Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gold Tone mandocello

Default Re: Gold Tone mandocello

The old Gibson cellos were 1.5". Nothing wider than that. 1 7/16 or 1 3/8 might be even better.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

The old Gibson cellos were 1.5". Nothing wider than that. 1 7/16 or 1 3/8 might be even better.
    The ones I've seen measured 1.75 across the nut...

1 3/8 is mandolin territory, with no room for the bigger strings to move.

I vote wider....

I haven't seen a mandolin wider than 1 3/16". Mandolas are 1 1/4". OM's are 1 1/2". MC's 1 5/8 - 1/3/4". Depending on the scale length 10-stringers are about 1/4" wider than the equivalent scale 8-stringer.
    As for Gibson MC's, I don't mind going wider on the neck as long as the neck is shallower in depth.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I haven't seen a mandolin wider than 1 3/16".
    The National RM-1 is 1-1/4", as are some of the Northfields Adam Steffey has been playing.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think paddlehead Gibson's are 1-1/4". I really don't know for 'cellos though, leave that to those that play them. (I'm personally not shy on nut width for mandolin and really don't like 1-1/8th.)

Not to derail. . .

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Paddlehead Gibsons are 1 3/16". I had an RM-1, never bothered to measure the neck. Radim Zenkl has a really wide mandolin neck - custom made.

Just measured the Andersen cello's nut and it indeed is 1-5/8", not as clubby as a Gibson neck. So I'm with Eddie on that being an ideal width.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I would certainly tend towards a slimmer nut width. As a guitarist I found it took a while to adjust (this being on a bouzouki never had the privilege to play a m'cello). Now that I've grown accustomed to it I really like the narrow neck. My TC has a nut width of 1 1/4" and I really like it. I would think you would go a bit wider on a 'cello, though.

OK, so evidently this instrument was just at NAMM, with a 1-5/8" nut. Anyone see it?
    https://www.facebook.com/goldtoneinc...type=3&theater

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Darn. I was hoping they'd split the diff, and make it 1 11/16.....
    For me, wider is better.

So here's the new product shot ...

Not sure what to make of the mammoth tailpiece; the prototype had just a standard mandolin tailpiece. Also, there should be a fretboard marker at the 10th fret, not the 9th. GoldTone got this right on their mandola and octave mandolin; the mandocello shouldn't be any different.

It is temptingly priced at $824.25.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldtone cello.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	147898

Just called my pal at the Gold Tone dealer....they will be ordering one for me to try out. If I don't bounce for it, they'll just stock it until they go the local bluegrass festival come fall.

I have to find out if I can order one in when I hit the music store today
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

They told me delivery will start towards September.... And I will get the "good buddy deal" on the price.

I just asked them to look into it for me. I bought something else today and ordered something in. A new young fella was helping me and asked for a deposit. I said no, I don't do deposits... he says everyone does. then another person came over and said not Barry, just order it LOL

I will get one. It is affordable and looks sweet. I won't use it that much but I'd like to be able to lay some tracks now and then with it instead of bass
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Talked to the dealer this afternoon.... GoldTone has moved the delivery date back to October. I don't know if that means they are having production troubles, whether demand for orders is up, or whether they just moved me to the end of the line because I live in a town that starts with W.

They are also Eastman dealers, and he said Eastman is stopping mandocello production because GoldTone will probably pick up the slack with a less expensive product.

That works for me. I have a few expenses to take care of before that. I need a new bass guitar first. I like the Gold Tone M bass but I want that bright sound once in a while too. I have not heard back but I haven't talked to my guitar guy the last 2 trips to the music store. I am getting one for sure. I like it.

They are also Eastman dealers, and he said Eastman is stopping mandocello production because GoldTone will probably pick up the slack with a less expensive product.[/QUOTE]

Between that and recent changes with Weber, that leaves a huge gap between GoldTone's entry level and everything else. Glad I bought my Weber when I did.

Eastman didn't seem all that interested in mandocello customers/players. Their customer service guy was pretty unresponsive to my and other's complaints on how their mandocelli were set up. Hopefully Goldtone will do a better job.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Eastman didn't seem all that interested in mandocello customers/players. Their customer service guy was pretty unresponsive to my and other's complaints on how their mandocelli were set up. Hopefully Goldtone will do a better job.
    I had somewhat the opposite experience; when my mandocello tailpiece broke, the Eastman rep was quite supportive, even cannibalizing a newly-imported instrument to send me a replacement tailpiece at no charge.

He did say that Eastman was only shipping a half-dozen mandocelli to the US every few months, due to limited demand as compared to their guitars and mandolins. Don't think the company ever developed the market presence for these instruments -- probably because there aren't a lot of mandocello players.

I like mine a lot, though I'm only an occasional mandocello player.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7297.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	148570
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Gold Tone has decided on a 1.5" nut for production, which should make some folks happy

Gold Tone has decided on a 1.5" nut for production, which should make some folks happy
    They told me 1 5/8.

Gold Tone Music Group
    August 1 at 3:00pm ·
    We would like to thank you all for your opinions and suggestions regarding our soon-to-be-released Mandocello. We have finalized the specs and would like to take a moment to discuss them.
    The Mandocello will have a 1 1/2” nut neck width (like on Gibsons and Collins Mandocellos). There will be no problem with tension as we use a very sturdy double-adjusting truss rod. It will have two independent pick-ups (a transducer and floating mag) each with its own volume control.
    An exciting feature is that all of the electronics are contained in the pickguard, so if you are looking for a purely acoustic instrument, you can take off the pickguard to achieve this.
    The tone is reminiscent of an Eastman Mandocello. Position dots will be correct (Yes, the prototype had a marker on the 9th fret instead of the 10th). The newly added ebony tailpiece actually improves the tone, as terminating the strings with a mandolin-style tailpiece increases string tension and now the strings have a little more bounce. Street price will now be $825 with an archtop hard case. (We are trying to decide if we should do a run of lefties (the cost will increase 10%)).
    The Mandocello should be in-house and ready to ship by late Nov/Dec.
    We appreciate any of your comments and yes, Sydney is working on a pure acoustic recording (A Bach Cello piece, I believe)

Well that sucks.

Here it is the end of October and no Gold Tone mandocello. They have postponed delivery yet again, with no excuse given. I'm getting antsy.