Thread: The Saga of My Epiphone

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default The Saga of My Epiphone

It's an MM50 E which had a buzz on about six notes near the 12th fret. (I could avoid playing those notes: I'm lazy.) But yes, should fix the relief. Finally got the relief fixed - would have done it myself, but I don't have the right tool (wrong size hex or Allan key - that's a WHOLE other story). Anyway, got it fixed, but the buzzing at the 12th fret, which is why I knew the relief needed fixing, remained: albeit there was less of it. We had a look (my tech friend and I) and he points out, 'ah, a cheap bridge - you can cut done the grooves, or buy a new bridge: that will sort out the action.'

Ok: cutting down the grooves in the bridge - Could use my feeler gauge and modify to become a nut file as per Rob Meldrum's book - except I don't have the tools to do that, nor the confidence (nor the money to buy more sets of feeler gauges - yes, I know they're cheap - check out Sydney house prices before you judge me). OH, and I'm lazy. So a new bridge it is.

I've bought a Weber. Putting it on later today or tomorrow (probably tonight). I've done a search here - lots on Weber mandolins, bits and pieces on the bridge.

Are there any tricks, tips or traps I need to watch out for?

(And, is it right I can adjust the bridge height without having to loosen the strings? Won't that affect the intonation?)

I love the mando: it's got a nice neck and a lovely tone. Hopefully I can do those Thile, Marshall, Hull, Bush and Dawg Licks properly now. (Oh, except I'm lazy, and they'd require practice...)
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: The Saga of My Epiphone

"(And, is it right I can adjust the bridge height without having to loosen the strings? Won't that affect the intonation?)"
    Adjusting up might cause all the strings to go a bit sharp and adjusting down might make them go flat, but that is just a retuning issue.
    Bill Snyder

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Default Re: The Saga of My Epiphone

I hate it but I always loosen tension /somewhat. I find I can maybe barely turn the adjusto wheels - going down. going up, forget about it.
    If you are doing a whole new bridge, you have to fit the base to the top curvature.

I'm not seeing how this is going to fix a buzz problem. Have you checked for a neck hump? Maybe flat filing the frets would help. Buzz means frets high or low - usually uppers interfering with lowers, cos the uppers are somehow too high. It doesn't take much to buzz; and levelling frets levels all of them so you have a clean starting point. (a neck hump is a rise in the neck usually near 12th, or near neck-body joint).

Maybe I'm missing the point. If so, it's not the first time. but keep the old bridge, for now. (you bought a weber bridge only, not a weber mando, right? and you are working on a buzzing epi, right?)

I think your problems are simply setup related, standard stuff. but I am lazy too sometimes, and maybe I missed something.

= also = I am a fan of that electric epi - almost got one, it turned out to be a shady deal, it seemed, o well.
    cheers.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    "(And, is it right I can adjust the bridge height without having to loosen the strings? Won't that affect the intonation?)" Adjusting up might cause all the strings to go a bit sharp and adjusting down might make them go flat, but that is just a retuning issue.
    Thanks.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    I hate it but I always loosen tension /somewhat. I find I can maybe barely turn the adjusto wheels - going down. going up, forget about it. If you are doing a whole new bridge, you have to fit the base to the top curvature. I'm not seeing how this is going to fix a buzz problem. Have you checked for a neck hump? Maybe flat filing the frets would help. Buzz means frets high or low - usually uppers interfering with lowers, cos the uppers are somehow too high. It doesn't take much to buzz; and levelling frets levels all of them so you have a clean starting point. (a neck hump is a rise in the neck usually near 12th, or near neck-body joint). Maybe I'm missing the point. If so, it's not the first time. but keep the old bridge, for now. (you bought a weber bridge only, not a weber mando, right? and you are working on a buzzing epi, right?) I think your problems are simply setup related, standard stuff. but I am lazy too sometimes, and maybe I missed something.
    The old bridge was uneven. Once it's on (1 hour for one string last night: 7 to go! ) I'll have another look and then check the frets again. But they seem ok. [/QUOTE] = also = I am a fan of that electric epi - almost got one, it turned out to be a shady deal, it seemed, o well. cheers.[/QUOTE] Thanks. I love mine. It's a jbovier. And it's gorgeous. Good luck in finding one. Let us know how you go!