so close to fiddle but has frets and I thought it would only help with the fiddle. The reason for the Eva Cassidy version is that is the key our singer wants to do it in and she really liked that version.
    I will definitely go look at the videos and also find the Bill Monroe version, you're right, I can't go wrong with anything of his. I also like Sierra Hull,Chris Thile and the Dawg. There are so many good players and a lot of good stuff on this forum. Thanks again to all.

19. The following members say thank you to Stickid for this post: