Thread: 'Invented' a brace to do the job of a tonegard

Default 'Invented' a brace to do the job of a tonegard

I have long toyed with making something that would do the job of a Tonegard (the wire lattice device that goes across the back of a mandolin to separate the back of the instrument from the player's stomach, thereby letting the back vibrate freely, making the mandolin louder).

The popularity of the Tonegard among top players is evidence enough that it performs a useful function, but I live too far away from the source to try one out - and, in any case, don't find its design very appealing. So I decided to try and make something that would do the same job.

I never make anything. I have had no woodworking experience since I was in high school more than forty years ago. I am not clever with my hands. All of which is meant to excuse and/or explain the simplicity and roughness of my simple creation.

I sourced adjustable brackets long enough for the job; I worked out that violin chinrest brackets would not be long enough - so I bought viola chinrest brackets, which are a bit longer.

Then I got my piece of wood. After considering this very carefully, I picked a piece that was lying by the side of the road. I have no idea what it is, though I am fairly sure it came from an old packing crate. Not exactly high-quality timber, then, but the price was about right for an experiment that could well come to nothing.

I don't have a workshop. I don't even have a workbench or a vise, so I made do with a sturdy outdoor picnic table and a couple of C-clamps. With wood rasps and a selection of files, I eventually hand-carved the shape of the bracket, a process that took many hours. I cut up a cork table mat to raise the 'feet' of the brace high enough to allow it to clear the shape of the mandolin back (a job made more crucial because I cut the wooden feet too short ), and I drilled holes for the viola chinrest brackets that were tight enough for me to screw the threaded ends straight into the wood. No glue required. I attached soft leather to the metal feet of the brackets where they rest on the mandolin top.

Many, many coats of walnut lacquer with almost as many sanding sessions in between coats finished it off.

It'll never win a beauty contest (though it is effectively invisible, save for the brass feet of the viola brackets), and it is extremely functional, and works well. The mandolin is certainly a lot louder than when it did not have the brace attached - for, I suspect, exactly the same reasons the Tonegard is so effective.

I worried that it would be uncomfortable, but after a few minutes I was no longer aware of it being there - and the increased volume and clearer ring of the instrument (a no-name 1970s Japanese F5 copy) made it all worthwhile. I haven't weighed it, but it is so light that I now don't notice it at all.

Oh, and the instrument still easily fits into my TKL case without the brace being removed.

Total cost of parts about twelve bucks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view#5 web.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	136539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view#6 web.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	136540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view#7 web.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	136541  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side view#1 web.jpg 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	136542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top view web.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	136543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view#1 web.jpg 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	136544  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 'Invented' a brace to do the job of a tonegard

There have been other devices that people have put together that will keep the back of the body off your belly. The concept is the same, it holds the back out away from your body so it can vibrate. Generally those that build armrests for mandolins use Viola chinrest brackets as well. If it works for you that's great.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Congratulations, Ron. You have shown remarkable patience and resilience here, working with virtually nothing in the way of tools, etc, and have come up with a functional device which serves the purpose and which gives you a more enjoyable experience of playing your instrument. What more could a fellow ask for?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

My thinking to really solve this problem,is to play way the bill Monroe plays.not his music style but the actual way he plays.he puts a strap on a F model and slings it around his right shoulder.if you look at a photo of him playing,the mandolin is perpendicular to his body.the bottom does not touch him at all,totally free.with the strap on the right shoulder,the mandolin tends to swing out to the right,naturally keeping the bottom of the mandolin off the body.

7. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Most of the old guys did that when they were taking a break. Sometimes called "Machine gun style". It's easier with the Tonegard
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I just found a thread for a product known as a Stuart Hugger that sounds like this. The site for the person making them is offline. Here is an old thread that describes them.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I have long toyed with making something that would do the job of a Tonegard (the wire lattice device that goes across the back of a mandolin to separate the back of the instrument from the player's stomach, thereby letting the back vibrate freely, making the mandolin louder).

