Thread: Looking at a used Kentucky KM-805 for $550

Default Looking at a used Kentucky KM-805 for $550

I'm new to mandolin -- just rented a Kentucky KM-505 a month ago and have been playing like crazy. From reading these forums, I am developing a lust for a Colings MT. But, you know, it's only been a month and I could keep renting for a while to really see if my interest merits a Collings.

But now along comes the possibility of buying a very lightly, or maybe even not really at all, used Kentucky KM-805 F style mandolin from a local seller. I really like the 505 I've been playing, and have thought about just buying that. But the 805 retails for closer to $1000, and here I could get it for the same as the 505.

I haven't turned up a whole lot about the 805 from my forum searches, so any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Default Re: Looking at a used Kentucky KM-805 for $550

Kentucky KM-805 is popular and if you can buy it for $550, I'd go for it! That is a good deal! Especially if it is local and you can play before you buy.
    The model has been discontinued, but you can still buy it from a few retailers.
    Read this:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...s-Expectations

Buy it and enjoy it!
    Al

Blog Entries

The KM-805's are usually very nice... can hardly go wrong at $550.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Send a PM to lflngpicker, he just bought one new and is over the moon with it.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Mangio For This Useful Post:

I think I saw the 805 you are looking at and it looked very nice in the pics. If you are able to play it I would suggest taking the 505 and playing both side by side. The new 505 are supposed to be made in the same shop as Kentucky's master models and supposed to be really good.
    Last edited by Northwest Steve; Feb-08-2016 at 10:38am.

Blog Entries

I agree with Steve about the KM505. The more I hear about these A5 mandolins the more I would like to have one.

Regarding the KM805, I have long admired this particular Kentucky F5 model. The block enlays give it the look of the Sam Bush Gibson. I love the look of flash (my fellow guitar players make fun of me for liking gold hardware). Notwithstanding the recent thread about the quality of Kentucky versus Gibson mandolins (How can you beat a Gibson?-- you can't!), I think that this particular model in very good or excellent condition, is worth a good $750 or more. The street price is from $975 to $1200. It is a wonderful instrument for that price and $550 is a great deal. The one I just bought has great sound and the action is amazing. I paid $700 for a mint version with a new guardian case. I can't put it down. I have owned an MT and an F-9, so I know what a good mandolin sounds and plays like. This is not on that level, but is surprisingly the most comfortable to play of the three and has a good enough tone and volume to soften the loss of those to get a needed Gibson guitar.

Due to large hands, I have a particular taste in neck and fretboard combinations: this one has a soft V, rounded neck with a wide fretboard. The nut width is 1-1/8" which is on the wider side in the F5 world, as far as my knowledge goes. Though radiused, it feels flat and roomy for chop chords. The low action is quite comfortable for hour-long practice sessions. I added a top mounted pickup (which comes off) yesterday and enjoyed playing it in the church band yesterday. It sounded very nice through an LR Baggs DI box and a Fender Acoustasonic 30 amp.

If the one you are considering is structurally sound and has good hardware, bridge, etc., it is worth that price.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

8. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

gtani7 

Thank for the feedback everyone. I went ahead and bought the 805. I love those inlays/enlays (?) It seems to be in great shape to me, except that it needs new strings (guess I need to learn to learn to replace strings now! Hello, youtube!) I think it may also need a new bridge -- the grooves are pretty deep. Can't seem to get a picture to upload to show it...

10. The following members say thank you to johngdon for this post:

Blog Entries

Johngdon, I am so glad to hear that you bought the KM805. I was playing mine this morning-- picking along with my Bill Monroe CD's. It is perfect for that and so fast and comfortable. You will love the appearance, too. The sound is surprisingly strong, rich and warm. And I have played Martin, Guild, Gibson and Taylor guitars all my life. My original mandolin, Gibson A oval, which we have had for 34 years, is a great sounding instrument, so I know what I am listening for. The price is only relative-- these are excellent mandolins! Congratulations!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KM805 headstock.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	143463
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"