Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jts Picks

Default Jts Picks

Just bought a sample pack of these: http://www.jtspix.com/buy.html
    I got the 2mm mandolin shape, very nice! the white 'celcon' is my favourite at the moment and they're very cheap (if you live in the US)
    Worth checking out! NFI.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Quig For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jts Picks

Those look cool--I may need to check them out.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I've been using them for a couple of days now and like them alot, the nylon sounds the warmest to my ears followed by the Noryl (black one) which is a bit smoother, the Celcon and polycarbonate are very similar and are brighter.
    I'd say- (the 2mm ones at least) are like a cross between a Wegen M150 and Dunlop Gator 2mm. Nice bevel too!
    I will have to give the 1.2mm a try next..pity they don't do a 1.5mm. Still, for the price they are fantastic!

5. The following members say thank you to Nick Quig for this post:

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Super deal! I just ordered all the sample packs. This should be a lifetime supply of picks. Unless a BC sneaks up on me...
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

7. The following members say thank you to k0k0peli for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by k0k0peli View Post
    Super deal! I just ordered all the sample packs.
    Same here - I've been trying picks and figure I'll try another new type. So far the comments sound positive.

hey..at a buck a piece, I ordered a sample pack for me and one for a picking buddy of mine. I've always said half the fun playing the mandolin is trying out new picks.

10. The following members say thank you to Jackgaryk for this post:

The only picks I see available at that link are 1.2mm. I searched the site, but there isn't much to it. If I could find some triangle shaped ones in 2mm, I'd be inclined to order... where are they?

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    The only picks I see available at that link are 1.2mm. I searched the site, but there isn't much to it. If I could find some triangle shaped ones in 2mm, I'd be inclined to order... where are they?

bratsche
    The far left column has 2.0mm, but only in one shape. They have the 346 shape that I like, but only in 1.2mm. I'd be willing to try one, but I wish it available in at least a 1.5mm.

Their contact page shows they are in Westerville, Ohio
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I don't know, they show a whole lot of left handed players there. Will these work for right handed people? This looks interesting. I might have to try a combo pack.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I bought a couple sample packs in the 2 mm size. Arrived in a few days time (to Washington State). Very similar in size, shape and feel as my current favorite, the Wegen M200. They have a shallow tri-foil design in the center that helps grip more than a pure smooth pick. These feel thicker and a little more substantial than my Wegens. Bevel is the same direction and very similar to my right handed Wegens. Bevel is nicely smoothed with no separation/mold line. I don't really hear a difference between the four colors; YMMV. I like them pretty well so far, but they just arrived today.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I don't know, they show a whole lot of left handed players there. Will these work for right handed people? This looks interesting. I might have to try a combo pack.
    The bevels are right handed though in the picture they appear to be left handed.

16. The following members say thank you to Nick Quig for this post:

My sample pack arrived yesterday, and so far I like the materials. I could stand a bit sharper point, but so far they feel and sound good and I plan to order more.

Hi to all ! JT here. Glad to see you have found our picks, and like them ! All the standard picks we have are right handed. My website creator took some liberties with the pictures he had, and mirrored a few, not thinking of possible consequences.

I do however have a small inventory of left handed Style 4 picks if anyone were interested. As you surmised, they do work poorly for a right handed player.

A beauty of the multiple plastics thing, is that whilst you are trying to see which plastic fits you best, you find that you have practiced more ! It's quite interesting to me that 4 great players may each pick a different material as their favorite.

Thanks for all your interest ! Keep on pickin'

Jim Thomas JT

19. The following members say thank you to JTs Pix for this post:

gtani7 

Thanks for your work.

I know the molds cost a lot, but any chance on some more pointed picks?

David,

Our style 2 pick is the traditional sharper corner triangle, but so far I've only made it in 1.2mm thickness.
    I'm not to anxious to make more mold cavities, unless I think I could sell quantities of 1000 or more.
    I've been working with the mindset that our best product is the "leading edge bevelled" style 3 and 4. I believe
    it offers a better attack angle on the string........ and therefore is our best shot at success. I stated above that the best players may each like a different plastic, but in my experience they seem to gravitate toward the style 3 & 4 .
    Jim

I like the looks of the style 2 - in fact, that's the only shape of pick I use with any consistency, and I think you'll find a lot of mandolin players use pointed triangle picks. But 1.2mm is way too thin for my taste. I haven't found anything that thin in any material that I like - just saying. Hint, hint.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by JTs Pix View Post
    David,

Our style 2 pick is the traditional sharper corner triangle...
    Jim
    Yeah, I guess they would like those other picks!

But I'm the oddball Italian player that likes smaller non-triangular picks with very pointed tips. So no to the larger triangles, and certainly no to the 3 and 4 with rounded tips. Plus for mandolin, I wouldn't use anything thicker anyway so 1.2mm is fine- again I'm in the minority.

But I do get that molds are difficult and that a classical mandolin pick would not pay off, but I appreciate your response.

P.S. I just ordered a few more!

I ordered the style 2 and style 4 sample packs. I've had them for a couple days now and first thoughts were they aren't as thick as they are suppose to be and I can't hold on to them. Seems like they turned a lot while picking. It's probably just me. The style 4 is too small for me and while the style 2 is my preferred shape, I would like it to be a little thicker....1.4 or 1.5. I believe they have a good tone and I certainly will use them from time to time and the price is unreal...10 picks for 10 bucks. Hard to beat that deal. These ain't no BC picks but they are a lot better than the advertising picks the shops give away. Thanks Jim for making these available. I do enjoy trying out different picks. Next weeend the grandkids will have a chance to use them. i'm betting they will be a hit with the little ones. Good luck Jim!

I ordered all four sample packs and retrieved them from my mailbox today -- twenty picks mixed together in one plastic bag. Without going back to the website and comparing measurements to the specs, I can't readily tell which is which. They're just big & little & thick & thin & various colors, no way to tell offhand which are polycarbonate or whatever. Suggestion for JT: Please label the samples.
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics

I've been happy with my Dunlop pick but I thought about trying these......until I saw that the shipping cost was the same as the picks. That doubled the cost. I'll wait.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

kOKOpeli,
    My guy should have separated out for you by plastic.
    The red is polycarbonate
    black is Noryl
    bright white is celcon
    off white is nylon.

Thanks for Trying these !

28. The following members say thank you to JTs Pix for this post:

I just pulled the trigger on one of everything

We'll see how this journey goes.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by JTs Pix View Post
    kOKOpeli,
    My guy should have separated out for you by plastic.
    The red is polycarbonate
    black is Noryl
    bright white is celcon
    off white is nylon.

Thanks for Trying these !
    Thanks! What I got was a baggie filled with picks and your card. What are the blue ones?

Sorry I didn't ID the blue for you.
    It is also a polycarbonate - a different grade.

Jim

32. The following members say thank you to JTs Pix for this post:

I've been trying to subjectively work my way through these picks. I bought a sample pack of each. Style 1 and Style 2 I have not yet tried on the guitar. I don't suspect that I'll use them on the mandolin.

I find the style 4 to be a bit cumbersome for me. I generally don't mind thick picks (at least I didn't think I did). I can't get a decent sound out of the Style 4 and the white one (not the off white) slips out of my fingers for some reason.

The Style 3 on the other hand seems to be my preferred style out of the rounded picks. I can get decent sound out of all of them and they have some very subtle differences in sound The red one is rising to the surface as my favorite but I'm not not ready to proclaim it as my go to pick. I'm still still evaluating the options.

These are a decent price now that the shipping prices have been adjusted.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber