Thread: Breedlove Quartz OF - Fair Price?

Default Breedlove Quartz OF - Fair Price?

First post but a reader going back quite a few years. I have a question that I could use some feedback on from you all. I'm looking at a late 2000s Breedlove Quartz OF. I haven't seen, heard or played it yet. It appears to be in very good condition generally - it has a couple of small dings on the top. It is being sold in the original case.

I have searched here and various other selling venues for value and am not getting anything very concrete (which is not a big shock). Assuming it doesn't need major work or repairs, what sort of price do you all think is reasonable? The seller is asking for about $1k. EvilBay shows sold Breedloves that appear to be comparable going for $100-200 more. Your input is appreciated.

Default Re: Breedlove Quartz OF - Fair Price?

Here's on Boston CraigsList for $950; could this be the one you're considering? Reverb has this one for $995.

This one apparently sold for $800. Bernunzio's here in Rochester wants $950 for this one.

It would seem that $1K is right around what dealers are getting for them, and also what some are asking in private sales. Private sales should be a bit lower than dealer prices, since there are no overhead, paid staff, advertising considerations. However, the damn internet means that private sellers are well aware what dealers are asking, and can set their prices accordingly.

So not a bargain, not a rip-off either, as far as a bit of Google research implies.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Allen - thank you very much. The Boston CL listing is the one I'm primarily interested in, although I'd seen the Reverb listing and it's not far away, either. I hadn't seen the Nashua River one, which (oddly!) is more or less local, too.

5. The following members say thank you to jnewell for this post:

I owned a 2006 OF for several years and during that time I saw them a few times on Craigslist or eBay for around $800-$850 used. I bought mine for $1000 new.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

7. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

I have one I paid less than $500 for. It's a 2003 in near mint condition and it sounds great. I also saw one on ebay sell for $450. I think both were steals. I wouldn't sell mine near that cheap!!
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

9. The following members say thank you to Mickey King for this post:

Never mind.
    Skip Kelley F5-BRW Adi/Brazilian rosewood with Virzi

11. The following members say thank you to billy_v for this post:

jnewell,

You should be able to beat that price handily. I sold my 2009 OF in excellent condition (no dings) earlier this year for $695. I had it up for sale last year at $700 but only received low ball offers, so I kept it another year. Good luck.

13. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

In the secondary market, $700. Dealer price more (they have it).

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

15. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Seems to me Breedloves just don't hold their value as much as other makes. I offered my beautiful perfect condition custom FO in natural (black top binding) in the classifieds recently for 1000. No takers and only very mild interest (grand total of one inquiry. He wanted me to go down more in price). How can an OO sell for close to 1000 when an instrument like mine (1700 original street price) can't sell for 1000? That is close to their price new (999 street price).

The announcement that Breedlove will cease making mandolins in the USA doesn't seem to have enhanced the market for used ones, as people predicted. In fact it seems the opposite. A whole lot of used Breedloves for sale out there and not many takers.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

17. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I just sold my Breedlove Quartz KF for $1150. It had some sweet add ons like Allen TR2 cast tailpiece, piezo pickup, & McClung arm rest, so that probably helped a lot. Those upgrades were about $230ish.
    So they sell, but they are a niche instrument, much more than your average F model mando.

19. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Here's your new mandolin:
    https://reverb.com/item/1326224-bree...tural-mandolin

Breedlove Quartz OF $675 + $59.99 Shipping

21. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Well someone picked it up. Hope it was the OP!

23. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Well someone picked it up. Hope it was the OP!
    Thanks very much to all! I'm sort of on the fence on more fundamental questions and didn't move fast enough to grab that Breedlove at $675, but that's ok. It's actually a lot of fun to think about things (A or F? F or O? Maker? - etc.), so I'm having fun turning things over in my mind and am planning to do a little playing at local shops this weekend.

Any feedback on either The Music Emporium or Johnson String Instruments (Boston area shops) for mandolins? I have experience with TME for guitars going back many years but setting up a mandolin seems like a different sort of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
    ...Any feedback on either The Music Emporium or Johnson String Instruments (Boston area shops) for mandolins? I have experience with TME for guitars going back many years but setting up a mandolin seems like a different sort of skill.
    I've had some dealings with Music Emporium, both with Stu Cohen and with Jim Bollman when he used to be affiliated. Honest, reliable people, pricing tends to be high-market, and also a place where you can sometimes find unusual high-quality vintage instruments.

However, you're not necessarily looking for that kind of thing; you seem to want a decent mid-price mandolin. The Emporium tends to run to the pricier varieties, but they do have some mid-range from time to time. On the mandolin page of their website, all they list now under $1K are a couple of Eastman instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Yes on TME and the Eastmans. I'm planning to go over there Friday to see what I can hear!