The popularity of the Tonegard among top players is evidence enough that it performs a useful function, but I live too far away from the source to try one out - and, in any case, don't find its design very appealing. So I decided to try and make something that would do the same job.

I never make anything. I have had no woodworking experience since I was in high school more than forty years ago. I am not clever with my hands. All of which is meant to excuse and/or explain the simplicity and roughness of my simple creation.

I sourced adjustable brackets long enough for the job; I worked out that violin chinrest brackets would not be long enough - so I bought viola chinrest brackets, which are a bit longer.

Then I got my piece of wood. After considering this very carefully, I picked a piece that was lying by the side of the road. I have no idea what it is, though I am fairly sure it came from an old packing crate. Not exactly high-quality timber, then, but the price was about right for an experiment that could well come to nothing.

I don't have a workshop. I don't even have a workbench or a vise, so I made do with a sturdy outdoor picnic table and a couple of C-clamps. With wood rasps and a selection of files, I eventually hand-carved the shape of the bracket, a process that took many hours. I cut up a cork table mat to raise the 'feet' of the brace high enough to allow it to clear the shape of the mandolin back (a job made more crucial because I cut the wooden feet too short ), and I drilled holes for the viola chinrest brackets that were tight enough for me to screw the threaded ends straight into the wood. No glue required. I attached soft leather to the metal feet of the brackets where they rest on the mandolin top.

Many, many coats of walnut lacquer with almost as many sanding sessions in between coats finished it off.

It'll never win a beauty contest (though it is effectively invisible, save for the brass feet of the viola brackets), and it is extremely functional, and works well. The mandolin is certainly a lot louder than when it did not have the brace attached - for, I suspect, exactly the same reasons the Tonegard is so effective.

I worried that it would be uncomfortable, but after a few minutes I was no longer aware of it being there - and the increased volume and clearer ring of the instrument (a no-name 1970s Japanese F5 copy) made it all worthwhile. I haven't weighed it, but it is so light that I now don't notice it at all.

Oh, and the instrument still easily fits into my TKL case without the brace being removed.

Total cost of parts about twelve bucks.
    It was truly a pleasure to read this amazing picture of infinite humility.
    And for me, everytime I have asked (in tonegard threads) if it will fit the case - I got zero replies.
    Thank you so much for sharing this process and your experience with it.
    Just a joy to read.

Myst.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

11. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    ...everytime I have asked (in tonegard threads) if it will fit the case - I got zero replies.
    Have you been asking about Tonegards? The answer is yes in most cases.

You got at least one answer in this one. I couldn't find any other threads where you asked. I guess I might have missed one in the search. My F5G fits in my Calton case with the Tonegard on. My Weber Festival A fit in the standard Canadian case with it on, and my Strad-O-Lin fits in it's cheapo Musicians Friend A style case with it on.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I have a Travelite case and have no problems with my Tonegard on my Yellowstone. And it also fits in my original Weber hard case.

15. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Thanks, Ron! I've had similar thoughts about constructing my own. Maybe your example will get me moving!

17. The following members say thank you to Rush Burkhardt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Have you been asking about Tonegards? The answer is yes in most cases.

You got at least one answer in this one. I couldn't find any other threads where you asked. I guess I might have missed one in the search. My F5G fits in my Calton case with the Tonegard on. My Weber Festival A fit in the standard Canadian case with it on, and my Strad-O-Lin fits in it's cheapo Musicians Friend A style case with it on.
    Thanks Mike, that was a good response from Emmett - very descriptive.

I have not seen one, and likely won't in the area where I live.

But I do like the idea of the one shown here in this thread. Very creative.

And I have much to learn; and a lot of curiosity about many possibilities. It seems it's unlimited.

Thanks again. I do save a lot of info from various threads of interest; and there are many. Some of what I save is ongoing research, for future reference. And I keep records of those, somewhat organized, with links, etc. from all over. It's just my process. And it's not perfect; but it helps me. In fact I am often amazed at how it helps me. Continuously learning.

