Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down & Dirty Neck Reset on National Supro Collegian Resonator

Default Re: Down & Dirty Neck Reset on National Supro Collegian Resonator

Removed binding. Top off. What should I use as a strut?
    [IMG]National Supro by kennyz55, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Bx89Yo]
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

This is a good opportunity to replace the damaged linings with new material. Carbon fiber tubes, bars, rods etc. are available from ACP, and Goodwinds. I have used spruce for doing this in a mandolin (non resonator) with a collapsing top.

A strut would need to fit as closely under the resonator cone as you can manage, and as high on the neck block as you can put it, as it would be loaded with a compression force to keep the structure from trying to collapse.

What would you use to replace the lining? Thanks to everyone for the great information and help. What an incredible community .
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
    This is a good opportunity to replace the damaged linings with new material. Carbon fiber tubes, bars, rods etc. are available from ACP, and Goodwinds. I have used spruce for doing this in a mandolin (non resonator) with a collapsing top.

A strut would need to fit as closely under the resonator cone as you can manage, and as high on the neck block as you can put it, as it would be loaded with a compression force to keep the structure from trying to collapse.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Use kerfed lining, just like the stuff in there now, but new and nicer. LMII (Luthier's Mercantile) and StewMac offer it.

Duplicate message.
    Last edited by Kennyz55; Dec-02-2015 at 8:07am.
    ~Carlos Castaneda

I meant the sound well and top material. Thanks, I have plenty of kerfing. The well is soft and falling apart. It looks like basswood and the top looks like a thin piecs of birch plywood but not sure that was even arounf in the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz55 View Post
    Removed binding. Top off. What should I use as a strut? I meant the sound well and top material. Thanks, I have plenty of kerfing. The well is soft and falling apart. It looks like basswood and the top looks like a thin piecs of birch plywood but not sure that was even arounf in the 1930s.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Bx89Yo]
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Taking off the back and restarting this project for the spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5019.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	146127

Name:	IMG_5020.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	464.0 KB 
ID:	146128
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Finally started again.

Name:	IMG_5539.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	148944

Name:	IMG_5541.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	148945
    I should be finished by my 90th birthday. LOL
    ~Carlos Castaneda