Thread: Strings for Mando Banjo tuned down an octave

Default Strings for Mando Banjo tuned down an octave

I saw on YouTube someone who tuned his mandolin banjo down an octave. It sounded good. Has anyone tried this and if so, what strings? I didn't get an answer from the person who posted on YouTube.

Default Re: Strings for Mando Banjo tuned down an octave

I've never heard of that but it sounds amazing. I've only played a mando-banjo once and I wasn't too impressed with that particular build. I think it was a goldtone. I can definitely see the appeal of having an octave mando-banjo. possibly even one designed with the intention of having it tuned down an octave, bigger body, longer scale length etc.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question :P

Goldtone actually makes the larger version. It sounds better IMHO than their mando banjo. I've heard a number of mando banjos on YouTube. Some sound tinny. I have two that I really like: a Gibson JR and a Vega Little Wonder. I found that ultra light strings are best on them. The heavier strings are dull. If the goal is to tone down the instrument, I think stuffing padding behind the skin is the way to go.

Back in the 70's I worked at a music store that carried Deering banjos, and one of the guys ordered a long neck banjo that was tuned down - a fifth, I think. Sounded awesome, and actually had quite long sustain for a banjo.

I think the larger instruments tend to have greater sustain. I had an octave mando for awhile. Beautiful sound and sustain, but the fret spacing was larger than I wanted to deal with (still learning the mando).

I also Have a Mandola, H scale .4M or 15 3/4" its not so much more of a reach
    to me from Mandolin 13 7/8" scale.

On a Mandolin scale the string for low C is pretty Fat . thats just a 4th lower
    CGDA are 5ths going Up .. Viola pitches.

Trying a 15" scale 5 string electric in GDAEB and the low G is pretty Floppy feel/sounding .

probably go back to AEBF#C#.. and lighter strings..

other than the long reach. (if Octave mandolin reach was too much, maybe not)

Gold Tone's Cello Banjo may do what you want .. Lower Tones..

https://www.goldtone.com/product/ceb-4/

Probably should just stick to learning the mandolin as it is for Now.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by LazyRiver View Post
    I saw on YouTube someone who tuned his mandolin banjo down an octave. It sounded good. Has anyone tried this and if so, what strings? I didn't get an answer from the person who posted on YouTube.
    Could you link the video?
    Thanks!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

A musician named Paul Roberts has several YouTube vids playing the Gold Tone "Octajo," which is an eight-string banjo tuned GDAE. A quick search will find these.

What LazyRiver may be looking for, is another YouTube vid of a Stromberg-Voisinet mandolin-banjo strung with four nylon strings, and tuned GDAE like an octave mandolin. I think this is it:

The YouTube description also gives the strings that he uses.

Note a couple of characteristics: that's an unusually large body for a mandolin-banjo -- looks like nearly the "standard" 11-inch banjo diameter -- it has no resonator, and there's a cloth or something stuffed between the dowel stick and the head, to mute the tone somewhat.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I can't remember where I saw the video other than it was somewhere on YouTube. I don't think the one above is it. Probably doesn't matter much. I do like my standard tuned mandolin banjos, especially now that I have them properly set up and in tune. It makes a huge difference, and they don't need the extra padding. The MBs seem to have come with a range of different head sizes - everything from 6" to 11". Some with resonators and some open back. Mine are open back, 9" and 10" pots.