Thread: Breaking strings like a pro

Default Breaking strings like a pro

I play with a band in Wilmington, NC called the Midatlantic. I have a Breedlove Quartz KO and a Breedlove FF. We are a Folk Rock/Americana band so we play hard but I seem to be breaking an excessive number of strings , especially for outdoor performances when it's hot and humid.

I've had each for a year and a half and 9 months respectively. They all seem to snap near the bridge. We played Floydfest in VA up in the relatively cool dry mountains and the first set I didn't break any, but then it got progressively worse in the last 2 sets with the impending rain and heat. Then a couple nights ago I felt like I was breaking 1-2 strings per song here at home.

I'm putting D'addario EXP medium gauge strings on (as they were set up with at the factory) so I haven't strayed from the original setup. I use a Bluechip 40 pick. What am I doing wrong/what is happening/what can I do?

Default Re: Breaking strings like a pro

You might want to take a look at those bridge saddles. Perhaps you have an unduly "sharp" point where the string contacts the saddle.

Humidity makes wood expand, in general; it increases the arch of your mandolin's top, pushing the bridge a bit higher. There may thus be a bit more stress on the strings there.

Are you breaking a variety of strings, or always the same (E,A, whatever) pair? Are you breaking both strings of a pair equally, or is it always the string your pick hits first? Have you noticed that your action seems a bit higher when the humidity increases?

You're playing in a "Folk Rock/Americana band," so I'm assuming you're amplified. Can you increase the gain on your instrument, and soften your picking attack a bit? Breaking "1-2 strings per song" will drive you nuts, and bankrupt you with string replacements; and, you say you're breaking strings "at home," where your probably not plugged in (?).

You can also experiment with different string gauges. Heavier strings are sturdier, but they also have to be tuned with greater tension in order to reach standard pitch, so they aren't necessarily less liable to breakage. Lighter strings are more fragile, but they also don't need to be as taut.

Central to me would be [a] checking the bridge for sharp points on the saddle, [b] adopting a lighter-touch picking style, [c] trying different string gauges. Good luck.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    You might want to take a look at those bridge saddles. Perhaps you have an unduly "sharp" point where the string contacts the saddle.

Humidity makes wood expand, in general; it increases the arch of your mandolin's top, pushing the bridge a bit higher. There may thus be a bit more stress on the strings there.

Are you breaking a variety of strings, or always the same (E,A, whatever) pair? Are you breaking both strings of a pair equally, or is it always the string your pick hits first? Have you noticed that your action seems a bit higher when the humidity increases?

You're playing in a "Folk Rock/Americana band," so I'm assuming you're amplified. Can you increase the gain on your instrument, and soften your picking attack a bit? Breaking "1-2 strings per song" will drive you nuts, and bankrupt you with string replacements; and, you say you're breaking strings "at home," where your probably not plugged in (?).

You can also experiment with different string gauges. Heavier strings are sturdier, but they also have to be tuned with greater tension in order to reach standard pitch, so they aren't necessarily less liable to breakage. Lighter strings are more fragile, but they also don't need to be as taut.

Central to me would be [a] checking the bridge for sharp points on the saddle, [b] adopting a lighter-touch picking style, [c] trying different string gauges. Good luck.
    I'l try sanding my bridge notches down a touch to smooth out the seating of each string. I'm using D'addario medium 80/20 EXP (11-15-26-40). I am breaking all strings, mostly E A D...I'm playing through an LR Baggs Venue DI. So I am amplified through the PA and will try calming down a bit. I'm not a trained mandolin player. I taught myself a couple years ago and just love it. But my technique is probably horrible. It just seems rediculous how fast I'm blowing through them though...even when playing gently.

THanks for a ll the great suggestions though!

4. The following members say thank you to jasonandremusic for this post:

I used to have breakage issues with heavier strings, I went to a stock (GHS A-270) set after I had used a stupidly heavy (custom) set. I could blow through e and d strings like popcorn!
    I was using .012,.016,.032,.042. After I went to a more reasonable set, life became much more pleasant. That was a really extreme set though. I can't believe I didn't collapse the mandolin! I had a fine luthier around who knew what was going on and he shook his head a couple of times. Forty odd years later, the top has still not failed, my "Alvarez" is a screamer so, I guess I did not serious harm except to my finger tips but, that's another story.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

While faulty strings and other factors can be the culprits, most broken strings seem to be from bridge or nut issues.
    So I wouldn't ignore them when string breaks become an issue.

I had one guitar that seemed to break the D & even the A strings.
    I carefully smoothed out the bridge saddles, and nut slots--and on every string change I gently/lightly rub a pencil on them for the graphite--and since then I haven't broken a string on that guitar in years.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Look at the point where the strings enter and exit the saddle slots, assuming they are breaking near the saddle.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I play Elixer, COATED hard, 11 to 40. I change the D & G strings every 6 months, the E & A strings every 3 months, and I have never had one break. There is no tarnish or oxidation on the D & G strings and they are much smoother than other coated brands I have tried. Elixer does make a lighter string if you do not like the 11 - 40 sizes. This string is slightly more expensive than the J-74 sets, but well worth it I think.

As you can see below, I own two Breedloves but I've never broken a string on either of them. I've broken them on a Morgan Monroe and a Kentucky but never on a Breedlove.

One of those breaks was the result of a faulty nut (and I can't remember what the other problem was).

Having said that, I still carry a string winder and at least one extra set of strings at every gig.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.