Myst.

= Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

Take a look at this search. They are actually a pretty elegant solution.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

20. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Looks like a good solution, Ron. Probably lighter than a Tone-Gard, too. I have some ideas for building integral solutions, which will essentially be false backs, to solve the same problem without affecting case fit or or appearance. But your approach works just fine for an existing instrument. Rock on.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Looks like a good solution, Ron. Probably lighter than a Tone-Gard, too.
    You made me curious, so I removed it from the mandolin (takes about 30 seconds; putting it back on might take about one minute) and popped it on the kitchen scales. I knew it was light, but was surprised to see it is only about 40 grams, or about 1.5 ounces

24. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

That's a nice job you've done there Ron. I had a very similar idea a long while back,but my problem was trying to find a non-clamping method of attachment. Those Violin style clamps scare the dickens out of me. The clamps on an arm rest that i bought several years ago, pressed against the side of the mandolin after i'd put it back in it's case,& flaked a piece of the finish off -so,no more !. I decided the simply holding the mandolin at 45deg.to my body should do the trick,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

People who "never make anything" may put in more time, dedication and concept than those who make a thousand things every day. Good-looking, doing its job - unbeatable.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

I made one error in the original posting. The case that the F5 easily fits into while the brace is attached is not a TKL, but a Travelite. I do have a TKL, but it is for my A4 mandolin.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

This guy made one out of a coat hanger

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...ele-tone-frame
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    This guy made one out of a coat hanger

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...ele-tone-frame
    Other than Ron's solution, this one succeeded in surpassing the original's ugliness while falling short of its robustness.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Nice job Ron! It looks good!

32. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    Nice job Ron! It looks good!
    Compliments from great builders like Skip and Marty and John Kelly are praise indeed. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Naydan View Post
    My thinking to really solve this problem,is to play way the bill Monroe plays.not his music style but the actual way he plays.he puts a strap on a F model and slings it around his right shoulder.if you look at a photo of him playing,the mandolin is perpendicular to his body.the bottom does not touch him at all,totally free.with the strap on the right shoulder,the mandolin tends to swing out to the right,naturally keeping the bottom of the mandolin off the body.
    Some people can play that way, some people can't. I find it nearly impossible to get a decent tone from the mandolin when I hold it away from my body. Not to mention that my playing gets very sloppy playing that way.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    And for me, everytime I have asked (in tonegard threads) if it will fit the case - I got zero replies.
    My J Bovier A5 Special fits in the shaped case with just a bit of snugness. I had a Breedlove OF that had a ToneGard on it and it did not fit in the Travelite case I was using then. That same mandolin fit just fine in the shaped case I am using now.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

36. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Well, it seems that TG+caseFit is often ok; and sometimes not.

It amazes me often that many things can be "attached" to mandos. Many of these might affect case fit, and also the overall weight, and balance of the mando.

Attachments = tonegard, pickguard, arm rest, strapLock, pickups, mics, wiring, mounting systems for several of these items, pickHolders, straps, various Bridges, TailPieces of varying shapes, weights, and heights, tuningStuff, wireless, hands free cellphone holder?

What did I forget? A sign?
    "No, it's not a ukelele?" "Keep out, under construction?". "Beware of falling objects?" "Somewhere under all this stuff, lurks a mandothingey"? "Yes, it's still a mandothingey?"

And I think about strap-balance re headstock-nosedive - and offset the tendency w (choose from list above). This reminds me of my childhood bicycle, decorated with streamers and mudflaps and lights. "No, it's not a harley".

(more)
    Somewhere I saw a pix of a toneguard that was an extension of a tailpiece - all of it in relatively heavy metal. The TG part was just a shaped flat piece of metal (over the backplate) that rested on tummy and attached at the tailpiece end only. I thought it was strange; but now i think it might balance rather well, or could be made to order - size, weight, specs.?

Human creativity >> unlimited.