Thread: 2011 J.Bovier F5V-AV-S or 2014 Kentucky KM-1050?

Default 2011 J.Bovier F5V-AV-S or 2014 Kentucky KM-1050?

Found someone selling 2 lightly used mandolins and I'm interested, but can only afford 1. I'd love to pick them both up at the price they are asking, but don't have the money. Unfortunately, not going to be able to play them since seller is too far away and I'll have to have it shipped.
    Same asking price for either. I've never played either model, so I'm not sure which way to go. Price is very good though.
    Seller says he bought the JBovier F5V new in 2011. Not sure if that means it was made in 2011, or earlier. From what I recall, the JBovier Vine was made earlier than that but I'm not seeing any info on it at the JBovier website.
    Kentucky KM-1050 was bought new in 2014.

Specs are pretty similar. Both are solid carved spruce top, and solid carved maple back and sides. Both have ebony radiused fretboard & saddle, and large size frets.

JBovier has nicer inlay, cast tailpiece, and satin finish.
    Kentucky has simpler inlay, stamped tailpiece, and gloss finish.

I know that the Kentuckys are often suggested here for excellent value. And I know that the JBoviers are also seen that way. I just don't know enough about these models to know which I should go for. I'm sure either one will be good, especially at the price. Not sure about setup, but I'm good with tools and Rob Meldrum's setup instructions, so I'm not worried there.

I'm leaning towards the Kentucky, but thought I would ask here before I buy.

These are the stock photos of each one (Not posting the seller's photos since I'm trying to keep this deal to myself until I decide on one)
    JBovier:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71lHh1nB1sL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	143409

Kentucky:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61aCFCnqiQL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	143410

Thanks for your input!
    Al

PS- I'll post the remaining one in the proper forum section once I've pulled the trigger on one.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Feb-06-2016 at 10:37pm.

Default Re: 2011 J.Bovier F5V-AV-S or 2014 Kentucky KM-1050?

Well, thanks for looking. Heard from the seller, someone just bought the JBovier, so I'm going with the Kentucky. That was easy.

Guess keeping it to yourself didn't work well. It usually doesn't.

I was going to suggest the Kentucky anyway though.

Does this assauage the desire for a Breedlove?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Does this assauage the desire for a Breedlove?
    Price was too good to pass up! Not sure about the Breedlove. I'll see how the Kentucky sounds and plays, and then let you know.

From all of your posts it does not look like you have played any Kentucky master models. If the 1050 is a good one you may change you mind on Eastman's. Eastman's can be good but those Kentucky's can be great. I have a 1050. Just an FYI but if that 1050 has not been played much it may take some playing to wake up.

6. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    From all of your posts it does not look like you have played any Kentucky master models. If the 1050 is a good one you may change you mind on Eastman's. Eastman's can be good but those Kentucky's can be great. I have a 1050. Just an FYI but if that 1050 has not been played much it may take some playing to wake up.
    I have not played any of the Kentucky Master models. I have a Kentucky KM-675 that I bought for $350 and it is good for the money, but it is nowhere near as good as the Eastman MD-505 that I bought for the same price. The Kentucky has a much thinner sound and palyability is nowhere near as good, even after proper setup. The MD-505 has a fantastic woody tone and excellent bass. Good on the high end too. My Eastman MD-805D is also a fantastic instrument. Voiced totally differently than the MD-505. More even across all 4 courses and really rings out cleanly. Perfect for jazz lead. The neck profile is a bit thicker and sharper than the MD-505, so it isn't quite as comfortable to play, but I think more of that is just being used to the neck of the MD-505 because I've been playing it for much longer.
    I have not had the opportunity to play an Eastman MD-815v, but I hear that it is the best mandolin that they make. I'd like to try one out. In the meantime, this deal on the Kentucky KM-1050 came up and was just too good a deal to pass up. I bought the Eastman MD-805D for $800 and I thought that was a fantastic deal at about 1/2 the price it originally sold for. I'm picking up this Kentucky KM-1050 for $500! Less than 1/3 of what it sells for new. So, regardless of it "beats" my Eastmans or not, I'm pretty excited for it! Frankly, I'm not that interested in ranking mandolins, but in having several with different voices that lend themselves to different styles of music that I play, or want to play. Should be here by tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back once I've set it up and put new strings on.
    Thanks!
    Al

It will be3 different that you Eastman for sure. If that 1050 is in good shape, that was a steal of a deal.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northwest Steve For This Useful Post:

That is an absolutely incredible steal! Congrats. Enjoy
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

11. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Estate sale. Guessing they did not know the value, or perhaps they were just trying to sell items quickly. Seller said it was "lightly used" whatever that means. We'll see tomorrow.

That was a good score. Congrats. I would have advised you to lean toward the Kentucky anyway.

14. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Blog Entries

Though the J Bovier would be a great buy, since it isn't available, the Kentucky is a master model with a radiused fretboard. You will be very happy! Congratulations.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

The Kentucky KM-1050 did not disappoint! Very well made and well setup! Just had to adjust the bridge position a bit and file down the bridge posts. I like the saddle as low as I can get it without buzzing. That left the bridge posts a bit proud of the saddle top.
    Nice mandolin! Thanks!

17. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post: