Thread: Tortoise shell picks

Default Tortoise shell picks

Why are genuine tortoise shell picks considered the benchmark for all other picks?

2. The following members say thank you to djdell for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tortoise shell picks

We don't get in to discussions about genuine tortoise shell on the Cafe as it is illegal to trade or sell according to the CITES rulings. I answer your question to be polite and will not discuss it further. For many years that particular material was the best available material. Lack of pick noise and toughness of the natural material being the two salient factors. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

4. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

the Look of TS has carried over to the nitro-cellulose plastic sheet ..
    picks are made from that material ,

but as above , thats my only input.

the Mock TS plastics also are used in instrument edge bindings, Pick-guards etc.

Had the idea in my head .. the Mock Turtle in 'Alice in Wonderland'
    is tied in with the substitute synthetics .

but No, Lewis Carroll was referring to a British Victorian Era Soup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_turtle_soup
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

A combination of tradition and utility developed back before synthetics were any good, much as they used elephant ivory for piano keys and beautiful rosewood and ebony on all sorts of silly stuff.

Now that we're at the point of growing a hamburger in a laboratory, though, I'd be curious if the next step might be growing a gigantic tortoise shell or elephant tusk for the purpose of making picks and guitar nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    We don't get in to discussions about genuine tortoise shell on the Cafe as it is illegal to trade or sell according to the CITES rulings. R/
    But why can't we just talk about the old-fashioned "that which shall not be named" picks?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    But why can't we just talk about the old-fashioned "that which shall not be named" picks?
    Because they always get beyond this:

Posts dealing in the sale or transfer of tortoise-shell products protected by the 1973 Endangered Species act are not allowed and will be removed. This includes picks made from "antique" shells. The purpose of this forum is the discussion of music, not the correctness or incorrectness of this issue. Discussions that start or end up on this topic are subject to being closed at the moderator's discretion.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

And since UsuallyPickin laid out the main reasons why they are so well thought of in post #2 - that is, asked and answered - there isn't a whole lot more to be said, IMO. Well, I would just add that their source is natural rather than synthetic, which adds to their already present cool factor. I had one, a gift from the local luthier, who fashioned it from a shell he found washed up on the shore (so he said), and it was indeed as good as I'd heard. It was stuck in the strings when my late lamented F-12 was stolen, adding to my loss.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Questioning the question is in order.

They are not the benchmark, and since everyone on the internet is not going to answer the query, your opinion is just that. You may think they are, but not everyone will share your opinion. A better opening question would be, "why do I think they are the benchmark?" Otherwise whether or not intended, the subject is one that brings in flies to land on the bait. Stating they are as fact is the oldest trick on this and every other internet forum. You're looking for people that agree with you and guess what? On the internet you will find them.

If you observe a lack of tolerance on my part and that of the moderators around this subject matter it's for good reason. So for those looking for trouble, here's my invitation for you to engage so you can be shown the door.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Because they always get beyond this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Questioning the question is in order.

If you observe a lack of tolerance on my part and that of the moderators around this subject matter it's for good reason. So for those looking for trouble, here's my invitation for you to engage so you can be shown the door.
    Thanks, got the message. Omertá about those TS picks......

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I am grateful for being too young to ever having even seen one. To me, it's a myth from Clayton/Dunlop's claims that their Ultem/Ultex is equally good. But then, Coca Cola claim approval from Santa...
    ...I never saw him turn up either late in a session when I drink the stuff to wake me up for the drive home, even though I am playing with a Clayton pick.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I am grateful for being too young to ever having even seen one. To me, it's a myth from Clayton/Dunlop's claims that their Ultem/Ultex is equally good. But then, Coca Cola claim approval from Santa...
    ...I never saw him turn up either late in a session when I drink the stuff to wake me up for the drive home, even though I am playing with a Clayton pick.
    I'm with Bertram. At 60 years old, I've never touched one, and don't seem to have suffered. Look at all Chris Thile-Joe Walsh-Josh Pinkhams of the world out there, and you quickly realize that most all the discussions of equipment (maybe outside of string choice) are pretty irrelevant. They got "it"; we don't.

Don't mean to start a usual holywar, but IMHO the whole logic behind "this forbidden topic" is sick. Brazilian rosewood is also on CITES list. Let's not mention it on a Cafe either as this may promote cutting the endargened trees in Amazon and what's even more scary facilitate global warming.
    Last edited by vic-victor; Sep-25-2015 at 7:34am.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We're done here.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post: