Thread: and i'm interested in finding out about Givens mandolins

Default and i'm interested in finding out about Givens mandolins

with all my other A model searches, i'm interested in the Givens line as well. i know GregBoyds is supposed to be very ken on them. would love to hear from owners of things to look for in a Givens.

are the necks typically thin/thick, wide/narrow, things of that sort highly appreciated.

are the Givens Legacy models very similar in tone, feel of the originals?

thanks
    d

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: and i'm interested in finding out about Givens mandolins

1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

3. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    DN

i did a search before i posted and did come up with this one specific thread of late:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ghlight=givens

was hoping some actual owners would offer up specifics to look for, or particular years to be more aware of. i'm totally naive on this maker.

any other search i put in gave up threads that loosely mentioned a Givens but not a lot of specifics. i've listened and watched the videos on Gregboyds and i do like the sound for sure. was wanting to know more about neck sizes and such. the shop in knoxville "The Parlor" tends to always have a couple Givens, appears the prices are top end:
    http://theparlorknoxville.com/mandolins

not ready to buy, just doing research.

d

5. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

hold on, i put the full phrase you posted "Givens Mandolin Cafe" in the search and found a bunch, very specific to Givens.
    thanks mucho
    d

7. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Every thread on the Cafe with the word Givens in it can be found here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Every thread on the Cafe with the word Givens in it can be found here.
    thanks Mike
    now there is a bunch of research for me!
    d

And if you want some personal reflections on a Givens, I have owned one since 1979. It has been my only mandolin until my new Mike Black mandolin gets shipped my way. PM me if you like.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

12. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    ... and i do like the sound for sure. was wanting to know more about neck sizes and such...
    Per your research, you do realize that Givens mandolins as a rule don't have adjustable truss rods in the necks...something to consider as it matters to some...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Per your research, you do realize that Givens mandolins as a rule don't have adjustable truss rods in the necks...something to consider as it matters to some...
    thanks Data
    i just came upon that realization a few hours ago, and yes, that does make a difference to me.
    thanks for the heads up

d

15. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I have owned 3 Givens mandolins... Two were great and one was just okay. I sold the last one because the neck was warping and it had no adjustable tuss rod. It was an A6 that cost $1,000 new in 1991! The moral of the story is that all mandolins differ in sound quality and some necks warp worse than others... Play before you buy is my advice regardless of the builder.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samlyman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    I have owned 3 Givens mandolins... Two were great and one was just okay. I sold the last one because the neck was warping and it had no adjustable tuss rod. It was an A6 that cost $1,000 new in 1991! The moral of the story is that all mandolins differ in sound quality and some necks warp worse than others... Play before you buy is my advice regardless of the builder.
    thanks for that reply Sam.
    i do like an adjustment at the truss rod. i've tried a couple new built mandolins with no adjustment and the relief was simply too much-and nothing could be done. shame, because i really liked one of them, but too much relief gave it a stiff feel.
    i do want to see/have hands on to some Givens, so hopefully i can make the 2.5 hour drive soon to Knoxville Tn to check out some at The Parlor. It will be a good experience just to see/check them out.
    d

