Thread: Sam Bush Monels on my F-9

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Sam Bush Monels on my F-9

I have restrung my Gibson F-9 with Monel Gibson Sam Bush signature strings. Just the right amount of beefy tone, great richness and clarity on tremolo, and a strong chop! I have found the right combination between the tone woods of this mandolin and these steel wound strings. I expect that they will last longer and hold their tone, as well. I want to recommend them, if anyone has been considering giving them a try.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Default Re: Sam Bush Monels on my F-9

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I expect that they will last longer and hold their tone, as well. I want to recommend them, if anyone has been considering giving them a try.
    I am very glad to learn that you like the sound of the Monel strings. It's always gratifying to make a new discovery that makes your own instrument sound better. But writing that "I expect that they will last longer and hold their tone, as well" is more of a statement about wishful thinking than about actual experience. In fact, you have no experience! Not yet, anyway. You might consider waiting a bit longer before tendering such thoughts, and then write a review for us in a month or two.

Anyway, "last longer" than WHAT, I'd ask?! It all depends on the comparisons you make. Most of the newer coated strings, like the D'Addario EXP-74s, last significantly longer than their uncoated equivalents, the EJ-74s (formerly J-74s), and they also hold their tone much longer, in my own experience. And some of the strings with coatings made from exotic alloys, like the (very costly, at ~$50 per set!) Thomastik flatwound steel or chrome strings, are also reputed to last for a very long time (years, in fact). Not sure I believe that.

The Monel market is pretty small, and for good reason. Some folks love 'em, but most folks don't. YMMV, as they say. I wonder if Sammy Bush still uses them himself, or just endorses them?

3. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Monel strings do hold their tone longer than bronze or phos bronze in fact I don't thing they ever " go dead" like some, they just get where you can't tune them. Some mandolins like them and some don't but they sound great on the mandolins that do.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

There is a strange assertion going on here.

According to one of a semirecent press release, "they don't change the timbre of the instrument. The compound, nickel-based alloy mellows very quickly to allow the natural, woody sounds of the guitar to pour from the sound hole, unaltered, from the very first strum."

In other words, they don't suffer from the brightness of bronze and phosphor bronze strings. Since the brightness disappears fast, the dead sound is considered the norm.

If not having brightness is the target, then once *any* string "mellows," it should last a long time.

Monel just happens to lose that brightness faster than everything else.

----

There have been numerous discussions here on the Café about how flat wound strings help muffle balance issues on instruments. They don't really tame the instrument, but just kill the frequencies which are problematic for such instruments. Problem solved!

I happen to like brighter strings, and PB lasts longer than bronze for such things. Coated strings deaden the high frequencies, but maintain the brightness they do possess longer than uncoated strings. I use coated PB strings on carbon fiber instruments, since their pure crystalline high range can be rolled off slightly without being too noticeable.

If dampened high end is one's preference, these Monel strings will certainly achieve that.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I used them, then the composition seemed to change: and I didn't like the last set I put on...

THey do seem to last longer, and keep that ... ringing tone a bit more

Anyway... I put on the Gallitin silver ones, which are nice, but don't give me the bluegrass 'chop' in the way that others do. Will be trying D'Addarios J-75s soon, and then the Monroe's, and see what I settle on.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

9. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

I use them and like them on my F-5G. My body chemistry tends to kill strings, and the monel strings resist that degradation much better than regular strings. I really like they way they sound and feel on this mandolin.

I also have a '21 A2 and that mandolin doesn't really like monels, it seems to like J-74s or similar strings.

I have tried coated strings on the F-5G, but they are more expensive and don't seem to perform any better to me than the monels.

As always, YMMV.
    Clark Beavans

11. The following members say thank you to tree for this post:

What about D'Addario Mandolin Stainless Steel Medium, EJS74?

At last years Mandomania, Sam said he was no longer playing Gibsons, but D'Addario's, though he did not name which ones. Would this be the closest to monel that D'Addario offers? Anybody tried them?
    Russ Jordan

13. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Monel is corrosion resistant , only the core steel wire will rust.

Nickel windings of other alloys also are helpful .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel

Gibson sold Monel Mona Steel. strings when I was a child, and Im 5 years Older than Sam Bush.
    before they applied his name They were the G 161 ML both are the same strings .
    that is what my packet card has on them not Sammy's name .
    I got 6 sets 7 years ago.

I have a set of Nickel wound Nutones on my Djangolin , I only replace the E's when they Break ,
    they've been bright on that mandolin for Many Years..

The British strings plain wire loop formation does tend to slip so I may stick them in the case
    with my old Gibby with the 12 hooks tailpiece, that were put there as the solution for the slipping loop winding.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

15. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    I am very glad to learn that you like the sound of the Monel strings. It's always gratifying to make a new discovery that makes your own instrument sound better. But writing that "I expect that they will last longer and hold their tone, as well" is more of a statement about wishful thinking than about actual experience. In fact, you have no experience! Not yet, anyway. You might consider waiting a bit longer before tendering such thoughts, and then write a review for us in a month or two.

Anyway, "last longer" than WHAT, I'd ask?! It all depends on the comparisons you make. Most of the newer coated strings, like the D'Addario EXP-74s, last significantly longer than their uncoated equivalents, the EJ-74s (formerly J-74s), and they also hold their tone much longer, in my own experience. And some of the strings with coatings made from exotic alloys, like the (very costly, at ~$50 per set!) Thomastik flatwound steel or chrome strings, are also reputed to last for a very long time (years, in fact). Not sure I believe that.

