Thread: Saw Tommy Emmanuael being interviewed

Default Saw Tommy Emmanuael being interviewed

He was asked about his practice routine. He said that he would practice a phrase or a particular run for a couple of hours just to get his muscle and hand coordination right. When he is not performing, he locks himself in the woodshed and practices guitar six to eight hours a day. I believe him, based on his incredible mastery of the instrument. I guess it takes that amount of time and dedication to become a true master.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonkay For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Saw Tommy Emmanuael being interviewed

While that amount of time and dedication can help, it's no guarantee of mastery of an instrument. For everybody who practices that much and is a great musician, you can find others who are just as great who practice far less. Each individual is different and we all need to find the proper balance of actual playing time vs. "down" time. It is quite possible for someone to injure themselves trying to emulate the long practice times of someone they admire.

It's also important to note that a lot of the learning we do actually happens when we're not actively engaged in whatever activity it is that we're trying to learn. The subconscious part of our brain is constantly processing the information we have gathered. For some of us, we need longer amounts of such processing time while for others of us, we don't need as much. The same goes for physically playing the instrument.

All that is by way of suggesting to be careful in finding your own schedule -- be very aware of aches/pains in your hands, wrists, arms, and back if you try to push yourself to longer practice sessions. Pain is nature's way of saying "Don't do that!"

yeah but Tommy is still the "Master"

Lately I have not had time to practice, but I have heard other Masters talk about focusing on a particular phrase until it becomes second nature. For me it sometimes helps to put it down for while and try something else to clear any misconceptions. Sometimes just running through fun easy tunes can get you back on track as well. Long duration practice can be consuming but also very rewarding, both mentally and physically.

As they say - so little time, so many tunes.

This is something I think a lot about because I practice a lot. I have not "mastered" the mandolin, but I can play. I have certainly met people who are better than me who do not have as rigorous a practice schedule as I keep, but I do not worry about them. If you can play great with minimal practice, then that is fantastic, for you. What I often wonder is, "Does anyone know someone who has sincerely practiced for thousands of hours and can't play at least pretty well? Is that even possible?"
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Blog Entries

Part of being a true master, part of the skill set, is the ability to practice effectively for that long every day. The discipline and the focus required to do anything well are skills or abilities in themselves, that vary from individual to individual like any other ability, and are part nurture and learnable and part nature and endowed, just like other skills.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have never heard a guitar player who I would consider better than Tommy Emmanuel, except maybe his brother Phil. Must be something in the water in Australia. Watching that interview has inspired me to devote a lot more time to practicing mandolin and guitar. Not six to eight hours a day, more like a couple of hours a day, and I am getting results. Practicing scale exercises and little ditties like Sailers Horn Pipe, Lonesome Fiddle Blues, Blackberry Blossom in different keys with a metronome. I will never be as good a player as Tommy Emmanuel, but I am getting better.

Hey Jonkay, we don't drink water, we drink Kentucky Bourbon hehehehehehe!
    Cheers
    John

9. The following members say thank you to John MacPhee for this post:

Jim B 

Where was that interview? I'd like to watch it.

It was something on You Tube .