Thread: New kid on the block

Hi all, I just thought I'd introduce myself here. I've been reading your forums for a month or so, but I just got the registration process to work for me (3rd time's the charm ). I've built several electric guitars and am beginning an attempt of my first acoustic instrument (an f-style mandolin). I am mostly a guitar player (rock, blues, and fingerstyle are what you'll find me playing most of the time), but after hearing Chris Thile I decided I had to learn mandolin. I'd like to learn some more traditional bluegrass music also as that's not in my musical past. I like to rock out, so forgive me if I step on some toes around sometimes. See ya around

Devon

Howdy. It would be great to see what your mando looks like when your finished. Welcome.

I have to admit, Chris Thile has introduced a TON of people to the mandolin, including me.

Howdy, Devon! Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard Devon! Enjoy!

Good to see ya Devon. You'll get some good help and advice around here.

Good name too. My oldest son's name is Devin.

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Thumbs up

Devon,

Welcome aboard!!!! I'm met some really cool people here.

I must admit, the best darn pickers in the world.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Welcome! You will find lots of info here and don't worry about "steping on toes" no one else does. Just be honest and talka bout what you know about. You will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by (diamond ace @ April 22 2005, 21:35)
    Welcome! #You will find lots of info here and don't worry about "steping on toes" #no one else does. #Just be honest and talka bout what you know about. #You will be alright.
    I'm not planning on it, that's why I apologize up front . Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll do my best to contribute what I can, but I regularly browse a couple've other forums. That on top of having what some people might call a life tie me up most of the time.

Warning! Once you can play that mando you might not want to put it down! I played lead guitar on both coasts in hard rock bands for over 20 years,heared Jeff Austin (yonder mt. string band)wail on a mando and it blew my mind! My jaw was dropped!Ran out the next day and bought a cheap one. I soon leaned it did'nt sound like the mandos in the recordings I was listening to.
    Listen and learn Bill Monroe stuff if you want to play bluegrass. It's bluegrass 101, like hendrix to rock guitar, it will give you the fundimentals and finess to play good honest mando.Oh ya it's tuff stuff too! You will probably have to spend much time playing as many mandos as you can, and learning about mandos,just like guitars there are different ones for different musical styles,and what makes some sound better than others is the science you'll need to learn. Don't expect your first self made acoustic insrument to sound good,you'll go through a lot of trial and tribulation until you hit the nail on the head.
    I hardly play my guitars anymore, now I just play mando, the fingering,technics,muscles used are totaly different than guitar and it keeps me quite busy. Those years of lead guitar did help put learning how to play the mando into hyperdrive.
    Thile is so gifted! Also check out David Grisman.
    Putting some of that rock attitude,technics into you're mando playing can make you unique and mind blowing if your good at it(rake picking arpeggois and 2 handed tapping on mando, good luck). I can't do alot of that kind of guitar stuff on the mando but I try sometimes,it's fun.Some of my guitar buddies were picking a Van Halen tune and told me to take the solo,so I did. 2 handed tapping and all,blew everyone away! Bill Monroe mixed blues and rock&roll licks into his traditional old world musical upbringing and it made him the most admired mando picker the world has ever known. God rest his soul! Ron
    Shudup and play your mandolin!