The Monel market is pretty small, and for good reason. Some folks love 'em, but most folks don't. YMMV, as they say. I wonder if Sammy Bush still uses them himself, or just endorses them?
    Very interesting and I appreciate the thoughts and feedback. Yes, I did speak prematurely. I was just so enjoying them for hours yesterday that I wanted to share my happiness. I didn't mean to mix that jubilation with a review. I will repost in this thread in a few weeks. I do indeed love the D'Addario EXP Phos. Bronze as I have a mandolin strung with them and love the tone. I have used EXP's on my guitars for years and have the expertise to endorse those, indeed. I love a medium/light Martin bronze string on my Morris A4. So far, these Monels are a wonderful partner for my Gibson F-9. Thank you, thank you!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

17. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Blog Entries

Russ, I had the D'Addario Stainless Steel medium gauge strings on this same Gibson. The sound virtually the same and have a beefier mid-range because the D and A are a tick larger in dia. I liked them, so I thought, "Why not try the Monels with a bit of lessening of the tension in the middle courses in favor of a bigger G bass and high E?" I have always been a Phosphor Bronze fan since the Guild strings that came on my D55 in the 1970's were some of the earlier PB. I stuck with them all these years and have frequently re-strunge with the J74 Ricky Skaggs set on my mandolins-- those are my clear favorites. My interest is in experimenting with several strings over the next few months to see where I land. That may be in suspension if I keep enjoying these Monels! Sam Bush, where are you now and would you please comment on your signature strings?!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I have been playing with SB strings on my Flatiron A5-2 and my Gibson and I do like the different tone. It is just a different palette. i still like PB strings as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

A week into it using the SB Monels on my F9, I have noticed that the tuning stability is an obvious difference in that they stay in tune very well, with only a few minor tweaks needed. The tone is warm and deep, but the sweet chime of the bronze is something I have missed. It might be that a lifetime of playing bronze strings is a factor in this. I am enjoying the tone of the steel wounds as a uniqueness and I am not about to change them out for J74's, yet. If I make a change I am heading in that direction. I find that recording the mandolin it tends to be less forgiving and picks up more overtones in the high, open strings. I do enjoy the tone overall, and love that the temperature changes do not affect tuning as much over night when the mandolin "rests."
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I have posted on several string threads that I am a monel fan. They do indeed last for a very long time. They are not as bright as bronze or phosphor bronze strings, but I really like the darker tone. I should note that I am typically accompanying songwriters in a duo or trio setting. If I played bluegrass more I would likely set up a second mandolin with phosphor bronze strings.
    Johneeaaddgg

23. The following members say thank you to John L for this post:

The .014 A & .025 D strings seem like they would be a problem. No one notices the thinner gauges on those?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

25. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    The .014 A & .025 D strings seem like they would be a problem. No one notices the thinner gauges on those?
    I like the S.B. monel strings. I don't have any problem with the D strings. I don't like the skinny As though, so I swap out the .014 A strings with a pair of 'standard' A strings from a J74 set.

(I usually have misc. extra J-74s lying around due to my tendency to pop an E-string now and then.)

27. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I like the monels a lot and I replace the 14s with 16s (usually GHS, so they are the same as the As that come with the A270 Phosphor Bronze set, my other favorite). I've gone back and forth between the monels and the A270s over many years. Right now I am using the monels, which seem to like well broken in mandos. They sound a little more old school to my ears.

29. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

Blog Entries

Deleted Post
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Oct-11-2015 at 1:56pm.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I don't have a whole lot to add, except that I've been using the Sam Bush monels on my A9 for two years now and wouldn't consider using another string. I think the darker tone of the monels really compliment the natural sweet sound of this mandolin. As for the thinner A and D courses, I didn't know they were thinner until reading this thread. Never paid any attention to it. I've never had any breakage issues and they last me between six months and a year, depending on how much I've been playing.

32. The following members say thank you to Tortuga DaPipah for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga DaPipah View Post
    I don't have a whole lot to add, except that I've been using the Sam Bush monels on my A9 for two years now and wouldn't consider using another string. I think the darker tone of the monels really compliment the natural sweet sound of this mandolin. As for the thinner A and D courses, I didn't know they were thinner until reading this thread. Never paid any attention to it. I've never had any breakage issues and they last me between six months and a year, depending on how much I've been playing.
    Hi Tortuga, I think you are right-- the slightly finer dia of the D and A strings is not an issue. The full set seems balanced and full. The nature of the steel wound D string makes it stouter that the Bronze counterpart, in my own opinion. I don't get the feeling these are too thin, but I sure respect the fact that each player needs to make these decisions for one's self. There is no one right or wrong but I find the set balanced and warm as you so well described in this post. At times I miss the ring of the phos bronze. I am wanting to stick with the Monels but have a desire to try the Bill Monroe set just one time to compare. I am being stubborn because I find these strings so stable and easy to keep closer to accurate tuning when the instrument is at rest. They don't seem as affected by temperature changes overnight. You are right-- the A9 must be similar to the F-9 because this string matches the rich and warm tone of the woods as the carving and the bracing are formed. Thanks! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030 (3).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	139803
    2014 BRW F5 #114

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

My Dearstone is a very bright mandolin any way the mono steel tones it down. I think they have a very good ring it's just lower pitched, darker than bronze, would not fit every mandolin, in my opinion, but sound great on the ones that they do fit.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Well said, Mandoplumb!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

38. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I like the S.B. monel strings. I don't have any problem with the D strings. I don't like the skinny As though, so I swap out the .014 A strings with a pair of 'standard' A strings from a J74 set.

(I usually have misc. extra J-74s lying around due to my tendency to pop an E-string now and then.)

It does not seem logical to me that Sam uses such a light A. I know he's usually plugged in, but to me it seems like he "wails" on Hoss relatively harder than most people would play. I would have expected he used heavy strings.
    I thought about trying out a set of these, but I really don't think I want to go that light. I'm used to J74 or 75s (or a mix using the A and E from 75s).
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

40. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post: