Thread: Wyandotte Woods (John Goodin), mandolin duet

Default Wyandotte Woods (John Goodin), mandolin duet

This is a short piece for two mandolins, written by John Goodin in 2000. The score is in John's book "Midwestern Mandolin Duos" and also at his website at:

http://www.mandotopia.com/smt2013/WyWds.pdf

Recorded on a vintage Italian bowlback and an oval hole Gibson mandolin.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin

There are lots of places named after the Wyandotte (or Wyandot) People, but only one that I can find called "Wyandotte Woods", a neighbourhood in Dublin, Ohio. Not sure if that's the place John had in mind.

Martin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wyandotte Woods (John Goodin), mandolin duet

Martin, thanks again for recording my stuff. I'd put you on retainer if I had any money. I always enjoy the way you choose different instruments also.

I can tell you that Wyandotte Woods State Recreation Area (now known as O'Bannon State Park) in southern Indiana was a place where I would sometimes go hiking and/or camping in my distant youth. There would sometimes be music there as well. Lush forests, scenic views of the Ohio River, etc.

I posted a version of this piece back in August 2013 on my So Many Tunes blog that you can hear here. You can see that our tempos are very similar.

John G.

Default Re: Wyandotte Woods (John Goodin), mandolin duet

Thanks, John. I've been catching up on your more recent blog entries after I noticed last week that you had added a fair few more duets than you had when I last looked.

I try not to listen to your versions until after I have recorded my own, as I want to come to each tune fresh. Sometimes my reading is fairly similar to yours, sometimes quite different -- the adaptability of your compositions to different moods and interpretations is one of their strengths.

I did particularly like Wyandotte Woods, and I thought it's melancholy air and classical feel suits the Ceccherini and could bear some touches of tremolo. Thanks for the clarification of the location: no doubt I didn't find the park in question because it has changed name.

I've recorded two more of your pieces today, but I'll upload them to the old thread for your music -- I had forgotten about that one, but want to revive it to have all the pieces in one place.

Martin