Thread: 1911 Gibson F2 on NJ CL

Default 1911 Gibson F2 on NJ CL

No personal interest. I don't have the $$'s but I would be interested in what people think. Trying to learn a bit here. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/5122279579.html

Default Re: 1911 Gibson F2 on NJ CL

Well, to me $3K seems high, but I'm livin' in the past (when I bought my 3-point for $1.5K). Googling around, I'm finding most prices around $3K, with Mandolin Brothers taking their usual position on the high side at $4K. Even my good Rochester buddy Dave Stutzman, usually a paragon of low-competitive prices, is listing his two F-2's at $3.3K and $3.6K.

This one's got the Handel tuners, and a "period, not original" hardshell case; it looks to be in VG condition. One would need to actually play it, to confirm the seller's rosy description, but the price -- while not a huge bargain -- is in line with what F-2's are bringing, maybe a bit toward the "bargain" side.

CraigsList sellers often will negotiate, but seems to me this one's pretty informed about the current market. Stroudsburg's close enough to the NYC area to be influenced by "big city" prices, perhaps...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    . Stroudsburg's close enough to the NYC area to be influenced by "big city" prices, perhaps...

With the internet now Tulsa is close enough also. Just sayin'.

Phil

4. The following members say thank you to goaty76 for this post:

Good point, Phil. There are a couple of NYC vintage dealers who sell regularly on eBay and their prices are always 25-30 percent more than everybody else on eBay--yet, they manage to stay in business somehow. eBay has made it "easy" to compare pricing, but they must be selling service, reputation, knowledge, etc. And, I guess it wouldn't make sense for the same instrument to be priced cheaper online than in their retail store.

I look at eBay Completed Items to see what something has actually SOLD for, not what someone is ASKING for an instrument. Many of the instruments on eBay are relisted week after week, month after month, hoping for a certain price and someone to pay that price. OFTEN, the instrument actually sells for a fraction of the asking price.

On Craigslist, when you deal with an individual, sometimes the negotiation can begin on the phone before you even make the drive to see the item. Sometimes a big price will keep the "bargain hunters" away and after a few days without any calls, the seller has lessened his expectations and will take a lower price. Like Allen says, this seller seems fairly informed of the market, but sometimes a seller has a personal reason for selling--car repair, dental bill, etc., and will take less once someone shows some interest and is actually there in person looking at the mandolin.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Aug-04-2015 at 10:58am.

6. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'll tell you what I think. I've wanted one of these or an F-4 for a long time, and my birthday is coming up.

OK, I'm pretty sure Nevin is just wondering about the old price vs quality/condition dynamic. But dreams are free, even if vintage instruments aren't ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911 F-2 01.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	136925 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911 F-2 03.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	136926 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911 F-2 05.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	136927
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Well, to me $3K seems high, but I'm livin' in the past (when I bought my 3-point for $1.5K).
    Yes, Allen, and back when I picked up a 1916 converted F-4 for $625 which I still play daily. Ah, the good old days....inflation? oh yeah, that.

I think the CL seller has it priced just about right to give himself a bit of negotiation room. Getting it for $2.8K would be a sweet deal. NFI

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

9. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Looks like it sold.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda