Thread: Strad-O-Lin or Eastman?

Default Strad-O-Lin or Eastman?

Hi All,

Longtime lurker here posting for the first time. So I'm looking to buy my first mandolin, and a couple of options have popped up locally: a vintage Strad-O-Lin and an Eastman 505. Through a fluke, the two are actually kind of close in price. The Strad is a little over priced and the Eastman is on sale because of a store closing. Here's my question: for a first mando, which would you choose? I'm looking for a bluegrass machine, but keep in mind that I'm a total beginner. Played guitar for 15 years, but never touched a mandolin before the other day.

I should mention that what really drew me to the mandolin was the chop sound. So if neither of these options would fit the bill, would you recommend something else instead?

Thanks!

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: Strad-O-Lin or Eastman?

If the eastman comes with a good setup i would buy it , but i do like both
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I'd choose the Eastman.

The Eastman, absolutely, without question. It is a known quantity with a consistent set of specs. By contrast, Strad O Lins through the years have run the gamut, from cheaply made to nicely made, both plywood and solid, both carved and pressed, depending on when and where it was made. You know for sure the Eastman is all solid, all carved, good wood and from a good shop. For you, it is a no brainer. I know Strad O Lins have a great following here, but to me its a great choice as a secondary backup instrument, fun instrument, camping instrument, beach instrument, office instrument, etc. with lots of vintage mojo and conversation appeal, but not a primary instrument for a beginner.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The problem with buying vintage instruments is that they rarely come not needing any work at all.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Love 'em both, but if I had to pick one --

Eastman 505.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I guess you have to ask yourself, "are you a vintage guy?" I am, so without question I would choose the Strad-O-Lin. If you have been playing guitar for 15 years, you can easily tell if the mandolin has nice action or any structural problems, so I don't consider that an issue (unless it has problems, of course!)

The Eastman gets good reviews here and probably would be a trouble-free choice. But the fact that you even ask the question makes me think vintage instruments appeal to you, right? You don't mention a price range, but you can also find 50's & 60's Gibson A-40's for $400-600 and Gibson A-50's for just a little more (on eBay), so that might be another possibility...

Heck, I've had plenty of $30 Harmony's and Stella's that played and sounded (well, I might be exaggerating about the sound...) about as good as anything I remember, so it all depends on waiting for that good deal.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

+1 for the Eastman. The Strad might have a better sound and gotta love the mojo that comes with vintage tone. But you can't beat modern tuners that work and the warranty that comes with a new mandolin.

This is like asking 'for my first car, should I buy a 50s Pontiac or a new Honda?'

I would play both or have someone play both, especially listening to the chop if that is what is important to you. In my opinion Eastman, as a rule don't have a good chop, some Strat o ins do some don't.

I have an Eastman 505 that is a very good mandolin. Not "good for the money," mind you (I never understand this line of thinking...) but a good instrument on its own. I have never played or even seen a Strad-o-lin in person though. My Eastman has plenty of volume, and a nice full tone overall. I upgraded the bridge to a CA and was still under 500 dollars since I got the instrument used. This past Christmas my wife got me a Collings that I truly love. If not for that, I'd have gotten along just fine with the Eastman for all of life. Highly recommend looking closely at the 505.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It looks like Eastman is the favorite. I'll post back here if I end up getting it with some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    This is like asking 'for my first car, should I buy a 50s Pontiac or a new Honda?'
    Hah! Fair enough. I think we all that the right answer to that is option C, the beat up old Mustang with 200,000 miles on it.

Vintage instruments do appeal to me, but I think that the maintenance required might not be what I'm looking for with a first mandolin. Thanks all!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

If youŽre able to play it, youŽll imediately know if itŽs better than an Eastman. I would not trade my Strad-O-Lin for a mandolin in the 3 - 4 k range.

I also disagree that by buying a vintage instrument youŽll buy repair necessity. Normally an at least 70 year old instrument should have no major repairs coming. The neck is either straight (then buy the instrument) or it is not (then forget about it). Either there is a dip behind the bridge or there is none, etc.

I have not seen any Eastman that could shine the shoes of my Strad-O-Lin. Even Lloyd Loar F-5 players have made compliments of my mandolins power and tone.

When I bought my Strad-O-Lin I virtually played all mandolins in the shop. Among them was a Bill Monroe F-5L (think 90ies), old Gibson A-4s (out of my price range), Kentucky mandolins (nice but no cigar). When it came down to a decision that would put the price into perspective to the quality there was no instrument like the Strad-O-Lin. It is still a favorite (not only for me but among music buddies).

DonŽt close your eyes though. I think that Strad-O-LinŽs from the 30ies and 40ies are interesting. I would not consider Strads from the 50ies onward. Do your homework and you might score a great instrument, like this one http://antebelluminstruments.blogspo...-mandolin.html or this one (great instrument) or this one or this or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNaJkXAthrw (shoot the player; the instrument is great though - this is the kind I especially like) or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZJYzXeiSM.

Checking out these videos youŽll see the differences in the instruments.

So.. go out and get yourself a Strad.
    Olaf

That's an excellent Strad-O-Lin, but they're not all like that. Mine has a heat-pressed, rather than a carved top, and Eastman tops are hand-carved (or at least hand-finished-carved).

Remember, the OP's buying his/her first mandolin. While no brand or model can be absolutely guaranteed to be trouble-free, I'd agree with the conventional wisdom that a new instrument, unplayed and unworn, and backed by manufacturer warranty, is less of a risk than a used mandolin, whose manufacturer is no longer in business -- and of a brand which, despite the fact that Strads are surprisingly good for the price, was basically a "trade quality" product. My Strad-O-Lin has painted-on "binding," inexpensive tuners that have needed button replacement, no truss rod, and other "economy" features.

If you get a great Strad-O-Lin, you're getting a great mandolin by any standard, though not sure I'd pick one over an F-5! (I assume the F-5 was outside the price range, if the A-4 was as well.) But for a first instrument, purchased by a relatively inexperienced buyer who might have more difficulty in determining relative features and quality, I'd still recommend the Eastman.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    That's an excellent Strad-O-Lin, but they're not all like that. Mine has a heat-pressed, rather than a carved top, and Eastman tops are hand-carved (or at least hand-finished-carved).
    ThatŽs true enough. I donŽt think that the "quality" can be generalized. Like I said, youŽll have to do your homework. And with the information out there like in the youtube videos, your homework helpers are available.

Remember, the OP's buying his/her first mandolin. While no brand or model can be absolutely guaranteed to be trouble-free, I'd agree with the conventional wisdom that a new instrument, unplayed and unworn, and backed by manufacturer warranty, is less of a risk than a used mandolin, whose manufacturer is no longer in business -- and of a brand which, despite the fact that Strads are surprisingly good for the price, was basically a "trade quality" product. My Strad-O-Lin has painted-on "binding," inexpensive tuners that have needed button replacement, no truss rod, and other "economy" features.
    My Strad was my first mandolin. And yes, I was and still am lucky. You get what you pay for. The tuners may not be great. The intonation of the fretboard might be a little shakey. But... your average Eastman (or Loar etc) that comes from a dealer may equally not have a great setup and needs fiddling (like refitting the bridge etc.). On the other hand, an instrument that survived 80 years will not likely go under in our time if it is treated half decently.

If you get a great Strad-O-Lin, you're getting a great mandolin by any standard, though not sure I'd pick one over an F-5! (I assume the F-5 was outside the price range, if the A-4 was as well.) But for a first instrument, purchased by a relatively inexperienced buyer who might have more difficulty in determining relative features and quality, I'd still recommend the Eastman.
    YouŽll have to play before youŽll pay. But I would put my Strad up with many A-5, A-4, F-5 and F-4 style mandolins when it comes to tone. To my mind itŽs the best bang for the buck and definitely well worth more than an entry level modern mandolin.

But true enough, your caveat is valuable - for any purchase -. The instrument must be in good playing condition, it must not need any repairs and it must meet the necessary standards of setup. If youŽll buy from a well known music shop, youŽre set with a great little instrument.
    Olaf

16. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

An old adage and possibly even a truism, "old wood is good wood."

I have a year old 505 that was professionally set up that sounds as good as it looks. Selling it because I found a great deal on a Collings MT that I couldn't pass up. It'll come with a Superior HSC and strap for $500. in lower 48. No dings, dents or
    scratches on both mando and case.

Nick, if you have an instrument to sell, it belongs in the classifieds, not here. You are violating forum guidelines.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks all, another lurker here in a similar, slightly more advanced place than the OP. I'm a long time guitar player, and my wife got me a Hora (Rumanian) domeback as my first mando. Pretty common student-level instrument here in Europe. Not precious by any stretch, but with a setup, it sounds surprisingly good, and I've found I want to keep going with the instrument. The MAS has started... I bought an old restored French flatback a week ago, but really I'm aiming for an A-style instrument. As much as Strad-o-lins appeal to me, I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on one here to try out, and there's an Eastman dealer just across the border in France. So ... at least I can check it out to know what suits me.

Blog Entries

I don't have, nor have I played an Eastman, but their reputation in the Cafe is strong. I would think for your first and only mandolin it would be the better choice. Like you, I would like to have a Strad-0-Lin (as an additional mandolin).
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"