Thread: Summit Mandolins

Hey all, I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions about Summit mandolins. I've been to their web site and know a little of the history. I am looking at an A-model at a local shop and have played it quite a bit. The more I play it, the better sounding it gets. What are your thoughts?

I purchased a new F100, X braced and gloss Lacquer finish about 2 months ago. I love it. I was playing a Kentucky A style that I started on about a year ago and prior to that I had never played any kind of instrument. I was able to compare the Summit to a Lebeda Standard F and some lower end MK's. Very fine construction and attention to detail by Mr. Schneider. IMO I don't think you can go wrong with a Summit (A or F) based on my limited experience. I think the sound gets better the more time I put into it.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Mr. Schneider (I think it's Paul) worked at Flatiron during the pre-Gibson Carlson era. I think he would be a fine builder, but have never played one of the Summit mandolins. I really do believe that he worked on my 1983 Flatiron A5-1.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I have a F100 Custom built in '01 that is a hoss(IMHO). I enjoy playing it every day and it just keeps sounding better. I think that he (Paul) does a good job and you would be pleased. I've played many different makes and models over the years and the Summit is up there with some of the best, again my opinion. With over 4 years + of hard playing, no problems and better sounding, that speaks for itself.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

I have been saving for a summit for a while. I have had the opportunity to play several and they have all been great. I have also been to Paul's shop and seen the process. He is very dedicated to what he does. I am getting an F200 with radiused freboard, when I get all the dough to do it. That is another plus, very affordable for a small builder.

I purchased a Summitt F100-S from Mass Street a couple months ago and have been quite satisfied with the mando. #I was wanting to upgrade from an import F to a quality American made F. #I tried Webers which didn't quite have the sound and fret board feel I was looking for. Also played the Gibson F-9/A-9 mandos which had good sound but I wanted a better finish. The next level of Gibsons would cost more than I wanted to pay at this time. The F100-S purchased has very good tone, wood and finish for the money. #The mando continues to open up and I can't wait to hear it it in a year or two. #Also want to throw a bone towards Mass Street for great customer service and advice.
    Dave

Paul, I believe, builds most if not all of his with x-bracing and some people do not like that. He also uses a bolt type neck joint which some people are against. All in all the proof is in the pudding. If it sounds good to you and what your looking for enjoy it. Sounds like the above posts are folks who like what they have and have shopped around. Let us know if you get one.

Default Re: Summit Mandolins

I found this old thread and as a Summit player am interested to know more about the "bolt type neck joint" referenced by Kevin. I recently took my mando to get a fret dress and setup by a well-respected luthier in the Nashville area (Paul Schneider just lives too far away to have him do it) and he sort of sniffed at this type of joint. I understand and have seen pics of how a traditional dovetail joint works, but what about this type?

I'm very happy with the tone and all of my mandolin, just curious about the construction details.

Well I can't let what he does out but was assured the neck joint he uses is very strong.
    I too am very happy with my Summit and get many compliments from the sound and believe the neck joint will be the last place I'll have a problem if any.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

The mortise and tenor neck joint is not a "bolt-on" neck joint. If you remove the bolt, the neck won't come off (i.e., like it would in an electric guitar for example). A mortise and tenon neck joint is held together with glue; however the "bolt" acts as an internal clamp. The use of a dovetail neck joint is more traditional. The use of a M&T neck joint is more recent and it appears to be easier for the acheived result (i.e., a properly connected neck joint).

I'd be more concerned about the "well-respected" luthier that snubs your mandolin and how it's constructed. Sounds like some arrogant bas. . .d!

I have come to grips with my mandolin and all its flaws - still like it though. Bolt, no scroll, etc. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Would he use a mortise and alto joint on a mandola?

Ditto on Kevin K's comments. I can't say very much about the construction, I've been too busy playing it! I own an Artist model purchased in Nashville about 3 years ago. I've found no problems and, with direction on care from Paul Schneider, the instrument looks great and plays excellently. I've played next to some very powerful instruments and the Summit holds its own. I've yet to play an instument that matches the projection and sustain of this mandolin. Good luck on your puchase.

I found a little more info and a pic of the M+T joint on the Weber site here. I reckon it makes sense that Paul uses this type of joint since he previously worked at Flatiron, which later became Weber (right?). My understanding is that Flatirons also used this type of joint. Again, I'm just curious about all this, it's obviously a good construction method, though not "traditional" in terms of Loar design.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    Well I can't let what he does out but was assured the neck joint he uses is very strong.
    I too am very happy with my Summit and get many compliments from the sound and believe the neck joint will be the last place I'll have a problem if any.
    I've heard Kevin's Summit and I can assure you...it is right there with the best of the best! If I wasn't mandolin poor...I'd like to own a Summit myself!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

i have bought and sold several over the years,they are very good mandolins for the money!!
    Danny
    Danny Clark

I have never heard of Summit before I stopped in Gryphon Strings while on vacation. The other mandolins on the wall sounded good, but that Summit sounded great. Great volume, tone and sustain. I've not played another one, but if they all sound like that, I will always keep an eye out for one.
    Sheryl --- Me

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by H.P. View Post
    Would he use a mortise and alto joint on a mandola?
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff