Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Ford's string winders at Gryphon

Default Frank Ford's string winders at Gryphon

First, let me say I have no financial interest in this post.

Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto has starting selling Frank's string winders.

Looks like a great tool that should last a lifetime. Totally hand built by the master himself, save for the handles.

Bill

2. The following members say thank you to Bill Burch for this post:

Default Re: Frank Ford's string winders at Gryphon

I'm a sucker for well made tools. I have no real need for such a device, but damn, now I want one!
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Ouch. 79.00 is a bit rich for my blood. But they do look nice.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

garded

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Ouch. 79.00 is a bit rich for my blood. But they do look nice.
    I can see your point when you can buy a plastic one for pretty cheap. But all the machined parts with their radii. Plus all those parts are threaded with the 7 deg offset with what looks like UHMW( ultra high molecucular weight ) plastic machined to accept certain size tuner buttons. This is a serious tool that it takes a while on a lathe with some nice tooling to do the radii along with maybe a mill to do the specific slot in the UHMW.

For the amount of work and materials I don't think Mr. Ford is trying to get rich. This is more a labor of love and that's why he doesn't make very many. Just my deflated 2c opinion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

I figure I change strings 3 or 4 time a month, so 36 to 48 times a year. If I can do that another 20 years or 720 to 960 times, using a finely crafted tool that gives me pleasure each time I use it, I'd say that's a bargain.

You could play a $100 mandolin made in China or a finely crafted instrument, built by hand by a skilled luthier, that brings you joy each time you think about it, look at it, and play it. Which of these is the best value?

I need one of these! Uh oh.. Do I have string winder g.a.s.?
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I don't understand the need. Just wind the string around the post before sticking the string through the hole in the post. Takes very little time to string a mando this way, and eliminates the need for tool. And you won't ever run the risk of getting "peg winder rash" on the sides of your peghead....

10. The following members say thank you to pianoman89 for this post:

Astro 

I've never had peg winder rash on the side of any peg head. I'm 64 and have been using winders of all types for well over 50 years. I guess I'm just lucky or careful. I have scratched headstocks with strings and wire cutters trying to get strings off that were put on that way. I guess I'm not that careful. What should really confuse you is that Frank Ford is a guy that advocates stringing your method and still uses a winder. Then again he's probably one of the best known luthiers in the country. Go figure.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...dostring1.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Frank's winder is a tool for those that appreciate a finely made tool that fits their specific need. I admire it, I might even buy one because it is elegant. The problem is that I don't string mandolins for a living or even a portion of my livelihood. Also, being a cheap guy I simply made the one below. Does it work? Yes, well. Is it as robust and elegant as Frank's? No. If you've got the desire and the means to acquire Frank's winder I'd say go for it. Fine tools can bring as great a joy as a fine instrument to those so inclined. I have wood working tools that are well over a hundred years old that I use and they look like museum pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jop.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	136716  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

I never used a string winder. I tried once. It was much too difficult.

I don't get it on a mandolin. High speed winding seems to cause broken strings, for me. Maybe I could take lessons??

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    I never used a string winder. I tried once. It was much too difficult.

I don't get it on a mandolin. High speed winding seems to cause broken strings, for me. Maybe I could take lessons??
    I change strings a couple of times a month or so and I love my string winder. It doesn't take lessons and it's not high speed winding but it's definitely faster than cranking the tuner by hand. Using your Black and Decker would be high speed winding.

I keep a string winder in my mandolin case to speed things up if I break a string during a gig.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

15. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Gorgeous, and far more elegant than the $20 something winder I picked up cheap on sale a few years ago. Then again, it is also far more likely to find its way onto antique roadshow one of these years. For tool heads, this is an heirloom tool to accompany an heirloom instrument. The value matrix is filled with many personal variables, including "Will it fit the case's internal storage?".
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I already have a custom Wildwood winder that's works great on my Grover mini buttons. I still would love to have one of Mr. Fords works of art. I dreamed of becoming a machinist and creating these kind of pieces, but life got in the way and my life turned to photography. Great work for a small price.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman89 View Post
    I don't understand the need. Just wind the string around the post before sticking the string through the hole in the post. Takes very little time to string a mando this way, and eliminates the need for tool. And you won't ever run the risk of getting "peg winder rash" on the sides of your peghead....
    Exactly-- it's a LOT faster which is a real plus if you have to change a string mid-gig. No guessing how much extra slack to leave, no problems with the end loop coming off the tailpiece either. Just wind as much as will conveniently go around the post and then stick the end through. Try it once and you won't go back to the old way.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

It looks to be superb piece of equipment to me, I would definately buy one if they were available in the UK.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

UPS flys there and so Does the USPS..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman89 View Post
    This method is my method of choice, faster and cleaner string change. However it is faster and easier with a string winder, and with a work of art as a winder it would be more fun. I gotta get me one.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I change strings a couple of times a month or so and I love my string winder. It doesn't take lessons and it's not high speed winding but it's definitely faster than cranking the tuner by hand. Using your Black and Decker would be high speed winding.

I keep a string winder in my mandolin case to speed things up if I break a string during a gig.
    I do appreciate well-made tools, precision tools, et al.

But I am pretty hands-on when stringing, and I have my simple four-handed+one-legged approach to the whole thing, which gets the string started and guided through the start of winding - and a few cranks later, I am tuning. I would need another hand, and some eventual adaptation to utilize the benefits that seem to be offered here. I think it's just a personal preference based on previous messy experiences w those darned strings that don't listen when I tell them.... I remain "primitive".

It's kinda similar w tailpiece - I would like a James; but I can't justify price for no sound improvement. But to look really "cool", well maybe later, who knows. The lightweight piece of tin I have now might have to go. And an engraved "MysTiK" tailpiece =
    Ahhh what a day for a daydream.

If I were doing repairs often for others, maybe a good winder would be more professional.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

MysTik-- any of those places that engrave gifts in the mall kiosks could engrave a plain tailpiece cover for you pretty cheaply.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

It's a thing of considerable beauty, but surplus to my needs. Fingers work rather well for this minor task.

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

That right there is the coolest string winder I've ever seen! Although, I just replaced the exhaust on my '93 Buick for the same amount of money.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

26. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

I like changing my strings using a winder. That being said if you don't like using a winder you could change your tuners to a set of these; http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/88841. He claims they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Just received one of Franks winders for Christmas and it is a fetish quality tool as promised...
    The offset angle on the handle is really where the magic happens...your palm stays in the same place and your fingertips swivel around in the easiest possible motion..not like the standard..where your whole hand orbits around the peg...
    a beautifully crafted tool start to finish..elegant design.
    good on ye Frank..
    Thomas Quinn

That is a beautiful tool. I'm wondering, since I'm not handy at all, is anyone making the cheap, plastic string winder specifically for mandolin? I had one years ago, but it broke. I would love to replace it for a couple of bucks.
    Daniel Kaufman

I'm in the "nice but I don't need this" camp. I've been playing stringed instruments for over 40 years. I've currently got some 15 stringed instruments. I have 6 regular players that I change strings on frequently. My slot head 12 string Ovation takes the longest, maybe 20 minutes total from starting to remove the old strings to new strings on and tuned up. I just never understood the need for a winder.