Thread: Looking for a new Mandolin.

Default Looking for a new Mandolin.

I'm looking for a new mando to replace an old knackered Romanian one. Looking for something suited for Scottish/celtic folk and possible modern Church worship stuff. Prob A style, oval/round hole. Been looking at the Ashbury AM-130. Any thoughts on that or alternatives. Cheers!

Default Re: Looking for a new Mandolin.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...bury-mandolins

Around here in that price range people will recommend mostly Eastman, Kentucky, and 'The' Loar. They all make A-oval models AFAIK.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

John:

Welcome to the greatest website in the world. I would recommend looking closely at Mid Missouri, also called Big Muddy after a name change. These come up frequently in the Classifieds here for a great price. USA made and would suite your needs well. Also, it'd be hard to go wrong with any decent A-style f-hole mandolin: it's a very versatile design. I play a Collings MT myself and love it. Keep us posted on what you find.

Cheers guys. I settled with an Ashbury E style. Plays very nicely, lovely gentle sound with great volume. Happy I spent a we bit more to get a nicer instrument.

Hint: use of the adjective "knackered," and mention of Ashbury mandolins, suggests UK residence, where Big Muddy, and commonly-found-in the-US Asian brands (Kentucky, Eastman, Loar etc.) might be a bit harder to come by. Ashbury is a brand strongly advertised by Hobgoblin, a major British chain of music stores; don't know if it's a "house brand," or just one that Hobgoblin stocks in great variety.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM