Thread: Flashplayer, Firefox and Youtube

Default Flashplayer, Firefox and Youtube

Firefox users may have noticed that Firefox now automatically blocks the Flash Player plug-in with a warning that all versions of Flash are unsafe. I have just noticed that this has implications for the Cafe embedding of Youtube videos: videos embedded using the "Youtube" button (as I normally do) are blocked in Firefox, but videos embedded using the "Insert video" button are not.

I presume this means that the code for the "Youtube" asks the server for a Flash video, but the "Insert video" button code supports HTML5.

This may be too deep in the underlying forum software, but is there a way for embedded videos to default to HMTL5 rather than Flash for both methods of embedding?

Thanks!

Martin

Default Re: Flashplayer, Firefox and Youtube

Martin,

I just found out that Adobe Flash player had a fairly substantial update. After installing the update Firefox doesn't block the Flash player anymore.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Blog Entries

At this time I think this is more about saber rattling between software giants. It's not necessarily a permanent move if Adobe fixes their issues. While I was reading this I was actually in FF on OSX and received an update notice. OK, good I said, so I can install this and see the block. Installed latest and restarted. I could still see videos embedded using the simpler embed video button. However, I read one site it's like 39.0.5 or whatever. Current OSX stable on my box says only 39. Betting if I was on my PC at home I'd see the block. I checked the support forum for this software which is one of the larger forum providers on the internet, not a single discussion about it I could find. This article from Computerworld which I think is the best I've read says you can easily sidestep it with a single click. There may be a fix out there for HTML 5 and I will look into if this starts to be a problem. Personally I've never been a fan of Flash so someone pushing them to either get it together or kill it works for me. We do have a large group of FF 38.0 users but just a fraction at 39 although it's clearly on the rise.

I've long advocated for use of the YouTube and Vimeo buttons for embedding code warning of issues like this but you can't direct users on the internet how to insert content. Hopefully this will get sorted out. I'm out of the country now but will look into this further when I return this weekend.

I'm no longer getting the blocking messages after installing the flash update (FF 39, OSX).
    I agree, not a fan of flash.

Thanks, Scott. You're quite right that it's easy enough to override the blocking of the plug-in, but what surprised me is that the Youtube button envokes Flash at all -- the Youtube site itself is now all-HTML5 so it's not affected at all and I did not expect to see blocked videos on the Cafe.

But you're quite right it's not an issue that requires immediate action on your part.

Just for clarification, what is your preferred method of embedding video: using the Youtube button or using the "Insert video" button?

Martin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Just for clarification, what is your preferred method of embedding video: using the Youtube button or using the "Insert video" button?

Martin
    Former. Wrote about it ad nauseum here but I doubt anyone read it. For that matter about 3/4 of the users don't know how to embed.

7. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Blog Entries

Test of an HTML5 audio MP3 player inserted using BB Code. Never mind me. No meta data. Looks awful on my iPhone 6 unless in mobile style. Sad, but easy to implement. Mutters to self.

[MP3player]http://www.mandolincafe.net/mp3/littlerock.mp3[/MP3player]
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jul-23-2015 at 8:07am.

Firefox has been my browser of choice for years but I finally had to remove it from my work PC's because I could no longer do my job because it wouldn't hit half of the embedded web sites that my equipment has built in. I'm quickly becoming a non-fan. They used to give you the option to proceed to sites they didn't like. Now they simply block them.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The HTML player is showing and working fine by the way.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber