Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roland Mobile Cube for Portable Amp

Default Re: Roland Mobile Cube for Portable Amp

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Ironically, after starting this thread, I have decided I need something a bit beefier for busking. I have purchased a Peavey Solo PA-- heavy duty 8" speaker, mic and instrument inputs, 15 watts and 8 D batteries or AC adaptor. This is the best I could find for small, portable, battery powered and able to provide some volume and also bass range.
    I tried one of those late last year. IMHO the street cube was way better with lighter weight, some built in effects, more than just a single speaker, pole mount, etc. I particularly didn't like the way a SM58 sounded through it for vocals. It did have lots of volume, but didn't sound as good as the Rolands I tried. What did you like better about the Peavey?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Roland Mobile Cube for Portable Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I tried one of those late last year. IMHO the street cube was way better with lighter weight, some built in effects, more than just a single speaker, pole mount, etc. I particularly didn't like the way a SM58 sounded through it for vocals. It did have lots of volume, but didn't sound as good as the Rolands I tried. What did you like better about the Peavey?
    Hi Mandobart, The Peavey has more headroom and thus I can run it at higher volumes. It is quite a bit heavier-- about 12 pounds with the 8 D batteries in it. The heavy duty full range speaker is 8" (Blue Marvel) and it sounds like a small PA. The best I have had was the Fishman Mini acoustic amp, but it blew a circuit and it requires an AC plug. I need this for patios at nursing homes and sidewalk busking. I am sure the Roland Cube Street is the superior one, but I haven't had the chance to try one. I had the Mobile Cube and a Micro cube. I love the micro Cube and I think I would need two-- one for the guitar/madolin and one for vocals. The Peavey has 3 inputs-- two High Z and one Low Z (XLR). Self contained and needs no power source. Even sounds bluesy with a hollow body electric. Very acoustic with my Morris containing the K and K mini pickup. The other plus-- I bought it mint and used, including shipping, for $85.

BTW-- Have you tried the Street cube or the Crate Taxi? Too rich for my blood. Thanks Mandobart!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

Might be worth mentioning, Roland now calls these the CUBE Street and the CUBE Street EX with a logo change.

The CUBE Street is equivalent to what I was referring to as the older 5w, AAx6 (15+ hour) "Street Cube", which is what I have (twins).

Sounds like the EX model has a max 50w output with a switch option for 25w and 10w (for better AAx8 battery life) and the pole mount. I haven't heard the EX model, nor do I really know much about its other features, but a 50w output sounds at least interesting (albeit with only 4 expected hours of AAx8 battery life).

-- Don

4. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Yes the one I tried was the CUBE Street EX. Also the Peavey solo I tried must have been an older model as it had no High Z inputs - just one 1/4" and one XLR. No crates around me - I think they discontinued the Taxi.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Blog Entries

Hmmm, and I just noticed the apparent list price of the Cube Street EX is $499, compared to the standard Cube Street at $299.

I had been thinking that the next Cube Street I get would be an EX, but at that price, I'm more likely to just get the standard Cube Street. I use my current two Cube Street units for convenience because they are light and simple to setup and operate, including the fact that they are battery powered. I still might get another of the standard Cube Streets just to support more mics for our band.

At the price of the EX, as good as it may be with 50w, it's just not as easy for me to rationalize... If I want more wattage than the standard Cube Streets, I'll go with AC power and use one or both of our nearly new 500w speakers (which were around $600 for both of them together) with or without our mixer combination.

Convenience is worth something, yes, but for me the EX is a little too pricey -- unless I can find it at a discount somewhere. I may drool for a while though.

-- Don

8. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Blog Entries

Hey Mandobart-- Yes, I get that. I happen to have a very nice used Crate Vintage Club 20 (tube power 3 12AX7 and 2 EL84's) which is a poor man's Peavey Classic 30, especially since I got it used. It is better than I would have expected and I have become attached.

Hi Dhergert, I appreciate the clarification of the name changes in the new versions of the Cube amps.

Both of ya-- I like the idea of the Cube Street, but the EX does seem like too much for a battery powered portable job. I play alone or in a duo half the time, so I need nothing more than the Peavy Solo. Doesn't meet all expectations, to be sure, but to provide a boost of volume, while remaining a bit quite to draw a big crowd , I think she'll do. Very durable for my money. Thanks guys!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

FWIW, I have a Mobil Cube as well as a Micro Cube and absolutely love both. The Mobil Cube will fit in luggage a bit easier than the Micro. I often do a bit of playing in local parks and such and the Mobil Cube is perfect for carrying. Also, I'm amazed at the sound and volume that comes from that lil devil. The effects are a great addition as well. It was worth every penny I spent on it.

11. The following members say thank you to Kenny A for this post:

Blog Entries

Those Mobile Cubes, sound great, Kenny. I agree. You have just the right item for the use you are describing, IMHO. Thanks for your response. I haven't had a chance to get out and try this Peavey Solo in a street or park setting as I intended for it. I hope to very soon. Take care!
    2014 BRW F5 #114