I've owned four, all different A models (A3, A4, A5, A6), and regret selling or trading the three I don't have anymore. Volume and tone were all top- notch, neck profiles were all over the place. The A5 I own now is close to 1 3/16, but I had an A6 that was really close to an inch. I love Givens mandolins, but they can be quirky, like some of the plainer-looking ones can sound the best, some have a truss rod that can only be accessed through the endpin, etc... I've been lucky I guess to never play one that was just "okay," and I know of one in my area that is astoundingly loud, with beautiful, complex tone. Unfortunately, it's not for sale, or I'd be playing it now. Get some in your hands is good advice, and I agree about those prices at the Parlor, but I have to remind myself that "they aren't making any more of them." Also, if you haven't yet, try to play an Old Wave. Bill is the Bob Givens of this era, in my opinion, and such a pleasure to work with. I presently have an A with f-holes from both, and they are equal in their own ways. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Russell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Russell View Post
    I've owned four, all different A models (A3, A4, A5, A6), and regret selling or trading the three I don't have anymore. Volume and tone were all top- notch, neck profiles were all over the place. The A5 I own now is close to 1 3/16, but I had an A6 that was really close to an inch. I love Givens mandolins, but they can be quirky, like some of the plainer-looking ones can sound the best, some have a truss rod that can only be accessed through the endpin, etc... I've been lucky I guess to never play one that was just "okay," and I know of one in my area that is astoundingly loud, with beautiful, complex tone. Unfortunately, it's not for sale, or I'd be playing it now. Get some in your hands is good advice, and I agree about those prices at the Parlor, but I have to remind myself that "they aren't making any more of them." Also, if you haven't yet, try to play an Old Wave. Bill is the Bob Givens of this era, in my opinion, and such a pleasure to work with. I presently have an A with f-holes from both, and they are equal in their own ways. Frank
    thanks Frank
    I have saw mention of Old Wave but have never researched them-I will!
    d

I've played maybe half a dozen Givens mandolins. What I can say is that they were not at all consistent. Some were really great sounding, others were "meh". As I remember, they have fairly small necks. As for fit and finish, if you are a stickler for this you are going to be disappointed. Some of the ones I played were fair in terms of cosmetics. Bit pricey too. I'd say you need to play one before you buy it, and not all can be judged by that one example either.

A friend of mine had one in his shop in Connecticut the last time I was there. AcousticMusic.org. I am not sure that he still has it, but he has some great mandolins there now from what he told me, including a white-topped Collings oval hole MT2 that is outrageous looking and sounding.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

23. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I've played maybe half a dozen Givens mandolins. What I can say is that they were not at all consistent. Some were really great sounding, others were "meh". As I remember, they have fairly small necks. As for fit and finish, if you are a stickler for this you are going to be disappointed. Some of the ones I played were fair in terms of cosmetics. Bit pricey too. I'd say you need to play one before you buy it, and not all can be judged by that one example either.

A friend of mine had one in his shop in Connecticut the last time I was there. AcousticMusic.org. I am not sure that he still has it, but he has some great mandolins there now from what he told me, including a white-topped Collings oval hole MT2 that is outrageous looking and sounding.
    thanks Mary
    since you have introduced me to that shop months ago, I have looked into the future for a planned roadtrip-would love to go there and partake for a day!
    thanks for your input
    d

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

are the necks typically thin/thick, wide/narrow, things of that sort highly appreciated.

are the Givens Legacy models very similar in tone, feel of the originals?
    I have a very nice A model from around 1980. Not as versatile musically as some other mandolins, but for power and crunch it is fabulous.

My nut width is 1-3/16, but Givens built wide and narrow necks. Maybe the neck shape varies too-- mine is pretty well triangular. Took a little getting used to, but I'm fine with it now.

No truss rod, but none of my other mandolins have one either.

A good player from Portland put a very nice Givens Legacy F-5 in my hands at a jam in June. It's the only one I've seen, but it was excellent.

Good luck in your search!
    Last edited by Bruce Clausen; Jul-31-2015 at 1:21pm.

26. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

First, to my knowledge many original Givens, and all the later Steve Weill-made Givens Legacy mandolins, have adjustable truss rods, but they must be accessed through the body with a long (~12"), narrow diameter truss rod hex tool. It is not convenient, but that's how he does it. This has been discussed here before (by me and others; I won't try to hunt down the threads).

I own a nice Legacy A-style, ca. 2003. I think they are pretty true to the late Givens specs, which include radiused FBs, large frets, 1-1/8" nut width, and fairly deep rounded V-shape neck profile. Mine took a number of years to mature in sound, but now has a nice fat tone and good volume. The new Legacy instruments are a good value, I think. Occasionally you will see a used one, and I would consider those Very Good values. New prices are up a lot from what they were when I bought mine, but of course an original Givens-made model will be a good deal more.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

28. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post: